Window Screen

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can window screen be used for the bottom of pots? We are getting new windows and I have a bunch of window screen that I can use. I am not sure if it is too small of holes.

Thanks

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will work but too small and may clog easily. Also too soft...if you have bigger holes on your pots, it may sag.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
good point. Did not think about the sag.

Does anyone have the hole size in normal Bonsai Mesh? I have been using the fabric used for reinforcement in asphalt roofs. comes from Lowes in a roll of 15 ft or so and is about 6" long.
I think this is also incorrect size.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am using the plastic mesh from craft stores and using #7...which translates to 7 holes per inch (or 7 x 7 = 49 holes per square inch)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been using window screen for 3 years on training pots with holes up to 1/2 inch and it has not clogged yet.

Bigger holes could be an issue with sagging as Dario stated.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I guess it would depend a but if it was nylon or metal, just a thought ;)

Grimmy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
generally window screening is too fine unless you use well washed inorganic that has no silt, or anything that will break down.
The plastic mesh for bonsai pots has roughly 1/8" holes. Splurge at the crafts store and look for something used for cross stitch or similar.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have used " hardware cloth" which is wire mesh. It comes in various gauges and is sold by the foot. Often used to screen critters out of attics. I still have some I'm using up. The craft plastic stuff is probably more convenient and easier to cut.

By the way, one of my students had some "Joshua Roth" mesh. It was very flimsy. I wouldn't use it.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have used " hardware cloth" which is wire mesh. It comes in various gauges and is sold by the foot. Often used to screen critters out of attics. I still have some I'm using up. The craft plastic stuff is probably more convenient and easier to cut.

By the way, one of my students had some "Joshua Roth" mesh. It was very flimsy. I wouldn't use it.

I use hardware cloth but could only find 1/4" at my store. I bought a huge roll for $20. I just use a fine layer of pea gravel at the base of my pots since my soil is sieved down to 1/8". I haven't had any issues.

And as far as the Roth screen, it is extremely flimsy. I only use it on very small holes.

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
I just finished up 3 rolls of screen on these training pots. I bought the pet proof stuff made to withstand cats clawing and dogs heads going through so figured it was on stronger side. I do only use inorganic soil mix with large pumice layer on bottom. I couldn't find anything I thought would work better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 25

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use hardware cloth but could only find 1/4" at my store. I bought a huge roll for $20. I just use a fine layer of pea gravel at the base of my pots since my soil is sieved down to 1/8". I haven't had any issues.

And as far as the Roth screen, it is extremely flimsy. I only use it on very small holes.
Jarrod, be careful using what you think will be a (coarser) drainage layer. That has been thought to ADD to drainage problems, not help. It might be better to put a 2nd layer of screen at a 45 degree angle and go with ONE size of soil particle (large) for everything. The latest info suggests that a large particle adds to more air in the rootzone, and that is a good thing. Having multiple layers of substrate leads to poor drainage, which means too much moisture is retained and therefore less air. Food for thought.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for the heads up. I don't anticipate any issues since I probably have less that 1/4" in height of gravel at the bottom. My trees are all new to training so they aren't in shallow containers. I probably have at least 2"-3" of good soil below the lowest root before hitting gravel.

I'll keep an eye on it though.

Top Bottom