Winter Silhouette Show

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I started to do a virt of the tree and kept changing it. @Adair M and I stood in front of the tree for a while and talked about it. As far as tree design goes, for such a powerful tree there really isn't a design. If you look at the foliage mass all you see is a green blob. There is no movement. There is no refinement. In fact, it is hard to tell where the apex is supposed to be, and you can't see the upper 1/3 of the trunk, so when I was doing my virt I was just making things up because I don't know where the trunk line is.

The pot is a soft, feminine pot for such a strong masculine tree. I think it should be bigger and stronger. The oak plank "stand" is not strong enough for the tree, and you lose the pot because (in addition to it being small) it is the same color tone as the stand. I think the suiseki is too small and I would replace it with a weak element to counter the tree... perhaps something thin and frail like beach grasses. The weakness catching your eye and balancing the display... whereas right now the black suiseki is lost. (granted the black tablecloth and black backdrop don't help a black stone stand out)

So if I am thinking these things... the judges are probably thinking them. When I looked at @Adair M tree, I did not have these concerns. Rather I enjoyed the display for what it was and how the elements worked. I might over time extend his descending branch a little more because right now it is too symmetrical (to my eye) but he disagrees :) So I will have to buy his tree and do it :)
Thank you for your critique. I completely see what you're explaining now. I haven't been playing with trees very long but I am in love with it....all. Maybe I should join the Bonsai Society of the Carolinas to help further my education.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Different pot and stand selection for sure. The slab for the stone doesn't fit well either at least in my eyes. Healthy tree no doubt, but the composition was not thoroughly thought out.

Top Bottom