"Winter Silhouettes" Baikoen Bonsai Kenkyukai Jan 18 - Jan 19 2014

halfclueless

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wanting to let you Baikoen Bonsai Club is having their annual Winter Sihouettes this coming weekend. Jan 18-19 2014 from 10am to 4:30pm at the LA Arboretum. Saturday Night Reception on Sat starting at 5:30pm with Tako Drum and 3 club Round Robin!

I hope to see some of you guys there!

Best,

Tom

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is by far my favorite show in So. Cal. Some awesome trees- all bare naked. If there is any way you can make it you really should.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
This is my favorite show too. I go almost every year since 1994. I never get tired of it, even though many of the trees are repeat. After a while it is kinda nice to see the old trees again. The sad part is sometimes you don't see the old trees (and their owners' names ) anymore and you wondered what happened to them. This is probably one of the oldest bonsai show in this country. Tom or BonsaiBP can tell us more about this show's history please.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Not sure of dates but I believe its at least 40 years old. The club was started by Frank Nagata one of the co-founders of Ca Bonsai Society and a long time bonsai nurseryman. After Frank passed his daughter Kai Komei and son-in-law Khan Komei continued the tradition.
The shows features trees from members and invited exhibitors from the So. Cal. bonsai community.

The Saturday night reception which is open to all in the bonsai community and features a giant pot luck dinner- for usually 200 or more people, entertainment and a giant raffle is the first big bonsai event of the year that we all look forward to. Clubs from Pheniox, Vegas , San Diego, Santa Barbara etc. organize bus trips to attend.
I hope I didn't mess this up too much- in any case it is a show not to be missed.

halfclueless

Sapling
Reaction score
Bob pretty much nailed it in the head. Just not 40 but it is the 50th show! Other than that Bob you did a great job suming it up. Btw Bob I'm still got a silver sharpie for you to mark your tickets with your famous squiggly line!

Tom

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
at the risk of being misconstrued, ...

Attachments

• this thread is worthless.jpg
    this thread is worthless.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 52

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I only took this one picture. It's a Korean hornbeam by Lindsey Shiba. Sorry always sideways when I upload from my iPhone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 44

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
It was a very nice show. Here are a few pictures. I did not take pics of every tree though.
This first one is a huge Chinese elm clump style bonsai by Jim Barrett. The hut suiseki next to it is pretty cool, but it may not be entirely natural.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
This is my favorite tree there. It is a huge Korean hornbeam by Lindsey Shiba. It's about 30 in tall. The branches' ramifications are just incredible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 36

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Some more cool trees. Sorry I forgot the names of the artists on these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 34

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Some shohin from Peter Macasieb. He's on here sometime. Hopefully he would have better pics on these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 28

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
A few more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 25

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:( I missed this show! Thanks for those pictures.
Bonhe

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm reposting my comments here as I posted under the announcement - probably the wrong place!

I just returned to Seattle from the Winter Silhouettes exhibition at the LA County Arboretum. It was interesting to see so many deciduous trees in one place! Several with fruits attached were especially enchanting - like the persimmon in the photo above. I ended up playing docent (even with my limited knowledge) to my family members, a friend and some randoms...so I couldn't just sit and stare at the trees as much as I would have liked. The most common question asked: "How old is that tree?" which I couldn't answer with anything more than a guess.

Suggestions for future shows: it would be fabulous to know an approximate age of the tree, who made the pot (local potter, Chinese, Japanese, etc.), how long in training as bonsai, is it yamadori/yardadori, and style of bonsai? I think only the species of tree was mentioned.

Lots of odds and ends for sale. Beauty shots were being taken of each tree - which on the larger species, gave people an idea of the massiveness of the entire tree with pot (some were quite large). I wasn't able to attend the demonstrations.

Top Bottom