Worth the effort? (Bald Cypress)

ptrk

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Found this 10 foot bald cypress at Lowes for half the sticker price. It’s in rough shape but I like the taper on it (even if the root mass is likely a total mess).

2 questions come to mind. Does this thing stand a chance at recovering? If it does, is it worth the effort?

I’m not familiar with bald cypress so any insight would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• B92B6115-67A1-413A-A26F-6534EE846B95.jpeg
    B92B6115-67A1-413A-A26F-6534EE846B95.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 578A7A36-0F74-4416-8673-F7AF4ED581DD.jpeg
    578A7A36-0F74-4416-8673-F7AF4ED581DD.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 68

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Honestly being in Austin Would think you can find a smaller one for a fraction of the price and grow it out a year or two and have an acceptable start instead of gambling $135 on a tree that is questionable. I’m sure if you took a field trip to the gulf coast you could probably find nice ones cheap, or free. On the other hand bald cypresses are tough trees. If you do decide to purchase it get the pot in a tub of water filled to half the height of the soil line so it can drink all it needs to recover…BC are thirsty trees. Probably why it’s browning at lowes. I’d be bold and ask if they would do a 2 for the price of 1 deal on them. You may get lucky and get 2 to play with.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seems expensive I was reading other BC threads and people are saying they grew them to 3+ inches in less than 4 years. You could get some 5-15 dollar plugs and in a few years have something that big or bigger.

If not I like the idea above. I’ve gotten very bold at HD and have gotten stuff for sale that was already on sale. I call it the sweet talk super sale haha

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's good that they consider corporations "people" nowadays, kinda makes it good so you could slap the shit out of them. Mmmmm. Powder.

I think I paid like 30 for mine, if it didn't have the same problem this one does it would have been that thick in a couple years, but it did, so it died, as that one will.

Ought shave it into a large tapering piece of deadwood and have the manager take a seat to talk about why they are trying to rip you off.

If that doesn't work have the Fire Inspector come in and declare it a hazard. When a nearby garden orb focuses the sun and ignites it, well, that would be a high at Lowes, the only high, besides the prices.

IMO!

Sorce

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
NO

You can get a seedling or a 1 gal tree and develop a trunk thicker than and with lower better ramification in 1-2 years for less than $30. If you bought it, soak that root ball and set the container in at least 1/3 its height in a tub of water. Almost every BC I see in this conditions at box stores have been neglected and are severely dehydrated.

If you haven't, look at more options. I know there are a lot of nurseries around Austin that have them. I think there is also one of the colleges in the area that sells seedlings, like 100 for a stupid price like $30-50 for "reforestation".

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There is a decent chance that the tree will recover. Just regular frequent watering and a few drops of Super-thrive will likely perk it back up.

The tree is not worth $130 in that state though.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Lowes here in Houston has BC that size for $100, I'm waiting for them to be half off. They'll think theyre all dying around fall when the leaves change and mark em down. I wouldn't buy a brown one at this point in the season though

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that cracked dowel holding the tree up or is it the other way around? Or is it two potted dowels holding each other up? Idk. For some reason I can't help but think about the Monty Python parrot sketch.

Top Bottom