Zuisho JWP Newbie

HankDio

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Zuisho is one I don't have but I have many dwarfs. A have seeds to plant and have done well with other pines but I am looking for larger seedlings for grafting and alternate propagation methods for the JWP cultivars I do have.
Good luck on your journey! To my knowledge there are scant few alternatives to grafting for p. parviflora as a species. Zuisho is the only genetic individual I am aware of that can propagate from cuttings and air-layer.

The crux of any cultivar is that they are clones, and therefore much of their behavior as a genetic clone is widely known and somewhat predictable. Perhaps another approach depending on your timeline would be to plant many seeds (say, 100) and experiment with the most interesting individuals. Perhaps you could be the pioneer of the Penumbra cultivar. 😉

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck on your journey! To my knowledge there are scant few alternatives to grafting for p. parviflora as a species. Zuisho is the only genetic individual I am aware of that can propagate from cuttings and air-layer.

The crux of any cultivar is that they are clones, and therefore much of their behavior as a genetic clone is widely known and somewhat predictable. Perhaps another approach depending on your timeline would be to plant many seeds (say, 100) and experiment with the most interesting individuals. Perhaps you could be the pioneer of the Penumbra cultivar. 😉
That is fine. I never even suspected there were any that could be rooted or air layered. Timeline, well I'm 72 now..............

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Kokonoe JWP will can also be layered. This tree, a Kokopoe:

0AC6C972-5F33-4534-9430-44AE56F12927.jpeg

was originally on JBP stock, but the trunk was buried in the soil, and a second set of JWP roots grew out above the original JBP roots. The JBP rootstock has now been removed, so this tree is now “on it’s own roots”.

Top Bottom