100% diatomite for soil?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yep. Me too. Simple.

Funny since I posted that I started using a Organic Nursery type mix I make myself. Plants do just fine in it and require a lot less maintenance. It drains very good here and looking at it over a couple of years I am certain I have better roots now and more robust growth.

Not certain why as I spent a lot of time on everything when inorganic :confused:

Can't get pumice cost effectively here

Your mix the plants came in seems to be fine. I will most likely just repot 1 or 2 of the 12 this season giving them a little more space.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just wanted you all to see what DE did at the bottom of a pot at 115F after 4 hours.
You're preaching to the choir here.
I know all about how good this stuff is.
I don't get to try it out at 115 degrees though.
Thank God.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Could you reveal what's in it? PM if you'd rather.:cool:

I have been using 1/3 each of Fafard Topsoil(pure black compost very fine ground), Course Silica sand(any brand, I have Quikrete this year), and Horticultural Perlite. If it is a acidic loving plant I add a generous amount of Canadian sphagnum peat moss. Either combination drains the same as ANY inorganic I have tried and allows great root growth. For much larger potting I also add Pine bark mulch instead of the Canadian sphagnum - in 12 to 15 gallon pots it drains far better ;)

Grimmy

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Thanks Grimmy. That's a radical change. I don't see how it can drain as well as pumice with all the fines but I'll bet you don't have to water as much. Wouldn't mind that at all.

Top Bottom