2015 Box Store Challenge Advanced Entries

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like B-Nuts tree a lot, I think it could have a bit more movement in the branches.
I think sawgrass entry is awesome! I love it... half of this contest was chosing the right tree and I think this gave her a large advantage. That said... that azalea is a tree I would love to have.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think Walter did a great job in critiquing and in judging.

Judging a competition is very difficult; the material being judged is subject to the personal opinion and taste of the judge, which is why most of the time there are several judges to balance this bias. I think Walter did a great job by himself however and was as unbiased as one can be.

I was between the azalea from sawgrass that won and the windswept that Bnut
posted as well.

Windswept is so hard to pull off yet I think Bnut did great. This submission probably took the most work and consideration to achieve the desired design of them all, i.e. what branch to remove, lots of wire, etc. If it was based on the greatest transformation from what you started with to final product, this would be the winner. The only thing I notice is the apex on the largest tree looks very awkward and should have been removed or shortened. Looks too contrived.

That azalea had killer roots and already looks like a finished bonsai, which probably led to its position of first place. With a repot this is going to be show worthy really.

All submissions were great though.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Congrats to sawgrass for the win, its a nice result.
Im sure this will be even better on future.

I also like the windswept but it doesnt look well enough yet, a bit too many branches , some more jin, some shari, this tree has probably most potential to improve.

The acacia is also well done, but the trunk is a bit too thin, itll be hard to improve it

Sorce lost his tools??

Grtz

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
2) cytisus

material: not so good, but still OK. Good for natural broom form

result: cutting is fine, but no wiring! Why in the world would one not wire EVERYTHING for such a challenge?

No virtual necessary as not styled anyway.

Ranking: place 4 of advanced

Walter, I want to thank you for the time and effort you put into this. You, of course, are correct. I can see a lot of placement that would have been improved by wire. Instruction taken. Also, I could have picked more promising material and I do regret that choice so again thank you for the instruction.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A lot of fun! Thanks Vin for organizing, and also tremendous thanks to Walter for judging.

I had an interesting time with my tree because I simply could not style it the way I wanted and still enter it in the contest. The primary trunk needs to be bent, which will require a branch bender, and several of the branches really needed larger gauge wire so I could bend them and style them more convincingly. However I enjoyed the "instant bonsai" quest and it forced me to make a lot of trade-offs in the process :) Congrats to the winners!

Last edited:
Top Bottom