2017 From Seed.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it might be starting mountain ash from scratch for me. Very common here but not native. Not recommended because of compound leaves I hear but they hold berries all winter. I've been admiring the snow/berry combo a lot this year. Don't have to plant them, they volunteer in my pots all the time. Nice fall colour too, spring flowers..
Did a google images search and copied a couple, no idea whose tree that might be but it sure works for me. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have pawpaw in the refrigerator. Last year started Chinquapin (Castantea pumila) - thought being it would be a native chestnut with smaller leaves, shorter internodes & better for bonsai. First year seedlings suggest Chinquapin will be as difficult as beech or oak. Won't be sure until seedlings are many years older.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I prefer the natural stratification method ;)

I'll soon be visiting a beautiful, large Japanese maple tree to scoop up seedlings by the dozen from underneath it. It's quite a prolific mother tree and seems to have good genetics. These trees will be for club raffles and mentorship programs.

I last did this in 2012 and gifted or discarded all but three of the trees, which I still have and need to repot. (Ugh, I faced a verticillium wilt infection in 2015, but have since moved and discarded everything affected.)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's happening. Round one.

IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG

I estimate 60 seeds. I'm growing them mostly in clumps. They'll be indoors under T5 HO lights for the next 6 weeks or so.

Soil is 1:1:2 mixture of peat:coarse sand:pumice

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
IMG_2903.JPG Got some Vine Maple (Acer circinatum) seeds from a friend whoe visited Oregon. Frequently used as alternatives for Japanese Maples in Japanese gardens as they dont burn as easy. Here is a pic of one that Ryan Neil had collected.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have 10 sakura seeds that I've been cold stratifying (if that's a word) since about this time last year.....March-October in a wet sphag-bag at room temp, then November-now in the back of the fridge. Gonna plant them in March.
Can't wait to try my hand at bonsai from seed!
They were a well intentioned birthday gift from my brother and his wife, they were bummed that it takes a year before I can plant them.
It is a good thing trees have always had plastic bags full of sphagnum moss and refrigerators to cold stratify their babies in or we may never have had these wonderful plants around to enjoy! ;)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is a good thing trees have always had plastic bags full of sphagnum moss and refrigerators to cold stratify their babies in or we may never have had these wonderful plants around to enjoy! ;)
And the real reason I did it that way is to simply have more control....god only knows what would've happened if I tried it "naturally" this winter....
I'd probably have little sprouts that would die when we get a late frost, in a few weeks.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
And the real reason I did it that way is to simply have more control....god only knows what would've happened if I tried it "naturally" this winter....
I'd probably have little sprouts that would die when we get a late frost, in a few weeks.
I get it man, I as just joking around... I have never had the patience to do any real cold stratification with seeds and had decent success- especially with Pines- without doing it... did a ton of Trident seeds last year just slapping them in some dirt and got dozens to sprout but not as many as i expected, doing a bunch more this year (and a bunch more JBP, a few JRP too), even have a bag of Tridents in the fridge now!

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Update from my crab farm. My larch have yet to germinate while in the fridge so I reckon I'll just sow them soon and hope for the best. Zelkova should be ready soon as well as the linden and the haw and hornbeam. I wish I had started this years agoIMG_20170215_203121.jpg received_10212247493410589.jpeg Screenshot_20170228-233133.png

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Update from my crab farm. My larch have yet to germinate while in the fridge so I reckon I'll just sow them soon and hope for the best. Zelkova should be ready soon as well as the linden and the haw and hornbeam. I wish I had started this years agoView attachment 134113 View attachment 134114 View attachment 134115

So what you're trying to say to us is that you've got crabs? It appears like you have so many you've got no place to put them... That's got to be irritating.

Top Bottom