A few photos...

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I have a few older pics of this tree, but they are in my old and crashed desk top. If I ever could repair it, I will try to retrieve the files and get you the old pics, if you want them. At my house, I left it in the shade for 2-3 years and it lost some good inside branches. It was very full and ramified at one time. And the needles were shorter too. This tree was first started as a seedling by an old Japanese master ( Inami?) in the OC over 50 years ago. I had it only for about 10 years. I am glad it went into better hands. It is nice to finally see it in a bonsai pot.
Thanks Bob!

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all your comments guys:)

Hey Jason, were you the one who sent me a larch a while back? Is there another Jason into bonsai in Oregon? I still have it! Haven't done anything to it yet. You're right about the BBQ. When that part got done, all the work stopped.:)

Rishi, if you need help or just want to work on trees together, come to our study group sometime.

I'm not the one. Probably it was Jason Gamby (I think there are only two of us in Oregon :p). I think he's on a bonsai hiatus. But I can appreciate any backyard with a barbecue and bonsai. Good stuff.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a few older pics of this tree, but they are in my old and crashed desk top. If I ever could repair it, I will try to retrieve the files and get you the old pics, if you want them. At my house, I left it in the shade for 2-3 years and it lost some good inside branches. It was very full and ramified at one time. And the needles were shorter too. This tree was first started as a seedling by an old Japanese master ( Inami?) in the OC over 50 years ago. I had it only for about 10 years. I am glad it went into better hands. It is nice to finally see it in a bonsai pot.
Thanks Bob!
It would be great to have them if you ever recover them. I figure maybe 3-4 years to get a decent ramifacation and needle reduction.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great bunch of trees! I'm envious of nice, landscaped yards like yours. Mine is a huge dog run with bonsai tables.
Paul

This post made me laugh because my trees are on my back deck which is in my fenced in back yard a.k.a dog run. I always go out there after work to check the trees and of course throw a ball a few times.

Id also love to have a white birch. I grew up in New England and they grew in a lot of places there. I picked up a birch at a nursery this summer. Hopefully it survives the winter. Judy, the main thing with them and the borer problem is you have to time your work on them to when the borers are not in their flight stage (May-August in most places). The borers are attracted to fresh cut wood. Not that they won't infest a tree otherwise but they are more likely to when there is a fresh cut. This definately makes them more of a challenge. Some cultivars are more susceptible than others so you could try one of those. Ill see how it goes with mine, hopefully Ill have something worth showing in a year or two.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good tip, thanks Paradox! Looking forward to seeing yours. I have lots of them that I planted in my natural landscaping, and haven't seen any trouble yet, most of them are prob. 20 years old now. But I always hear that the borers are the reason they are not long lived. 20 years is a pretty short span... in tree life.

Top Bottom