A tosho that could.

Reaction score
Here is another Needle Juniper or Tosho. I got this from some older club members. This little tree has had been neglected and has had a hard time getting new growth. I got this tree about 3 months ago. With some regular water and some fertilizer I hope to get this tree going in the future. The top ended up dying due to the lack of a failed air layer(not done by me)so i made it in to a jin and shari. Now this tree has been growing since i have had it. I am not sure what the future of this tree will bring but hopefully it will have a bright little future. Let me know what you think about it.

Attachments

• IMG-20170705-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170705-WA0000.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-20170705-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170705-WA0001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20170705-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20170705-WA0002.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 76
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG-20170705-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20170705-WA0003.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20170705-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20170705-WA0004.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20170705-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20170705-WA0005.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 73
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG-20170705-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20170705-WA0006.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20170705-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20170705-WA0007.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20170705-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20170705-WA0008.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 74

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That initial curve is fantastic.

Either front will work for me!

Score!

Sorce

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I like the deadwood in the front option. or perhaps the foliage to the right with one of the branches running behind and then out left from the trunk. Pretty cool little gem to start building from. Do you eventually plan on reducing the height of the deadwood trunk or are you going to let the branches grow to fit the scale of the trunk?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It has potential to make a nice little tree but it needs a lot of growing on before I'd consider working it at all. Personally, I wouldn't touch until it has significantly more foliage which will take at least a few years. If it continues to grow well this year, I'd reduce the dead trunk significantly this winter. Good luck with it.

Reaction score
I like the deadwood in the front option. or perhaps the foliage to the right with one of the branches running behind and then out left from the trunk. Pretty cool little gem to start building from. Do you eventually plan on reducing the height of the deadwood trunk or are you going to let the branches grow to fit the scale of the trunk?

Thank you..the deadwood was more done for practice i was pretty sure i will need to reduce it.

Reaction score
It has potential to make a nice little tree but it needs a lot of growing on before I'd consider working it at all. Personally, I wouldn't touch until it has significantly more foliage which will take at least a few years. If it continues to grow well this year, I'd reduce the dead trunk significantly this winter. Good luck with it.
Those were my thoughts i plan to repot it since it probably hasn't had thay for some time feed and let it grow. Yeah ill have to reduce the dead wood..

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thank you..the deadwood was more done for practice i was pretty sure i will need to reduce it.

I am happy that you said you will reduce. I didn't want to say definitively to reduce the trunk because each person's design is their own, but what I wanted to say is that it could make an excellent shohin-sized tree. You also have a large blank slate of deadwood to create some interesting deadwood with it. Best of luck. If your club members ever want to get rid of anything else you don't want, PM me a price they would accept for the tree. I am looking to broaden my collection but am on a budget. Saving for a house.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tosho aren't too common in the US. as Dav4 said, take your time with it. I have a foemina that is similar to this one structure wise. A long tall trunk with limited branching.

There is a unique tosho out there somewhere that has a very long jin with all the foliage in a tight triangle within the first few inches of trunk. I'm searching for a pic but can't find it. i think it was in an issue of international bonsai. Does anybody know what tree I'm talking about? I think it might not be a bad direction down the road for OP's tree.

Reaction score
I am happy that you said you will reduce. I didn't want to say definitively to reduce the trunk because each person's design is their own, but what I wanted to say is that it could make an excellent shohin-sized tree. You also have a large blank slate of deadwood to create some interesting deadwood with it. Best of luck. If your club members ever want to get rid of anything else you don't want, PM me a price they would accept for the tree. I am looking to broaden my collection but am on a budget. Saving for a house.

Thank you we will see what the future has for this little guy. What do you like let me know what sort of trees you are into and I will send you some pics they have about 500 or more trees.

Reaction score
Tosho aren't too common in the US. as Dav4 said, take your time with it. I have a foemina that is similar to this one structure wise. A long tall trunk with limited branching.

There is a unique tosho out there somewhere that has a very long jin with all the foliage in a tight triangle within the first few inches of trunk. I'm searching for a pic but can't find it. i think it was in an issue of international bonsai. Does anybody know what tree I'm talking about? I think it might not be a bad direction down the road for OP's tree.
Your right they aren't. Probably one of my favorite! I plan to give it some proper care now and jusy let it grow. I tried looking for that try but couldn't find what you were describing. Thank you.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thank you we will see what the future has for this little guy. What do you like let me know what sort of trees you are into and I will send you some pics they have about 500 or more trees.

Well since I have started I have wanted a Japanese Maple. A starter to be sure, definitely something smaller than a foot and a half tall. So that would be number one. Trident or Japanese Maple actually, both are beautiful. See list below, and keep in mind I would want to keep the cost of the tree under 50 bucks, before shipping.

Hinoki Cypress
JBP
Pinyon Pine
Ponderosa Pine
JWP
Bald Cypress
Sequoia Sempervirens (a cheap small Burl would be perfect)

And again, I don't really want to take something a club member is fond of, more of the type of tree they are trying to unload just to make space. I don't have an excessive amount of money to spend and I know Bonsai is expensive. I don't wanna make anyone feel as if they are being cheated with what I can pay. You are very lucky to be in a pretty good climate for redwoods. I love them so much, Iconic to the American West in my opinion. Feel free to PM me instead of keep this going in the thread.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really like this tree (trunk). I agree with everyone so far, shorten the deadwood eventually and you'll have a nice shohin juniper. I like the dead wood front option personally. good luck

Reaction score
Well since I have started I have wanted a Japanese Maple. A starter to be sure, definitely something smaller than a foot and a half tall. So that would be number one. Trident or Japanese Maple actually, both are beautiful. See list below, and keep in mind I would want to keep the cost of the tree under 50 bucks, before shipping.

Hinoki Cypress
JBP
Pinyon Pine
Ponderosa Pine
JWP
Bald Cypress
Sequoia Sempervirens (a cheap small Burl would be perfect)

And again, I don't really want to take something a club member is fond of, more of the type of tree they are trying to unload just to make space. I don't have an excessive amount of money to spend and I know Bonsai is expensive. I don't wanna make anyone feel as if they are being cheated with what I can pay. You are very lucky to be in a pretty good climate for redwoods. I love them so much, Iconic to the American West in my opinion. Feel free to PM me instead of keep this going in the thread.

I will pm you in a bit.

Reaction score
Really like this tree (trunk). I agree with everyone so far, shorten the deadwood eventually and you'll have a nice shohin juniper. I like the dead wood front option personally. good luck

Thank you.

Top Bottom