Acer Ginnala styled

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Heavenly! This is why they call them "Flame" maple for sure!

Thanks Juds! Next year I will experiment with more shade towards the end of the season and see if I get it to go more golden yellow. I have my other clump amur that's been in more shade. Still quite green and interested to see what colors it brings compared to this one who has gotten its share of sunlight this year.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
This is a joy you don't have that much with conifers. The changing of seasons is much more visible, winter, spring, Summer, fall. All is very different. And even though it might be a short period in the year but fall colours like this make is a joy to anyone.

Fall colours is the reason why I'm on the look for a Shishigashira. The vibrant colours they give is absolutely beautiful.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Excellent photography and colors Sergio. Love the progress on this one, gives a very natural feel.

Thanks Chris! Still ways to go but moving in the right direction I think. :)

This is a joy you don't have that much with conifers. The changing of seasons is much more visible, winter, spring, Summer, fall. All is very different. And even though it might be a short period in the year but fall colours like this make is a joy to anyone.

Fall colours is the reason why I'm on the look for a Shishigashira. The vibrant colours they give is absolutely beautiful.

Yes I agree. Every season brings something different specially with maples. I love autumn but winter is my favorite time to view theses trees and how they should always be displayed. Which actually brings me to another thought. If deciduous trees are to compete fairly at the Cup, I think then this exhibit will have to move to winter. Yeah I know, this will never happen but just food for thought.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful colors! You have moved it along quite well... It has a very natural look already.

Boy, I hope mine pops this kind of color! Just had our first "frost warning" last night, so my trees are sure to start changing soon. I stuck a cutting in the group earlier this year because it kept growing too large for the pot it was in and tipping over when the wind blew... I am shocked by how quick they grow and thicken up!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Mach,

What kind of soil is it in? It looks very attractive with the moss and the plants all combined with the small particle size.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful colors! You have moved it along quite well... It has a very natural look already.

Boy, I hope mine pops this kind of color! Just had our first "frost warning" last night, so my trees are sure to start changing soon. I stuck a cutting in the group earlier this year because it kept growing too large for the pot it was in and tipping over when the wind blew... I am shocked by how quick they grow and thicken up!

Thanks Eric! Last year color was no good at all. It was planted in pure turface so not sure if this was a contributing factor? Perhaps my husbandry was better since now it was styled and in a nice pot as opposed to last year when it was just in a large wooden box? Maybe all of the above. Good luck with yours, I hope it colors up nicely. :)

Yes they grow and thicken quickly much like tridents and much easier to keep specially in northern climates.

Hey Mach,

What kind of soil is it in? It looks very attractive with the moss and the plants all combined with the small particle size.

Joe, it is planted in pure akadama. I use this soil because it has worked great for my deciduous trees and also because of its aesthetic appeal at least to my eyes.

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks Eric! Last year color was no good at all. It was planted in pure turface so not sure if this was a contributing factor? Perhaps my husbandry was better since now it was styled and in a nice pot as opposed to last year when it was just in a large wooden box? Maybe all of the above. Good luck with yours, I hope it colors up nicely. :)

Yes they grow and thicken quickly much like tridents and much easier to keep specially in northern climates.

Joe, it is planted in pure akadama. I use this soil because it has worked great for my deciduous trees and also because of its aesthetic appeal at least to my eyes.
Thanks for answering. It looked like turface at first.

I haven't seen that size akadama anywhere- is it just sifted?

And would you be so kind as to tell me where I could buy a similar product? I really like the look of it and I need something that keeps my deciduous a little damper during our intense summer. Most of my maples fried from the heat.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for answering. It looked like turface at first.

I haven't seen that size akadama anywhere- is it just sifted?

And would you be so kind as to tell me where I could buy a similar product? I really like the look of it and I need something that keeps my deciduous a little damper during our intense summer. Most of my maples fried from the heat.

Sure. It is just sifted into finer particles. You can easily get it at many bonsai shops and e-shops. I am currently getting mine from House of Bonsai in LA at fairly reasonable prices.

Akadama has worked extremely well for me. I have been using it for close to 25 years. Yes it will brake down after three years or so but maples need to get repotted within that timeframe anyway. Sometimes I mix it with about 20% of kiryu sand.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sure. It is just sifted into finer particles. You can easily get it at many bonsai shops and e-shops. I am currently getting mine from House of Bonsai in LA at fairly reasonable prices.

Akadama has worked extremely well for me. I have been using it for close to 25 years. Yes it will brake down after three years or so but maples need to get repotted within that timeframe anyway. Sometimes I mix it with about 20% of kiryu sand.
Final question- Is it the high fired or low fired stuff?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mach!

I took a drive yesterday passed the reason I love this tree so much!

A life size version, and the reason I fell in love with amur.

It looks so much like yours, I will definitely get a picture!

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Max! You can even find it/buy through Amazon yes? Lots of places have it.
The only way is smuggling it in... soils are not allowed to enter the country AT ALL! (I know it is completely inorganic...) one person I know tried and paid a huge fine...

Top Bottom