Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Another fun planting from a japanese seller:

grp1.jpg

grp2.jpg

grp3.jpg

Hard to tell all the plants that are being used due to the poor quality photos. Looks like a shimpaku, trident maple, perhaps a hokaido elm(?) and the plant on the top I can't even guess. I really like the 360 degree view. Every angle looks interesting to me.

packooh!!!

Seedling
Reaction score
a diferent composition

it's very nice but I think that the maple is too up on the rock. in the nature the conifers grow in the top of the mountains and the deciduous in a lower part.

sorry for my einglish, i'm from spain

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it's very nice but I think that the maple is too up on the rock. in the nature the conifers grow in the top of the mountains and the deciduous in a lower part.

Remember, there are always exceptions. :)

Close to my house - I live next to a tall mountain - there are plenty of maples on the top, some of them much higher than the conifers around it. Would it be wrong if I wanted to represent the scenery around my house?

By the way, the saikei in this thread does not represent a distant mountain. I represents a close view of a tall cliff, where trees can grow anywhere, as long as they get enough moisture.

If the saikei represented a more distant view of a mountain, then I agree that the conifers in general should be higher up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm curious. Why is this specimen a saikei?

It looks like a clinging-to-a-rock style bonsai to me. Also, since you said it was for sale in Japan, I'm also wondering why it's a saikei. As far as I know nobody creates saikei there.

What is a saikei anyways?

Just curious....

Bill

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To me, saikei are planted landscapes consisting of more than one tree (and sometimes more than one species of tree) - often accompanied by accent plants and/or rock as part of the design. The saikei is to be appreciated as a whole, but each individual tree in the design can be appreciated separately. I have come to use the term generically to refer to what I consider Japanese penjing, though I may be mixing terms in an incorrect manner.

http://www.fukubonsai.com/5a27.html

You would probably know more about this than I would Bill. Apparently you have never seen saikei in development in Japan? (Or else it is referred to strictly as root-over-rock?) I am asking because I myself have never been to bonsai nurseries in Japan.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Masa Furikawa is one of our local japanese master and the following is from

http://pnbca.com/instructors.html

"Owner of Japan Bonsai which offers bonsai, pre-bonsai, supply supplies and classes. Masa has a rich history in bonsai and horticulture. His favorite tree is any kind but those having an interesting trunk-line and trees with character catch his eye.
Brief bio: 1966 Apprenticed to Toshio Kawamoto (Founder of SAIKEI) Nippon Bonsai-Saikei Art Institute and Meiju-en. In 1967 Graduated from landscape course, Tokyo Agriculture University. In 1971 Masa obtained bonsai-saikei master certification from Nippon Bonsai-Saikei Art Institute. In 1976 Started Fujinomiya Bonsai- Saikei Institute in Shizuoka Japan. 1980 Started Oregon Bonsai-Saikei Institute. Fees upon request."

Top Bottom