Angle change...pondering removal of one branch...thoughts please

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do not wish to change it from the cascade style though.

I meant when you stand the pot back up, not stand up the plant :p In other words when the pot is standing normal remove the plant and the bottom inch or more of root. Stuff it back in the same way(cascade) and top the substrate to cover all that new stuff so it fattens up ;) Same pot same angle just deeper.

Grimmy

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good possibility for this one;);). If not too late for comment could be grown from side of rock so trunk completely exposed and pot edge not in the way? Edge of pot seems to be big problem/distraction from any angle with all this good movement. Otherwise one "straight" short trunk/branch in center looks out of place. One more thing: when repot is done could small root be moved outside of bend in trunk so provides bigger base footing and does not get squished inside of bend as things grow?

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good possibility for this one;);). If not too late for comment could be grown from side of rock so trunk completely exposed and pot edge not in the way? Edge of pot seems to be big problem/distraction from any angle with all this good movement. Otherwise one "straight" short trunk/branch in center looks out of place. One more thing: when repot is done could small root be moved outside of bend in trunk so provides bigger base footing and does not get squished inside of bend as things grow?

Good thought process...but, I don't feel I could maneuver the right size rock to make this look appropriate. It would have to be two thirds larger than the tree itself in my mind's eye to look right. Plus...those mature roots under the surface are stiff. The reason it's at this angle...is because of lack of roots at repot and trying to get the smaller one that wasn't rotted to still reach the substrate for more maturity in growing out. The smallest root...can if its developed be moved. The medium size one that was mentioned in the past to be moved...can not. It's grafted to another under the substrate.

I'm actually pondering doing some work to this come spring...Judy gave me some good direction on the straight section. I will be curious about a less tipped angle degree. And a taller pot. This one is not tall enough for the direction I see it going. Seen one with amazing ramification...which is inspiration. Which may help me be more bold in my direction with this...which is a drastic cutting back.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After all is your tree and you see things we cannot. Personally have considered rock for pot but would need hole bored in so roots could come out bottom into shallow pot or tray. On Ryan Neils trees for sale there is a Ponderosa Cascade that uses a rock as it's main trunk. At least believe that is purpose as had understood explained that way by Master Naka;).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After all is your tree and you see things we cannot. Personally have considered rock for pot but would need hole bored in so roots could come out bottom into shallow pot or tray. On Ryan Neils trees for sale there is a Ponderosa Cascade that uses a rock as it's main trunk. At least believe that is purpose as had understood explained that way by Master Naka;).

We all have our vision, and I appreciate you offering yours up...I still am not dead set on a cascade pot one suggested crescent for this tree. I hope something inspires me. The tree needs something unique in and of itself...or...a pot like Grimmy likes...dark in color and not eye catching so ones eyes rests on the tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I actually stumbled across this...not sure if it would be suited or not...pondering...photo of it while in bloom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 18

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Da Su Bonsai Studio might be able to help you out with the correct size and color eggshell/crescent pot, they have a lot of options and none are to expensive. I noticed in omports they also have a brown 5 inch square 7 inches tall very inexpensive.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Da Su Bonsai Studio might be able to help you out with the correct size and color eggshell/crescent pot, they have a lot of options and none are to expensive. I noticed in omports they also have a brown 5 inch square 7 inches tall very inexpensive.

Grimmy
Their eggshell pots...the finish doesn't appeal to me. From seeing their trees planted in them. Reminds me of cement. o_O...the thing with a crescent pot...it fills the void space that is found when potted in a standard pot. Those roots so close to the rim leaves much dead space on the left side of the pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Thank you...your comment had me looking for a quick photo to show you of a possible crescent. And stumbled upon the very one I ended up purchasing! The glazing...wow! (There is no white line mark...flash light glare or something)

image.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for considering my idea:cool:. Hope your tree fits well with this pot. Would be most interesting to see once combined;).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thought to pull the beginning thread of this tree up to comment. It's came a long way...while on my bench. A tigerbark pushed it from the top grow cart shelf. (Was pondering that when I agreed to take the beast.) Something would become displaced. My husband is all about if it's in our living quarters...it must be appealing to look at. So I looked for one that wasn't obtrusive. Looks like art on display as night falls. He's actually loving the display. Which I was curious how he would feel with my outgrowing the cart.
IMG_20191009_183617758.jpg

IMG_20191009_094450945.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thought to pull the beginning thread of this tree up to comment. It's came a long way...while on my bench. A tigerbark pushed it from the top grow cart shelf. (Was pondering that when I agreed to take the beast.) Something would become displaced. My husband is all about if it's in our living quarters...it must be appealing to look at. So I looked for one that wasn't obtrusive. Looks like art on display as night falls. He's actually loving the display. Which I was curious how he would feel with my outgrowing the cart.
View attachment 266128

View attachment 266129
That's neat and pleasant to look at. Beautiful!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well now...I was super unhappy with the clamp three bulb system last winter. The bougainvillea sulked. First winter its ever done that. So...upped the game.

Had intended my husband to build a bench. But had a garden bench given to us. Added a 2" deep boot tray for a humidity tray purpose and catch run off water.

Tried to get away from a stand grow light. My husband did not want that in the house early on in my journey. But this twist. He was fine with. Gotta keep the bougainvillea happy. It's one of his favorites. Knowing what it looked like when it arrived.

*With his saying no last time. I pondered a clamp light. But talking with Judy...she reminded me how amazing the hydrofarm lights are. So I just laid it out for my husband. As to what the tree really needed. This years blooms went a long way in permitting this set up. *Kumquat is back outside to collect chill fall temps. I still am concerned with it from Florida seeing long term 35F. So it may...come back in briefly. But I want fall cold brisk temps to offer it a better chance at being happy. Just wanted to see if it would fit.

20200910_092552.jpg

Top Bottom