Are there examples of root over crystals?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quartz is non-porus. That's actually what makes it superior to granite as counter top material...it doesn't need constant sealing :) By definition, quartz is a silicon dioxed mineral: basically glass.

The matrix the quartz is in may be porous. And in low grade quartz stone there may be cracks and inclusions for roots to grab...but it's quite possible that if roots enter those cracks that the stone will shear along the inclusion.

In geodes, the quartz is interior to a bubble of some matrix material. On my geode, the shell matrix is quite porous and roots adhere to it very readily readily. Unfortunately, that material is basically a highly compacted sand. My fear is that it will beak down and wash away over time and the roots will lose their grip :(

But, for now, it's a fun tree to play with :D
Yeah, I know it's not exactly quartz, but it's a closely related mineral. I think these might serve better for the topic purpose than actual crystals, though, for exactly what you said.
Have you tried sealing the outer matrix somehow? Or perhaps building a surrounding structure for the tree to hold to in stead?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I know it's not exactly quartz, but it's a closely related mineral. I think these might serve better for the topic purpose than actual crystals, though, for exactly what you said.

I think what you have is a quartzite. Amethyst and citrine and lots of other crystals are quartzite as well. The color comes from what impurities are in the crystal lattice. That there are no obvious facets just means the crystals aren't "pure". But the surface will still be glasslike.

The nature of crystals...silicon based or not...is to have smooth glassy facets that make it difficult for roots to adhere to.

That's not saying you can't incorporate them, but I would think the approach would be more "root encasing rock" ;) The difference being that even though the roots are currently only on the surface of my geode, I can pick up the geode by picking up the tree trunk. Were the tree draped over a crystalline surface the same way, picking up the tree would leave the crystal behind. Wrap the roots under the crystal and eventually they might start to swallow the crystal...which is what I think would have to happen to maintain the roots on a crystal long term.

I've got another salicaria on a piece of petrified wood. Petrified wood is basically solid quartz...the wood being replaced with silicon dioxide over time.

I think the only hope that planting has of sticking together is that the base of the tree is in a little concave cavity in the petrified wood. It'll eventually swell enough to be captured by the stone. The stone should be solid enough that the tree swelling won't fracture it...maybe. But, even if it remains fixed at that point, the roots will never adhere to the surface and will remain flappy until they thicken enough not to bend on their own. Ficus roots are pretty rubbery though. By then they likely be too thick to make sense on the smallish "stone".

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you tried sealing the outer matrix somehow? Or perhaps building a surrounding structure for the tree to hold to in stead?

I haven't yet. This thread has made me start thinking that through a little more again :)

I haven't noticed any significant weathering yet. The tree comes in for the winter...which helps. I can flake off some of the outer matrix by rubbing hard though so I think it's just a matter of time. There may be a harder porous matrix under this outer shell...I haven't bothered trying to find out. The second tree on the other half of the geode is developing much more slowly. If it doesn't take off this season, maybe I'll pull it off and see what's under the outer shell on that half.

This will never be a heritage tree so "time" for me is only a decade or three ;) As long as it holds together that long, I'll have gotten my enjoyment out of it in spades!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you ever seen a mountain that was even a little bit translucent or was shiny enough to display obvious specular reflection? Neither have I. Sorry, but a crystal is never going to look natural in a root over rock bonsai composition. It will inherently be kitsch and the illusion of scale will be broken.

Top Bottom