Azalea contest 2020-2025

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This leggy lady is growing under the deck in my backyard. Azalea?? If yes, count me in!

View attachment 273371View attachment 273372

Above the leaves are "too leathery" and "too large", although I have no size reference. I would guess this one would normally be classed as a Rhododendron. Flowers would help identify it.

As said before, all azalea are rhododendrons, and azalea has been dropped as a formal botanical distinction. There are intermediates all over the genus, so the traits of the "original concept of azalea" appear in many different unrelated sub-groups of Rhododendron.
But in "Original Concept" - What makes an azalea is the flowers are singles, or clustered but only up to 4 (I think, not totally sure of the count allowed?) in a cluster, or truss. Rhododendrons tend to have flowers anywhere from singles to clustered in a truss of up to 20. (I think, but not certain of the max count in a truss, and won't take the time to look it up)

So if you have one of the small leaf, less than 2 inches as bonsai (5.1 cm for the rest of the world), and relatively few flowers in a cluster or truss, I think it is fair game for the contest. I believe hybrids like R. 'Rampo' and 'Purple Gem' (R. fastigiatum x minus) or R. dauricum or any of the small leaf Rhododendrons, should be allowed to compete.

By the way, I have a R. x 'Purple Gem' and it does look a lot like a Satsuki, except the leaves are leathery, and curl up for the winter. Also the ramification is more coarse than a similar size Satsuki. I won't be entering it simply because it is more a landscape plant than a pot plant. ('Purple Gem' is winter hardy to -25 F or colder -32 C ).

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I went shopping for azalea’s today. I really loved the foliage of the ’Stewartsonian’ at this time of year and the flowers look like they’d be pretty nice too. They did seem to only be available with multiple plants per pot though (all the azaleas, not just this cultivar) so is that standard or should I be looking for individual plants instead?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I went shopping for azalea’s today. I really loved the foliage of the ’Stewartsonian’ at this time of year and the flowers look like they’d be pretty nice too. They did seem to only be available with multiple plants per pot though (all the azaleas, not just this cultivar) so is that standard or should I be looking for individual plants instead?

If you see a pot that you like but has multiple plants in it just keep what you want and remove what you don't want.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
If you see a pot that you like but has multiple plants in it just keep what you want and remove what you don't want.
I did think that, but somehow it seems a waste of a 2 gallon pot when I only need a one gallon plant out of it. We’ll see. 5 years is a while to get some good growth going.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I did think that, but somehow it seems a waste of a 2 gallon pot when I only need a one gallon plant out of it. We’ll see. 5 years is a while to get some good growth going.
You didn't trim yet did you? For the contest you need to start with an uncut tree and best to prune is after the flowers drop.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
You didn't trim yet did you? For the contest you need to start with an uncut tree and best to prune is after the flowers drop.
Ah no! I’ve not even purchased it yet. I’ve done a bit of research though, into timings and the like so all is good thanks...for now. Should be fun :)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ah no! I’ve not even purchased it yet. I’ve done a bit of research though, into timings and the like so all is good thanks...for now. Should be fun :)
With this being a 5yr project everyone's tree at the end of the contest should present itself well.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Above the leaves are "too leathery" and "too large"

thank you for your assistance! Yes, the plant I pictured has leathery leaves. The largest of them is only about 2" long. I have six other rhododendrons, each with 5"-7" leaves, which is why I wondered if this smaller-leaved variety may be an azalea.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@JudyB @Brian Van Fleet
Interested in joining the contest? I know you both really dig azaleas. Your submission could help other members here to improve their skills working with azaleas.
Ok, I’m in...since you asked...and since someone dug one up and set it by the curb in my neighborhood.
It’s been sitting there for a few days, so we’ll see how “in” I am.😜
CE5C13DA-0F9E-4F3D-91CF-860856C73FFE.png

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok, I’m in...since you asked...and since someone dug one up and set it by the curb in my neighborhood.
It’s been sitting there for a few days, so we’ll see how “in” I am.😜
View attachment 273742

Nice scoop it up......love it, hug it, squeeze it, and call it George!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have several still in nursery pots. Need to look though them and see which is the best of the group.

I truly think some of us can produce some really decent shohin's in 5 yrs.

Top Bottom