Bjorn’s Single Flush Pine technique explained!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If we could all just stick to the subject and try not to step in the Bull Shit. Personally I have been waiting for you guys to get back to the single flush Pine question. It has not been answered.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If we could all just stick to the subject and try not to step in the Bull Shit. Personally I have been waiting for you guys to get back to the single flush Pine question. It has not been answered.
And, exactly what was the question?

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
@Adair M concerning the pinching and longer needles as i stated before, here Bjorn tells the same and how to prevent it. listen from 1.01.20.
if i think its needed i will do this again this year but probably a bit earlier then last year as i had several candles not producing new buds

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M concerning the pinching and longer needles as i stated before, here Bjorn tells the same and how to prevent it. listen from 1.01.20.
if i think its needed i will do this again this year but probably a bit earlier then last year as i had several candles not producing new buds
Interesting. I’m not disputing what Bjorn says.

But, I have not had a problem with long needles on my JWP. They’re the same whether the candles are pinched or not. If anything, they’re too short! I give mine full sun. And I don’t fertilize in the spring. I wait until the sheaths fall off to fertilize.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BLOW ME [EDIT] Are we talking about little trees? Or did I miss something that suddenly made this site REALLY IMPORTANT so that we can rage at each other? [/EDIT]
Since your post had to be edited by a moderator I imagine it was quite nasty and juvenile.
Which is nothing less than can be expected.
In which case.
You can rage at me all you like.
I'll just cut you off at the legs at every pass.
It will be fun for everyone but you.
Let 'er rip,'tater chip!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It kind of makes me sad that I finally found a good forum to learn about bonsai And it’s littered with bullshit nonsense from a guy who wants people to think he’s crazy, and some derelict using a white trash icon (pit bull with gold chain) for his avatar. Guess I’ll just move on from this one too.
He'll be gone soon.
Just like he showed up.
Like a fart in the wind.
Stinks up the place for a bit then is gone.
Don't let one imbecile run you off.
Put the malcontent on ignore if you like.
But if you do you might not get to see some of us bounce him around like a beach ball.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s interesting to me that when I watched this video my first thoughts were yes, I could do that!
I don’t have this type of tree but I left thinking that with this type of instruction I could advance the tree.
He is a good teacher.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chris, please tone it down. When you first came to BonsaiNut, you posted a Pondy, and I gave you some helpful advice. And you thanked me for it. I even pointed you towards some Ryan Neil videos to help you. Back in those days, you were civil to everyone.

In your latest incarnation as the Dawg, you seem to act very aggressively towards everyone. I don’t know what’s happened, but it doesn’t reflect well on you. Everyone here wants to improve their skills with bonsai. Whether it be with native collected materials, or stuff bought from the local big box store, or imported masterpieces from Japan. There’s no one in bonsai that “knows it all”, and there’s no one who can’t improve.

Sure, we all have our preferences to species, styles, and methods, but for most of us this is a hobby, something fun to do and share with friends.

If you don’t like the stuff I post, you can ignore me. But spreading vitriol isn’t helping anyone. Please check your attitude at the door.

Hmmm...

I just happened to be scrolling thru the thread, and I noticed that my post had been “edited by a moderator”. It wasn’t what I had typed that was edited, it was the quoted text that I had replied to. Much of the original text had been removed.

And yet, the little small print “edited by a moderator” didn’t specify exactly what had been edited. Was it my response to the quoted text? Or was it the quoted text? The reader doesn't know.

We’ve fallen, it’s a slippery slope, and we can’t get up!

You know, “it’s never the crime, it’s the cover up” that’s worse.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hmmm...

I just happened to be scrolling thru the thread, and I noticed that my post had been “edited by a moderator”. It wasn’t what I had typed that was edited, it was the quoted text that I had replied to. Much of the original text had been removed.

And yet, the little small print “edited by a moderator” didn’t specify exactly what had been edited. Was it my response to the quoted text? Or was it the quoted text? The reader doesn't know.

We’ve fallen, it’s a slippery slope, and we can’t get up!

You know, “it’s never the crime, it’s the cover up” that’s worse.

It's a conspiracy!

Actually no :) I didn't edit anything you wrote; rather I edited the quote in your post. If I moderate a post, I go into all the other posts where someone quoted the original content, and I edit that as well. It doesn't do any good to edit a post where someone is swearing, and then leave all the other posts where people quote all the swearing :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's a conspiracy!

Actually no :) I didn't edit anything you wrote; rather I edited the quote in your post. If I moderate a post, I go into all the other posts where someone quoted the original content, and I edit that as well. It doesn't do any good to edit a post where someone is swearing, and then leave all the other posts where people quote all the swearing :)
Yeah, I understand... but I can know that because I know what I posted. Someone else reading the thread might think that what I wrote needed moderation.

Which is neither fair to me, nor what you’re intending to do by moderating the post.

Selective censorship is “a slippery slope” indeed.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just remember ; it was the aggressive, angry, and self-righteous moderation of the moderators that forced the demise of Bonsai Talk.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just remember ; it was the aggressive, angry, and self-righteous moderation of the moderators that forced the demise of Bonsai Talk.
I’m not so sure I agree with that, but you’re entitled to your opinion. It did wither due to lack of participation. The information posted there was high quality, for the most part.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I’m not so sure I agree with that, but you’re entitled to your opinion. It did wither due to lack of participation. The information posted there was high quality, for the most part.
But the paranoia was palpable, and at fault. Believe me, I was part of the dispute.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And, as a reminder, what is the “single flush pine question” that you would like to have answered?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

BonsaiTalk's demise was extensive use of plugins that didn't afford the owner to upgrade. When something broke, he didn't have the heart to fix everything, busy with other things.

I think you're talking about another forum, and you're welcome to your opinion on it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
BonsaiTalk's demise was extensive use of plugins that didn't afford the owner to upgrade. When something broke, he didn't have the heart to fix everything, busy with other things.

At the time of BonsaiTalk's demise, both BonsaiTalk and BonsaiNut used the same software backbone. A security vulnerability was discovered that allowed hackers to create fake admin accounts and gain back-door access to all sites that used the same software. This allowed hackers to inject malicious code into the network, compromise the database, and create numerous additional false accounts.

I was fortunate to catch the breach about four hours after it began. I had to completely shut down BonsaiNut, manually scan and authenticate all the files, and manually clean the database. Then I was able to patch the site software (closing the security hole) and turn the site back on (after a day or two of pretty intense labor). I still have the files that were installed on the network because I found them interesting. One of them was a brute force password hacker that was using network CPU cycles to hack all the user passwords (something not even a site admin has the ability to do).

The challenge with a security breach like the one that affected both of our sites is that it gets exponentially worse with time. There comes a point when your database becomes so compromised that your only recourse is to reinstall all your data from an archive... and if you aren't keeping an archive, you may not have any option other than to start with a new database (losing all of your site history). I am pretty sure this is ultimately what took down BonsaiTalk... the damage got too bad, too quick, and the work to recover the site was simply too much. I don't really know because I have never spoken with Matt about it. All I know is that his site was hit at the same time this one was... and it never came back.

We no longer use the software associated with this security breach. However that does not mean that people have stopped trying to hack the site. Each day there are numerous attempts. Just this morning, prior to writing this, I had to clear out three fake spam accounts. It is more or less a constant job. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that people aren't aware of. I am constantly patching the software and managing the network back-end. Within this context, coming into the site to moderate posts because people are swearing at each other is not a high priority task :) I usually only do it if more than one person has reported the same content, at which point I will take a look and make the call whether the reported content has any socially redeeming qualities :)

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
At the time of BonsaiTalk's demise, both BonsaiTalk and BonsaiNut used the same software backbone. A security vulnerability was discovered that allowed hackers to create fake admin accounts and gain back-door access to all sites that used the same software. This allowed hackers to inject malicious code into the network, compromise the database, and create numerous additional false accounts.

I was fortunate to catch the breach about four hours after it began. I had to completely shut down BonsaiNut, manually scan and authenticate all the files, and manually clean the database. Then I was able to patch the site software (closing the security hole) and turn the site back on (after a day or two of pretty intense labor). I still have the files that were installed on the network because I found them interesting. One of them was a brute force password hacker that was using network CPU cycles to hack all the user passwords (something not even a site admin has the ability to do).

The challenge with a security breach like the one that affected both of our sites is that it gets exponentially worse with time. There comes a point when your database becomes so compromised that your only recourse is to reinstall all your data from an archive... and if you aren't keeping an archive, you may not have any option other than to start with a new database (losing all of your site history). I am pretty sure this is ultimately what took down BonsaiTalk... the damage got too bad, too quick, and the work to recover the site was simply too much. I don't really know because I have never spoken with Matt about it. All I know is that his site was hit at the same time this one was... and it never came back.

We no longer use the software associated with this security breach. However that does not mean that people have stopped trying to hack the site. Each day there are numerous attempts. Just this morning, prior to writing this, I had to clear out three fake spam accounts. It is more or less a constant job. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that people aren't aware of. I am constantly patching the software and managing the network back-end. Within this context, coming into the site to moderate posts because people are swearing at each other is not a high priority task :) I usually only do it if more than one person has reported the same content, at which point I will take a look and make the call whether the reported content has any socially redeeming qualities :)

THANK YOU for what you do!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Puts it all in context. Thanks for this post. And thank you for birthing and maintaining this site and the community that we are part of.

Top Bottom