HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
you are familiar with this aren't you?

View attachment 319342

This might help as well:

I’m familiar with the planting! But I’ve never seen that picture of it. 🤓 Neat!.. checkin’ out that link now.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 319342

This might help as well:
Also, you might want to stay away from more grandiose plans--simple is better and has a bigger impact. The more complex, the less focus the entire thing will have. The mixed forest at the arb is subtle and takes a hold on you in person because you notice the interplay of leaves and trunks. With more than a dozen trees, that level of detail dissolves into a single mass...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This might help as well:

Wonderful! Thank you for this!

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 319342
This might help as well:
Thanks, really helpful. I was not familiar with that piece. Very cool. I was envisioning a forest where the front is looking directly up the mountain slope. So if you rotated the front on that example by 90 degrees clockwise.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Kanorin - you're in St. Louis, go with trident maple, over Amir maple. @HorseloverFat , you are in the frigid north, you should use Amur maple.

For Appelachian mountain scene look for images from Arthur Joura, bonsai curator at North Carolina Arboretum, in Asheville NC. He has done exactly what you are talking about. Appelachian mountain scenes. Mixed species. He has at least 3 or mixed species plantings. I'm not at my laptop, so you will have to Google.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Kanorin - you're in St. Louis, go with trident maple, over Amir maple. @HorseloverFat , you are in the frigid north, you should use Amur maple.

For Appelachian mountain scene look for images from Arthur Joura, bonsai curator at North Carolina Arboretum, in Asheville NC. He has done exactly what you are talking about. Appelachian mountain scenes. Mixed species. He has at least 3 or mixed species plantings. I'm not at my laptop, so you will have to Google.
1596151870233.png

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay, I did some work for you. Actually, I save photos of good examples of trees, either bonsai, or nature, for inspiration.
Bonsai Bark, a blog worth subscribing to, posted by Wayne Schoech, of Stone Lantern Publishing. Back in 2014 he posted a series of posts on forest plantings. The link to his blog is here

I saved these photos from his 2014 posts about forests. These were taken at the Asheville NC Arboretum, the 2014 Carolina Expo. I believe these were all created by Arthur Joura, the bonsai collection curator. of the 5 forests, 4 are mixed species. If you zoom in, you might be able to read labels for species names. I did not make additional notes. If you search the Bonsai Bark Blog, you can find Wayne Schoech's original blog comments where he might have mentioned species, or an interview with Arthur, where he might have discussed species choices.

forest1-CarolinaExpo2014-BWayne-img (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

forest2-CarolinaExpo2014-BWayne-img (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

forest3-CarolinaExpo2014-BWayne-img (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

forest4-CarolinaExpo2014-BWayne-img (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

forest5-CarolinaExpo2014-BWayne-img (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

forest5b-CarolinaExpo2014-BWayne-img (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

This last forest, if I remember correctly, was styled after a specific place. The junipers were chosen as stand ins for red spruce, or balsam fir, and the Azalea kiusianum was chosen as a stand in for the large leaf Rhododendron you see in the Appalachian Mountains.

Arthur Joura is famous for recreating Appalachian images in his bonsai. He tends toward naturalistic styles, much like Walter Pall does. You should make yourself familiar with his work.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Okay, I did some work for you. Actually, I save photos of good examples of trees, either bonsai, or nature, for inspiration.
Bonsai Bark, a blog worth subscribing to, posted by Wayne Schoech, of Stone Lantern Publishing. Back in 2014 he posted a series of posts on forest plantings. The link to his blog is here

I saved these photos from his 2014 posts about forests. These were taken at the Asheville NC Arboretum, the 2014 Carolina Expo. I believe these were all created by Arthur Joura, the bonsai collection curator. of the 5 forests, 4 are mixed species. If you zoom in, you might be able to read labels for species names. I did not make additional notes. If you search the Bonsai Bark Blog, you can find Wayne Schoech's original blog comments where he might have mentioned species, or an interview with Arthur, where he might have discussed species choices.

View attachment 320035

View attachment 320036

View attachment 320037

View attachment 320038

View attachment 320039

View attachment 320040

This last forest, if I remember correctly, was styled after a specific place. The junipers were chosen as stand ins for red spruce, or balsam fir, and the Azalea kiusianum was chosen as a stand in for the large leaf Rhododendron you see in the Appalachian Mountains.

Arthur Joura is famous for recreating Appalachian images in his bonsai. He tends toward naturalistic styles, much like Walter Pall does. You should make yourself familiar with his work.

Thank you, Leo!!!!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This forest also from 2014 Expo, is made of 2 different azaleas, and 'Kingsville' boxwood.
forest6-CarolinaExpo2014-BWayne-img (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

This forest is from Museo Marabella, I don't remember when, and I am unsure of who, but I believe it might be by Luis Vallejo. It is another mixed species forest.
Forest-museo marabella1 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

This forest is by Robert Stevens, an artist from Indonesia, I believe the tree is Nia buxifolia.

forest-rob26 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This forest also from 2014 Expo, is made of 2 different azaleas, and 'Kingsville' boxwood.
View attachment 320044

This forest is from Museo Marabella, I don't remember when, and I am unsure of who, but I believe it might be by Luis Vallejo. It is another mixed species forest.
View attachment 320045

This forest is by Robert Stevens, an artist from Indonesia, I believe the tree is Nia buxifolia.

View attachment 320046

I love Robert Steven’s work,.. he was one of the first bonsai artists I discovered! 🤓😍

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some potential candidates for the conifer stand-in are
Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus Virginiana)
Eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Some potential candidates for the conifer stand-in are
Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus Virginiana)
Eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis)

Spooky that I was JUST responding to this thread.... great minds.. eh?

I’m going with Taxus Hicksii.. EXTREMELY slow-growing but VERRRRY hardy...

I want to get some cryptomeria cuttings in there too.. but realistically........hmmmm..

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m going “slab hunting” today or tomorrow. 🤓
@Kanorin , how you doin’? ;)
I'll go slab hunting too, but I'm not sure I'll find too much on my 1/8 acre urban property...maybe a nice concrete slab?

I'm probably going to plant some seeds or cuttings for the project this spring in nursery flats and continue to "hunt" for some kind of mountain slab over the next year or two...waiting for that perfect soul-slab

Top Bottom