Buxus (Boxwood), need help with style

Aramak

Seed
Reaction score
Hi friends, I'm new here and wold like to ask a little help with my Buxus. I'm not secure about what to do for stylize it. I need sugestions please.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ef7B7yg.jpg
    ef7B7yg.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 54
  • mHaQ17b.jpg
    mHaQ17b.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 47
  • MtFAmXV.jpg
    MtFAmXV.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 44
  • oGVENeO.jpg
    oGVENeO.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 47
  • s4OaZqp.jpg
    s4OaZqp.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 41

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut!

Please update your profile location.

Nice matured tree you got there. Good find!

Please tell us what you liked about this and your vision...then maybe we can help you better. This plant can go many different ways so you have to narrow it down for us first. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I recommend watching this 4 part youtube video. Gave me a greater leg up for proper design of buxus, ie not creating pom poms.

http://youtu.be/ruO__jC3hwE

Just to mention that I cannot chop the way he did in my area. Boxwood do not backbud here for some reason and chopping it w/o leaves is almost a guaranteed death sentence in my experience and other local friends.

I really wish I can treat them like that though.

Aramak

Seed
Reaction score
OK, I'm thinking about something like these examples:

Attachments

• Michael-Persiano-Buxus.jpg
    Michael-Persiano-Buxus.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Buxus.061909.jpg
    Buxus.061909.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 42

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Try this initial clean-up then post more pics later.

Basically clean it up and remove all things you do not need. Any place with tridents or chicken feet like...remove the middle one if possible. Find some movement and avoid long straight sections. Those need to be reduced drastically if they cannot be bent/wired anymore. Else, they will stick like sore thumb now and forever. Note that I do not cut things I need w/o leaves at end.

Sorry but this is the best I can do for you w/ the pics provided. Someone else may be able to help you better. It is also much more difficult to work from pics... there are lots of things you see that we can't and decisions may have to rely on those.

Good luck!

Attachments

• oGVENeO.jpg
    oGVENeO.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 34

Aramak

Seed
Reaction score
I' m working on it. Soon I will post the first results. Thnks for now friends

Aramak

Seed
Reaction score
Updating 26.03.2014

What do you think now my friends? Should I still remove more branches? Or this is the way, using the wires?

Attachments

• IMG_20140326_063714.jpg
    IMG_20140326_063714.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20140326_063731.jpg
    IMG_20140326_063731.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 30

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good job opening it up!

Depending on your final goal...you need to chase back some of the branches to make it look a bit more compact. Remember that it will continue growing outwards so factor that in to attain a future silhouette target ...not to attain now/today. I hope I am making sense.

Some branches still; have chicken feet and too long/straight. Address those now either by wiring or by chopping back. It is still a bit busy but that can be remedied easily later.

Remember, most of the time...you have to destroy it (your tree) first before you can re-build.

Good luck! :)

Top Bottom