Can we get a Safety Check In?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's your firing schedule for #710 to Cone 6?
With a manual kiln, controls, either switches for individual sections/elements, or low med high knobs, are what determine a very loose schedule, which can only be loosely translated with a decent pyrometer.

@penumbra what type of manual switches?
Do you pyro it?

Sorce
My Olympic kiln has low, medium and high. I have been using it for at least 7 or 8 years and I have a feel for it. I have a pyrometer but don't use it on this kiln. I occasionally use the pyrometer on my raku kiln, but usually rely on my feelings and experience there as well.
So for a glaze firing in my Olympic I do about 2 - 3 hours on low, about the same on medium and finish on high which takes about 5 hours on average but can vary.
On my bisque firing I do about 3 - 4 on low, 3 - 5 on medium and finish on high, about 3 hours on average.
I use a ball jar to check for evaporation and when the jar is clear I step it up. On green ware to bisque I get most of my water vapor in the middle range as the structure of the clay's chemistry is changing and driving off bound water. On bisque to stoneware most all of my water is driven off in the second hour of my lower range.
Funny, I have an after market controller I spent $400 on several years ago that I have never installed. I have gotten used to manual control. My large Skutt kiln is fully auto but I am using it for bisque ware only right now. It will work flawlessly for glaze firing but I have several ficus about 6 feet away and I don't want it to get too hot. I will have to rethink all of this for the future but that's the way it is now.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All good here, I'm part introvert and I'm getting to work from home and had more time around my trees for a whole growing season. That's all good. Also lost over 20lbs. Laying low, enjoying the views sunshine and fresh air. If only my Ficus, indoor for the season, were this happy. Thanks for the check in Sorce, stay well (I'm seriously missing working with clay though).
GOOD JOB on loosing the weight. I lost like 30lbs, cause of the teleworking. Eating less junk food and more heathy food, doing a lot more around the house helped to burn off those pounds. I'm about 12lbs away from my weight back in the Army days.....20yrs ago!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All good here in VA except working from home for 8 months is giving me cabin fever. Alcohol gets me through! I would tell you whats in the jar but I don't want @LanceMac10 showing up unannounced.

View attachment 342611

On 2nd thought, come on over and enjoy some shine!
Dear, god, don't start that on me!
I promised my therapist I'd cut back. Lying to my wife about is one thing. She's half the reason I drink anyway. But my therapist? Nope, can't do it.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
giphy.gif

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Perhaps we could message you of folks we're particularly worried about after a couple days.

Sorce

I'm doing good as well as my family, @sorce . Working less, gaining weight, taking care of the trees.
Thanks for your concern.
But...
I am worried about some traditional members not showing up lately, so I guess this check in idea could be a nice initiative if @Bonsai Nut has a way to contact them.

Top Bottom