Cascade spirea in bloom

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a small spirea in bloom. In the morning the sunlight on the flowers is quite bright and beautiful. I have had this tree for a few years and now am noticing that the bark is developing some tiny flaking to give it some character. The blooms lasted a week and then were gone. Thought I would share, thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 116

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful tree Dave! I think I like the old bark even more than the flowers :rolleyes:

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great tree Dave! If find it very appealing. It's tough to find a cascade that truly works and this one does.

Is that spaghnum moss growing at the base?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your comments. Not spaghnum moss but a weed that should be pulled. The stuff gets everywhere in my trees. A real pain.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
that tree needs a nice crescent pot to go with that crescent rootball. looks great!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave that is a beauty! The last two pics with your hand in the view gives perspective on this great little cascade with the appearance of age and large size. Good job.

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lovely...I would love to see a close up of the root ball base. What character it adds to the overall appearance. I too assumed it much larger with the aged look it has. The photo of your hand in the photo gives good size perspective.

Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your kind comments. It does need a new pot. I am not sure what color, but Sara Rayner's studio is only a half hour from me.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Missed this one. Sweet tree Dave! Another under-utilized tree for some diversity in collections. I'm sure Sara has just the pot for it!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great tree. Was it collected or nursery? Can you share how you thickened the trunk? Thanks for sharing.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree. Was it collected or nursery? Can you share how you thickened the trunk? Thanks for sharing.

This was a nursery shrub that originally was part of a bigger multi-trunked bonsai. A storm blew the original off my bench and splintered the trees. This is what survived.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was a nursery shrub that originally was part of a bigger multi-trunked bonsai. A storm blew the original off my bench and splintered the trees. This is what survived.

Seems nature saved you some work! Nice one by the way!

Grimmy

Top Bottom