Christmas Gift Ponderosa Pine

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
This was a gift from hubby on Christmas...
Nothing will be done to it for at least a year (letting it adapt to South Texas), but I wonder where everybody could see this one being styled and what pot they would choose...Virts are welcome!!
Irene

second pic is sharpened

Last edited:

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Irene!

That looks like a fun project! What I would do is cut off the right fork and work on developing it from there or leave it as a sacrifice branch....but one of the trunks would have to go, I would think. I would chop off the right one because it seems there are branches closer to the trunk on the left side.

In any case, looks like this one will take some time to develop! Enjoy it for a year and then let her have it!

David

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do Ponderosa back bud?

Yes, they bud back fairly easy on wood up to about 15 years old on average. One does need to feed aggressively, particularly in late summer and through the autumn when the tree is developing buds and storing energy for next spring.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
What do you see in it Irene? What are the good attributes and the not so good ones which will lead you in a direction? Just curious to see what you are thinking.

Jason

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Irene - sorry it took me a while I was out camping :)

There are two possible trunklines that immediately come to mind when I look at this tree:

irpondo2.jpg

irpondo3.jpg

I would go with the 2nd, personally, if your goal was to immediately start developing ramification and final development. Here's a virt of what I think you could end up with pretty quickly:

irpondo4.jpg

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
My thoughts are to bend the heck out of most of the branches and perhaps keep both branches, but changing the angle a bit.
Irene

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey I thought ya graduated from the design school of Suezoo =-) or did those classes end?

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love the white pine that was on that link :), but back to your ponderosa. Have you ever used raffia before irene???

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Can you post a picture from each side? I don't think that this is going to be the best front. If this is the best front then I think one of those sub trunks needs to go. It has too much of a slingshot to it and they are going to be too short and thick to do much sharp bending inthem. That pine on IBC is a nice tree.....not sure your tree would mimic that.

Lets see the other 3 sides. Actually a photo from 8 angles would be nice, 1/8 of a turn each.

Jason

Top Bottom