Collected Bald Cypress Buds

Damart81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For people who have collected bald cypress, I know the general sentiment is to leave it alone for a year. But if you have multiple buds coming out of one point do you rub them off and leave only one branch?

This bc was collected in December and has been sprouting all over the place.

Attachments

• IMG_6445.jpeg
    IMG_6445.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 14

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Leave them for the first year to help with root growth. It's at such an early stage that you have nothing to worry about over swelling or inverse taper. I have left my JBP untouched for 2 years when I dug them out of the ground. If you don't see strong growth during the 2nd year, then leave it along for another year.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
For people who have collected bald cypress, I know the general sentiment is to leave it alone for a year. But if you have multiple buds coming out of one point do you rub them off and leave only one branch?

This bc was collected in December and has been sprouting all over the place.
Let them grow. The more you have up top, the more roots you have down below. Once your roots are established, you can prune off anything you want, the tree will then be strong enough to generate any top you desire. If the tree was collected in December 2022 and those are all the buds you have, your tree was relatively weak so leave it alone. In comparison to your tree, all my collected BC as late as May 2023 already have branches as long as 18"-24".

Last edited:
Top Bottom