Contorted White Flowering Quince

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the past, I removed the flowers before this happened. It just worked out that we were leaving and I wanted the flowers gone. This year, we're here and so were the flowers!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is so cool that the blooms change to pink as they age. Wonder why this year but not past years? Some things are just mysteries...

My contorted white turned pink as stated above too!

Lots of mysteries this season. The candles on your white pine being so long, Machs Sharps pygmy flowering, the blossoms on quince changing color! Something odd in nature is going on.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My contorted white turned pink as stated above too!

Lots of mysteries this season. The candles on your white pine being so long, Machs Sharps pygmy flowering, the blossoms on quince changing color! Something odd in nature is going on.
And johng has a JWP that is also being more vigorous and our climates are pretty different...

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
contorted white flowering quince 10-2-16.jpg contorted white flowering quince 2 10-2-16.jpg

My contorted white flowering quince had a great growing season. I try to repot my quince every two years. I had become increasingly irritated by pot the tree was in, so the search was on. I wanted a rope rim pot like the Chinese made years ago, but those are difficult to find and beyond my budget. Fortunately, I found exactly the pot I needed in Matthew Ouwinga's e-Bay store. The pot was a blue Yamaaki, which copied the Chinese style. It arrived Saturday, and the quince was repotted by evening.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Contorted White Flowering Quince, 2 months after the picture above, has lost all its leaves. In their place, some flowers have appeared, with many more to bloom in the near future. As it is, the flowers and the buds accent nodes on a network made from the quince's fine branches.

contorted white flowering quince super pano 1-3-18.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The structure surely has matured in a wonderful fashion. I think it's lovely and doesn't look overworked. Glad that it spreads it's flowering joy out for you.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6 months ago, or so, I decided to make some big changes with the Contorted White Flowering Quince. Even though I loved the Yamaaki pot the tree was in, I felt my tree wasn’t developing, so I got this new, larger container. I hoped it would grow more.This container is not a bonsai pot. It has no legs, so drainage is an issue unless I tip it, when it is in its place on the bench, or unless the stand the pot is on has a large hole in the center. This stand is so equipped. The pot is porcelain, and was made in China. The distributor calls it an “Asian flower pot.” Such containers really require a stand.It has always made me wonder when I see calligraphy on a bonsai pot—it has made me wonder what it means. Does it change the meaning of the bonsai? Is it purely decorative?I am fortunate in that my son, Ben, has several employees who speak Mandarin. He asked Beatrice to translate the text:

Plum blossoms and lace flowers both bloom abundantly and very competitively.
It's uneasy for the poet to judge which one is more beautiful.Plum blossoms are brighter in color,
but the fragrance of lace flowers is unbeatable.

Technically, I suppose I should plant an ume in the pot, but my contorted white flowering quince will have to do.After transplanting, the quince exploded in growth. The tree has developed a new shape on its own which became clear when I was doing pruning after the summer solstice, a great time to cut quinces back after their period of rapid spring growth.

contorted white flowering quince.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6 months ago, or so, I decided to make some big changes with the Contorted White Flowering Quince. Even though I loved the Yamaaki pot the tree was in, I felt my tree wasn’t developing, so I got this new, larger container. I hoped it would grow more.This container is not a bonsai pot. It has no legs, so drainage is an issue unless I tip it, when it is in its place on the bench, or unless the stand the pot is on has a large hole in the center. This stand is so equipped. The pot is porcelain, and was made in China. The distributor calls it an “Asian flower pot.” Such containers really require a stand.It has always made me wonder when I see calligraphy on a bonsai pot—it has made me wonder what it means. Does it change the meaning of the bonsai? Is it purely decorative?I am fortunate in that my son, Ben, has several employees who speak Mandarin. He asked Beatrice to translate the text:

Plum blossoms and lace flowers both bloom abundantly and very competitively.
It's uneasy for the poet to judge which one is more beautiful.Plum blossoms are brighter in color,
but the fragrance of lace flowers is unbeatable.

Technically, I suppose I should plant an ume in the pot, but my contorted white flowering quince will have to do.After transplanting, the quince exploded in growth. The tree has developed a new shape on its own which became clear when I was doing pruning after the summer solstice, a great time to cut quinces back after their period of rapid spring growth.

View attachment 199078
It is nice pot. Thanks for sharing the information.
I recognized that the bigger pot is better for the fruit or flowering trees.
Bonhe

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think the pot is wonderful, and the flowers look spectacular. I'm developing several Japanese flowering quinces, all 'Texas Scarlet', and this picture is a real inspiration to me.
For what it's worth, when I have 'non-bonsai' pots with flat bottoms, like pottery I've drilled out, I've had success using those little peel-and-stick plastic dots to raise the pot up so it drains.
Thanks for sharing such a beautiful photo.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice Fred.

Your post from 7/1/18 indicated a repot about six months prior. So was that mid winter for you? I tried a spring repot on my contorted white and it kind of sulked throughout the season but i think it was a combo of a shallow pot and a lot of sun. It still produced a decent amount of flowers though.

In trying to mix it up, i tried a fall repot this past year into something deeper, so we'll see how it does this year, but i can already tell it will not be a good year for flowering, which is somewhat expected.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
>>I've had success using those little peel-and-stick plastic dots to raise the pot up so it drains.--shinmai

Good idea!

Nybonsai12: --Was that mid winter for you?

Probably not. These days, mid winter is more like Christmas. Temperatures plunge at the end of fall, and then, after that, it's anybody's guess. I think the thing to keep in mind is whether or not you can keep your tree warm. Not hot, but warm and out of the wind. 40 to 45 degrees F. I think you can safely repot any time when you can do that--with quinces. This would mean putting the tree inside in a cool environment in which you can manage post-repotting care. Quinces are tough, but they do have a point of sudden failure.

Top Bottom