Cost efficiencies of mixes

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Too small particle size, you should be able to request them order some 8822 for you. If there’s a tractor supply anywhere near you ( there’s 3 in New Jersey) you can also check out their safe t sorb product. It’s about 35-40% 1/8+ to 1/4 size particles.
I have a tractor supply right up the road from me.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Too small particle size, you should be able to request them order some 8822 for you. If there’s a tractor supply anywhere near you ( there’s 3 in New Jersey) you can also check out their safe t sorb product. It’s about 35-40% 1/8+ to 1/4 size particles.
Just an fyi, I went to tractor supply. There was 1 bag ripped open, probably some other bonsai enthusiast. The particle size was exactly the same size as the other bags.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just an fyi, I went to tractor supply. There was 1 bag ripped open, probably some other bonsai enthusiast. The particle size was exactly the same size as the other bags.
It may be hit or miss or I just got lucky. I was hoping it would be consistent bag to bag but I guess that’s asking too much.

Attachments

• EE0C6714-04B1-4BC4-8608-E140D3A779F0.jpeg
    EE0C6714-04B1-4BC4-8608-E140D3A779F0.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
use the term landscape nursery to denote those that stock and sell shrubs and trees for landscape purposes. As opposed to a nursery that specializes in shrubs and trees specifically propagated and developed for Bonsai. To my knowledge Akadama is sold as a bagged product in 13 Litre bags or smaller. Bulk purchase would involve larger quantity of the bags as in a pallet of 50 bags for example.
Thank you for this! I’ll have to check out all relatively local Bonsai Nurseries. What would be a fair price for a 13 Litre bag bought as a pallet of 50?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you for this! I’ll have to check out all relatively local Bonsai Nurseries. What would be a fair price for a 13 Litre bag bought as a pallet of 50?
I am not familiar with the current price range in the Orange County area or if their are any major importers of Akadama in that area. Your best bet would be to contact local Bonsai clubs for their sources. The largest supplier that I am aware of in California for Akadama is Jonas Dupuich of Bonsai Tonight. He operates out of Alameda in the Bay Area. However I believe there has been a shortage or backlog in supply over the past year, so it may still be in short supply until logistical issues and supply problems are resolved. It has been some time since I was in that area, so the best steps for you to take would be to check locally and start doing your homework to become familiar with sources in your own backyard.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In case anybody can use this, here is a link to Hess Pumice Products located in Idaho. I have bought from them before, less than $1 a pound for very good product. Shipping costs have gone up quite a bit since then, but if you order enough (I got 3x50lbs) then you can still make out pretty well.

https://hess-pumice-products.myshopify.com/products/hess-pumice-grade-3-8-x-8

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can go to Aliexpress and buy a bag of red line Akadama for $5.26. Shipping to the US is another matter - and is more than 3x the cost of the product :) Order by the pallet, or better yet, order 20 pallets so you can fill a 40' shipping container, and your shipping costs per bag drop substantially.
Too good to be truth... I went to the link and they are selling 1000g for $5.26, there are 9 kg in a bag, so you need to order 9 to have a full bag, add on the shipping and... yeah, no thanks

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not so sure about that myself. I planted jades and ports in DE a couple of years ago, and it was a big mistake. Way too water retentive, it almost killed a couple of pretty good specimens.
Thank you for the feedback.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Not so sure about that myself. I planted jades and ports in DE a couple of years ago, and it was a big mistake. Way too water retentive, it almost killed a couple of pretty good specimens.
Just curious. Did you plant with 100% DE?

I think using DE or Calcined clay neat is problematic. It needs another good component or 2, like pumice and lava.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just curious. Did you plant with 100% DE?

I think using DE or Calcined clay neat is problematic. It needs another good component or 2, like pumice and lava.

I mixed it with lava, like 25%. I agree, the lower the proportion of DE with succulents and other drought-tolerant plants, the better results one will get.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Too good to be truth... I went to the link and they are selling 1000g for $5.26, there are 9 kg in a bag, so you need to order 9 to have a full bag, add on the shipping and... yeah, no thanks
Wow! Talk about bait and switch. They have photos of a 13L bag... and then say the price is for 1/9th a bag? $52 for a bag of dirt... before shipping?

Thanks for pointing this out. I can buy 13L bags locally for $28. Sorry for the misleading link :(

Reaction score
Go to OC Farm Supply and get yourself some 40 lb bags of pumice for about $12 each. Tell them you are a member of the Orange County Bonsai Society and you get a discount.

Go to Green Thumb and get yourself some pine bark micro nuggets. If my memory serves me correctly, they stock both mini and micro sizes - you want the micro. They should be very small pieces - about 1/2" and less.

Add the pine bark to the pumice at about a 10%/90% to 20%/80% blend. Finished!

Avoid adding any potting soil or similar organic product to your bonsai soil that will clog the soil. If you water your bonsai and the water doesn't immediately pass through the top of your soil and flow out through the drain holes (leaving wet soil particles behind) your soil is too dense / clogged.
Sorry to reply to such an old message, I could not find the one I meant to respond to, perhaps on another thread... So is vermiculite at all suitable to add to this mix, as well as small fragment black lava rock? And I've read that the 'water to your heart's desire' approach (and I should add, as I have read, a suitable mix for 'fertilize very aggressively as well') can also include a degree of sphagnum or coir, and/or vermiculite? These are my main questions :)

If vermiculite is not great to add to this mix for bigger plants, , is it good for first potting many seedlings ready to pot, instead of any kind of soil? I ask because every potted tree I have ordered online has come with a mainly soil mixture, and I am curious why this is the very prevalent practice (eve in one case where a tree came with lots of fine pumice and vermiculite, there was still a good amount of soil) It seems that vermiculite is not more expensive than potting soil, unless these sellers are using plain steer manure for soil, or something along those lines. But they don't seem to, as there is often pumice, perlite, coir, etc. in the mix, and I wonder why they all use soil as well. And please, first questions are more pressing lol

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Top Bottom