Curious about Bonsai, but unsure where to start.

Reaction score
Read, buy a cheap tree for this year. Start with a better in spring next year. Look for bonsai people in your area, ask what species grow well.

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the advice, and I'm thinking I might try to pick up a tree on the way home today! I've already located a kind of local bonsai society, but I'm having trouble finding the meeting place. Thanks again!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you recommend I wait until next spring to get any trees to start with? Edit: I didn't realize cypresses were deciduous! Amazing!

If you go with bare root from that vendor you should see results far quicker then I do up North - PM me for inexpensive large potted growing starters - anything you get there now from then should be fully ready to Winter as planted while being able to work them a bit over the next two years and get a good idea how it all happens ;) Right now there is one Crabapple in a pot 1 year going in at 2 foot, was chopped to three foot and now is close to 5 foot here - it can and will take severe chops the next two years but that is Bonsai. BTW if you want to try a fruit tree from them I highly recommend the Tilton Apricot :)

Grimmy

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you go with bare root from that vendor you should see results far quicker then I do up North - PM me for inexpensive large potted growing starters - anything you get there now from then should be fully ready to Winter as planted while being able to work them a bit over the next two years and get a good idea how it all happens ;) Right now there is one Crabapple in a pot 1 year going in at 2 foot, was chopped to three foot and now is close to 5 foot here - it can and will take severe chops the next two years but that is Bonsai. BTW if you want to try a fruit tree from them I highly recommend the Tilton Apricot :)

Grimmy
Thanks, but I think due to my moving coming up I want to start with something pretty cheap. I've been reading through the links in the thread earlier and they've been extremely informative. If I don't find anything I like in the next couple days I'll take a look again at the bare root options :)

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Okay so I'm following some advice (and the article by Brent Walston, fascinating stuff) and I bought a small tree to learn with, a cheap Chinese juniper because that's all that any place that was open near me had. I've got some pictures, but don't want to ruin it by cutting too much. I bought some good Fiskars snips, and don't worry, this will be outside on my South facing balcony when I'm done making this post. Does anyone have any suggestions before I mess up this early?

Ben Nabors

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in Gwinnett county. I would highly recommend taking a ride up to Plant City Bonsai in Clermont, Georgia. Steve is a great guy and has a great deal of stuff to start with. They have classes up there a couple times a year. They are having a beginners Bonsai class in the end of June. Look up his page on You tube and you can see some of his trees he has this year. If you have any questions I can help any way I can.

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am in Gwinnett county. I would highly recommend taking a ride up to Plant City Bonsai in Clermont, Georgia. Steve is a great guy and has a great deal of stuff to start with. They have classes up there a couple times a year. They are having a beginners Bonsai class in the end of June. Look up his page on You tube and you can see some of his trees he has this year. If you have any questions I can help any way I can.
Hi Ben, it's nice to see someone so close! I appreciate the offer and want to make it up to Plant City but it may be a while before i can :(

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just don't expect them to be evergreen. You'll be disappointed come winter. ;)
I've realized my mistake now haha! I think I'll hold off on the cypress though and see how this one does once I start training it!

Noobjuice

Sapling
Reaction score
I just started as well, finding good material for cheap has been more difficult than I expected but it can be done. I live an hour and half north of you in greenville sc, Azeleas and crepe myrtles are good material. Crepe myrtles grow fast and you can get one from a big box store for about 25$. If you look closely you may be able to find one with 2-3 plants in the same pot. I just bought a crepe myrtle on sale at half off for 11$. I Bare rooted it and was able to separate 3 different trees.

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just started as well, finding good material for cheap has been more difficult than I expected but it can be done. I live an hour and half north of you in greenville sc, Azeleas and crepe myrtles are good material. Crepe myrtles grow fast and you can get one from a big box store for about 25$. If you look closely you may be able to find one with 2-3 plants in the same pot. I just bought a crepe myrtle on sale at half off for 11$. I Bare rooted it and was able to separate 3 different trees.
That might be a future project, right now I think I'm gonna focus on my new juniper :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hardest part for me has been getting over my envy for some of the trees you see here and all over the internet lol.

All start as curious or envious beginners:confused:. If able to attend workshops or train with professional skill will come. More practice/faster learning;). Wax on wax off grasshopper.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That might be a future project, right now I think I'm gonna focus on my new juniper :)

Welcome to Crazy!

You know...

Focusing on one tree...
Is kind of like paying $18 for a fat buffet....

And focusing on the water!

Get Mo!

And Mo!

Sorce

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to Crazy!

You know...

Focusing on one tree...
Is kind of like paying $18 for a fat buffet....

And focusing on the water!

Get Mo!

And Mo!

Sorce
Thanks for the advice, and I will get more I'm sure! I just want to learn how to keep something alive first!

Can anybody see the pictures I posted? I haven't done any kind of pruning yet, that will be tonight :) Any advice is welcome!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Does anyone have any suggestions before I mess up this early?

Take a close look at those stickers and write down all of the info - there are several types of this species and care varies a bit ;)

Grimmy

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Take a close look at those stickers and write down all of the info - there are several types of this species and care varies a bit ;)

Grimmy
Will do, great idea! I'll post my results of my first pruning tonight hopefully!

Reaction score
Not sure if it's a "common" juniperus chinensis. I hope it is. When you want to start pruning, keep in mind that often the roots / nebari starts lower down than the soil level. It has a great impact on the design options. I know you want to cut, but the first thing you have to do is knowing how to grow things. If not, you will cut and after a month or two you might ask yourself, what have i done wrong?

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hope so too :confused: In any case this will be a learning experience!

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another question for anyone still here reading, I bought a pair of Fiskars snips(?) that I've seen recommended on this forum and elsewhere, they are small and precise. Should I have any other tools for starting out?

Top Bottom