Curious Black Pine needle color issue

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Howdy,

Been a good while, but I'm still keeping after my bonsai trees. I have three Black pines that are pre-bonsai. Two of them have not yet darkened the needles from their early growth light green to a mature darker green this year.

I'm afraid that this is an early sign of the tree showing distress so I have been going about normal business but have not done any extreme work on the tree and have yet to do my fall cut-back.

Is this something to concern myself with, I did have one other tree do this one-two years ago but it went through the winter fine and darkened up the following year.

I'd like not to color the responses with my own theory, have you guys had this happen, did you find the root cause?

Thank you

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks gents, here you are;

EC89E6D4-B3FE-4238-9800-C01F7DC1B103_zpsseih0cpx.jpg

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The one on the left is slowly turning greener, and so is the one on the right but it's really taking its time.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can you please provide a close up of the needles? Light green needles with some yellowing at the base is generally a sign of overwatering.

Scott

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Howdy,

Been a good while, but I'm still keeping after my bonsai trees. I have three Black pines that are pre-bonsai. Two of them have not yet darkened the needles from their early growth light green to a mature darker green this year.

I'm afraid that this is an early sign of the tree showing distress so I have been going about normal business but have not done any extreme work on the tree and have yet to do my fall cut-back.

Is this something to concern myself with, I did have one other tree do this one-two years ago but it went through the winter fine and darkened up the following year.

I'd like not to color the responses with my own theory, have you guys had this happen, did you find the root cause?

Thank you
Goomba,

There are a couple of things: not enough fertilizer. Still too early in the fall (needles haven't hardened off yet). Too much water. Too little sun.

Most likely: too much water.

Can be "overwatering". Or soil that retains too much water.

Without pictures and more information, it's impossible to say.

While I was typing you posted pics. What's the soil?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking at the length of new candles, did you decandle this year? The color is quite light, but they seem to be OK.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I did decandle this year, and the needles from last years candles are the normal dark green.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Adair, the soil is a combination of lava rocks, and pine bark, IIRC. It's mostly lava rocks, so if I water them within moments it will flush through.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, really light, now I noticed light green spring needles on the top.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I haven't been that aggressive with fertilizer this year, using a heavy sprinkling of dr. earth every month, IIRC last year I was doing more than that.

It's slightly bizarre to me that they're otherwise happy, with needles are pointing up and no wilting or strange coloring at their bases.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is that substrate on the picture watered recently? How much sun do they get?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hm, my JBPs get only morning sun and are uniformly deep green now. It must be sth different...

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I tend to agree, being that they received the same amount of sun last year and had no issues. Also, the other JBP in another pot sitting to the left of these is dark green.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another possibility is iron deficiency. A high soil ph can cause this. Try chelated iron application. Sometimes it this chlorosis can be caused by magnesium deficiency which is remedied by Epsom salts. If it is not over-watered as mentioned before then I would try the iron first.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Goomba,

There are a couple of things: not enough fertilizer. Still too early in the fall (needles haven't hardened off yet). Too much water. Too little sun.

Most likely: too much water.

Can be "overwatering". Or soil that retains too much water.

I agree with Adair, try giving them some fertilizer

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really looks like a watering issue to me, but a close up of the needles would help. Thanks.

Scott

Top Bottom