Curious Black Pine needle color issue

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 120209

Here are my examples. Two Japanese Black Pines, right next to each other on my bench. Repotted same month (two years ago). Large pond mesh baskets. 100% pumice. Both getting same water, same organic fertilizer (composted chicken manure). The yellow pine has four fellows to the left that are just as yellow... and I have other JBP that are just as green as the one on the right. I am going to try the malathion dip on two of the yellow pines and see if it has an impact.

And just to be clear - these two pines have been sitting next to each other for two years with the exception of when I have been working on them.

Did these turn around for you @Bonsai Nut ?

Reaction score
Thank you for your response, I see that you’re in St. Louis, so we are in a similar zone. I have been doing bonsai now for six years, and I am stumped by the way this Black Pine is acting. I do not see any evidence of insect infestation, too much water I thought might of been the problem , But as I closely examine the roots, I’m beginning to think that the tree may be root bound and maybe not getting enough water.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, I see that you’re in St. Louis, so we are in a similar zone. I have been doing bonsai now for six years, and I am stumped by the way this Black Pine is acting. I do not see any evidence of insect infestation, too much water I thought might of been the problem , But as I closely examine the roots, I’m beginning to think that the tree may be root bound and maybe not getting enough water.
Man, what a thread hijack! that Gdy2000 was not in response to your situation. If you want help with your tree, it would make more sense to start your own thread, POST SOME PICS and give a detailed description of the ailments that have you worried about it. Wet soil is not a symptom... tell us what is going on with it- yellowing needles, discoloration, lack of new growth..? I am sure there are plenty of people willing to help but assimilating your issue into a year old thread about someone else's tree is likely to lead to more confusion.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did these turn around for you @Bonsai Nut ?

Yes they did! I didn't lose any of them. I'm not sure exactly what was the cause, but I:
(1) Treated with anti-fungals
(2) Did an emergency repot into larger screened pumice with some rough sphagnum moss and pine bark
(3) Carefully fertilized with acid / iron fertilizer

We have very poor water here, and I have started treating all my trees almost as if they were all azaleas (acid-loving). I have seen great results doing this over the last year - particularly with my conifers.

[EDIT] I just went out an snapped a photo of the same two pines in the prior pic. I hadn't moved them since my last post. This is what they look like today. You can see how the "weak" one is doing much better - all the fresh growth is healthy green. Some of the older growth is still yellow - but I assume that is due to the fact that those needles are about to fall off. I have not done any fall maintenance on my pines yet - I do that in mid December.

pines.jpg

[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Quick follow up. All the pines are again doing well, the issue was with my watering and specifically that I was watering far too much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom