Dirk Hoorelbeke 6y JBP entry

Reaction score
3 year update. I'm not happy with the growth, not happy with the color of most... Since i had best results with the peat - perlite mixture the second year and the akadama - bims micture was behind schedule i swapped all to a 30% peat based mix. I lost 30% of the trees to a combination of several factors. I placed them in a sunny, more windy spot in the garden. When the first heat came, they were not fully rooted and the wind didn't help ... With a bit more water and placing them to a more shaded area most recovered, but with the heavy mixture they were over-watered i guess. Time this year to switch back to the common mix for me.
most of them are in pond baskets (19) and are the size of my index finger or a little less.
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG
Some are in bonsai pot (5)
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0842.JPG
one is in a bigger box (1)
IMG_0843.JPG
Most have good vigorous buds so not all is lost, but comparing with the previous batch i lost already more than 1 year of growth on most of them.
IMG_0837.JPG

Reaction score
Some i put in small containers. Little root disturbance makes pines happy...
IMG_0834.JPG
Or in small pots
IMG_0844.JPG
but a lot of them are yellow (overwatering and fungal issue)
IMG_0838.JPG
Details of old needles
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG
I suspect it is needle cast so i'll try to find some daconil or other stuff. In the beginning i tought it where root aphids, bud didn't find any with the near-death ones. I sold 10 so now i'm in the running with 41 leftovers. I'll remove old needles, wire, repot and firmly fix them in the pots. I'm aware i'll lose some more before things will get better. If someone has advise for treatment ... i welcome all tips and tricks.

Top Bottom