Escambron shohin development

Benjofen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
New addition just came in the mail. It's got such a nice character to the trunk already, trying to figure the best way to work with that moving forward. Think I prefer the somewhat slanted planting angle. As always with my new trees It'll just sit for a while. But after that I need to figure out what to do with that fat surface root.

IMG_20211001_094237490.jpgIMG_20211001_094221492.jpgIMG_20211001_093443368.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More pics!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks best to the back I think.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a tropical that I only recently have taken interest in. I have a small one under development. I was going to get another larger one but I decided no more tropicals until next April.
Regarding yours, I would not make a decision until I had a chance to review the entire root system at re-potting time next summer. I like that massive root and don't much care for the reverse as it shows a bit of inverse taper. Depending on what you find beneath the surface, you might be able to do a kind of semi ror planting and show that massive flare forward.
Don't rush it.

If it gets to be too much for you, I'll take it off your hands. :D

Last edited:

Benjofen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks best to the back I think.

Sorce
I'm considering that too, but it would it would mean removing some decent sized branches and hoping they're replaced on what is now the front eventually. Though seems these pop new buds like crazy so maybe that's not a concern?

Benjofen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Its a tropical that I only recently have taken interest in. I have a small one under development. I was going to get another larger one but I decided no more tropicals until next April.
Regarding yours, I would not make a decision until I had a chance to review the entire root system at re-potting time next summer. I like that massive root and don't much care for the reverse as it shows a bit of inverse taper. Depending on what you find beneath the surface, you might be able to do a kind of semi ror planting and show that massive flare forward.
Don't rush it.

If it gets to be too much for you, I'll take it off your hands. :D
Same here, this is my first. I love the bark and I tend to prefer faster growing species. Keeps me from getting restless

ror is an interesting thought, though I've never done one before.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is a fantastic tree and species, which before clicking in, I was completely unaware of.

Looks like the growth habits, and foliage of a Elaeagnus/Dwarf Yaupon Holly...

I can DEFINITELY see, if it does indeed possess these traits, these trees goin’ WILD!

..sounds like fun.

🤓

Top Bottom