From Wrecked to Radial (Yes, I spent real time thinking of that title.)

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I collected this American Elm last spring, and it’s done really well since. I checked out the roots this spring and there was a clump of roots on one side and a few little roots on the other - I sorted the roots as well as I could and buried it deep. I didn’t have any sphagnum moss so it’s just in my regular soil mix. So hopefully the next repot reveals something more radial.

Having said that: Anyone care to share their radial root success stories? Worst root base you’ve ever sorted out? From wrecked to radial?

Advice?
771EAFE3-C83A-431B-856F-60F33B1CE6D7.jpeg 2019
B469E6C2-81BF-4B6F-9854-1A1FC1C9031C.jpeg 2019
08A784F7-E00A-47DD-B210-4BAF1DEE2913.jpeg 2020
1DB73CC2-5C9E-4A6F-B6C7-2C01ABFE257D.jpeg

Neat! I LOVE the direction you are taking it!

I have a Rosa multiflora with a main “trunk”(ex-root ;) ) that resembles this Elm’s “main” trunk.

That shape is very pleasing to the eye.

Keep it updated!

🤓

(My skillsets are not specific to the ADVICE you requested.. sorry. Just like your tree.)

Neat! I LOVE the direction you are taking it!

I have a Rosa multiflora with a main “trunk”(ex-root ;) ) that resembles this Elm’s “main” trunk.

That shape is very pleasing to the eye.

Keep it updated!

🤓

(My skillsets are not specific to the ADVICE you requested.. sorry. Just like your tree.)

Thank you!
Your approval makes up for your lack of advice lol
😋

Shoot!
I thought I was going to see some sweet
Root!

Airlayer Early, Airlayer Often.

We probably waste a combined millions of years messing with unworthy roots. Ok maybe thousands, but it's ridiculous.

Sorce

That seems so obvious but for some reason I just never considered it. I was just looking at your post with the airlayer disk. I’ve actually never succeeded at one, so I guess I avoid the thought.
The tree is already pretty squat, so perhaps a ground layering is in order next year? Surely I wouldn’t dare this time of year... right?
I admittedly have no hands on experience with air layering.

Last edited:
So sorry 😔 there is nothing to see here
Haha! That’s ok. I’ll check back next repot!👍

Gotta try that radialayer TM

The damn squirrels got into my sphagnum bags looking for.........The golden acorn?
I was not successful with the 3 air layers I attempted this season. 😡

Haha! That’s ok. I’ll check back next repot!👍

Gotta try that radialayer TM

The damn squirrels got into my sphagnum bags looking for.........The golden acorn?
I was not successful with the 3 air layers I attempted this season. 😡

Those pesky rodents smh Lol
I’m nervous to attempt it - but I think it’s my option at this point. I’ve never had any success with airlayering - but these elms root really easily, so I’m kind of feeling confident. But at any rate, that’s next year so I have time to soak up as much knowledge as I can before bringing out the X-Acto knife 😬

Do you have trees to trim? Practice layering on them. Puts off the chore for a few months at least! Lmao

Do you have trees to trim? Practice layering on them. Puts off the chore for a few months at least! Lmao
Lol
I’m going to do it next year or the year after. Like @River's Edge said, the more vigorous the tree it the better my chances are. So I want to give it time to recover.

I didn’t repot it this year. I’ll repot it next year and likely start the ground layer. I just wanted to share an update. I pruned and defoliated a week or two back. It’s recovering nicely.
91899B85-41EC-4B7D-A3C2-70DD357AED20.jpeg
CDCE4E89-1C8A-47CE-816E-9F427DB2D284.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom