Ginkgo from seed

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, was this ginkgo's roots growing freely and untouched all those years before getting dug up and having it's root ball reduced?

BTW would you be able to share your knowledge regarding how much stress a ginkgo can handle relative to a Japanese black pine and Acer palmatum and as far as root reduction and trunk chops?

As a 2-3 year-old seedling, it was planted in an amended, raised bed, of mostly recycled bonsai soil. It went in the ground in '99 and was not dug up until '13.

It was chopped nearly to the ground each spring until a few prominent leaders emerged, then they were encouraged to develop over the last few years so the "flame" style could be started. The heaviest of those chop scars are long gone, but quite a few dime-sized ones remain. Many 2-year old chops seem to be 20% callused over. The wood is very spongy and dense.

As to the root reduction, I believe they can handle much more than a pine, and probably more than AP. A member at our club meeting last night stated he could root very large pruned branches from his landscape ginkgo (several inches in diameter), by simply sticking them in the ground...and that he has yet to lose one!

I have several in pots now; one dwarf that I've had in a pot for 12 years, and I've only repotted it once in that time. The roots are very succulent, and seem to not mind being bound, but didn't fill the pot too fast either. The roots lapped the pot like a Chinese elm does.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's fascinating. I may try to get a cutting started this week. I have access to a greenhouse.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really enjoyed this thread, thanks for sharing. I always hear folks saying don't bother with seeds. I say get them in the ground now, times awasting!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I love the amount if growth. Beautiful horticultural work. Do you water two or three times a day?
Thanks, it needs water about once a day. I mist it (and everything really) as often as I walk by each day, and it's in some dappled shade in the afternoon which helps.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
ginkgos in autumn look so nice! The yellow color of leaves will make this tree look amazing.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
But a GREEN pot :D:D:D love ya man
I hear ya, brother! I thought it could set off the yellow leaves nicely, but it is just a cheapo training pot, and not a final. What would you prefer it in?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Briar, yellow is such a pain (bitch) to work with! Especially when you're trying to work with what's available in high fired glazes. The color wheel puts contrasts in the purple range but bark color puts it in neutral or tan range. Pick your POISON but green and yellow AWWKK :D:D:D

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Curious, how well have you been able to reduce the leaves? I hear Ginko don't reduce well.

Top Bottom