Golden State Bonsai Federation 2015 Show

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where tradition meets innovation.... I'm anxious to see the innovations! Any thoughts from attendees?

A couple trees on pedastles??
36 conventions and nothing new......why I didn't go...

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Where tradition meets innovation.... I'm anxious to see the innovations! Any thoughts from attendees? A couple trees on pedastles??

36 conventions and nothing new......why I didn't go...

Because it was my first big convention, it was almost all new to me; however, I know exactly where @Smoke is coming from. Any recurring event will eventually settle into a groove.

I've always felt like "themes" or titles for this kind of thing are a bit silly. They are either mostly ignored and have little to do with what's actually there (like this convention), or they are arbitrarily and clumsily incorporated into everything in a kitsch or tacky way (like orchid shows). Believe me when I say that orchid shows are much worse! Every display of flowers is full of silly props, just to fit the "theme" of the show; my club had displays with lava lamps, road signs, guitars, movie projectors, etc. in various years at the Sants Barbara International Orchid Show - Sometimes fun, but always a little silly.
Edit: like this:
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vin

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
I've always felt like "themes" or titles for this kind of thing are a bit silly. They are either mostly ignored and have little to do with what's actually there (like this convention), or they are arbitrarily and clumsily incorporated into everything in a kitsch or tacky way (like orchid shows).

I generally agree, however I have heard that BIB does this really well. I've never been to a BIB show before, this year will be my first, but I've heard they have themes every year now to keep it interesting. I think last year was literati or something like that. I believe this year is trees under 18 inches.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I generally agree, however I have heard that BIB does this really well. I've never been to a BIB show before, this year will be my first, but I've heard they have themes every year now to keep it interesting. I think last year was literati or something like that. I believe this year is trees under 18 inches.
Hmmm, I like the idea of changing up what style/size/etc. qualifies for a show from year to year.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's another California Juniper from the Huntington. We placed it outside the entrance to the invitational exhibit, in front of a backdrop hand painted by exhibit co-chair Kathy Benson. I liked how the shape of the deadwood and the mountaintops played off of each other. Like the previous tree, it could probably use a little refinement in the foliage department and a cleaning up of the live vein.
image.jpeg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I asked Bjorn if I could take a picture of him with his demo tree (a Harry Hirao collected California Juniper). When I was about to take it, John Wang reached for my phone and told me to get in the shot too, so here we are :)
image.jpeg

The tree later sold in the auction for $4,000.00

Top Bottom