GRAY OAK (QUERCUS GRISEA)

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just recently did a rough and very initial styling of this oak. It was strong enough now to take some heavier work. I setting the initial design, I did some editing and removed a left branch that will eventually be jinned. By removing the tree's direction becomes very clear and strong with all parts now moving to the right. I expect a second flush soon from the pruning.

Oak in late afternoon before it was worked on. All branches on left where eventually removed in the styling work making the tree more compact and creating a powerful movement to the right.

View attachment 247080

Shot from different angles after the work. Initial structure set but a long way to go still. Apologies for not photographing it against my customary clean studio background but it is way too heavy to move by myself.

View attachment 247261

View attachment 247262

View attachment 247263

One of the branches was brought back and around the deadwood to peek from the back left side so that in the future it will balance out the design and give it depth.

View attachment 247264

View attachment 247265

Some detailed photos.

View attachment 247277

View attachment 247278

View attachment 247269

A sketch I made prior to the work to help me envision what the intended design will look like in the future.

View attachment 247276
I know it is just a sketch, but do you envision such a delicate pot for such an old gnarly tree with such a heavy base?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bah, just cut it off! =)

It would depend on the next repotting. If I see a profusion of fine roots close to the trunk, then I may be able to reduce more aggressively. I am in no hurry at this point, so I suppose better safe than sorry. I know yours took the drastic root pruning seemingly well but not sure I'd be willing to do the same Lars.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know it is just a sketch, but do you envision such a delicate pot for such an old gnarly tree with such a heavy base?

Imagine perhaps if the pot was unglazed or had a rough texture, or had the edges broken up etc. This is likely to change or evolve as the tree develops.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would depend on the next repotting. If I see a profusion of fine roots close to the trunk, then I may be able to reduce more aggressively. I am in no hurry at this point, so I suppose better safe than sorry. I know yours took the drastic root pruning seemingly well but not sure I'd be willing to do the same Lars.
I can only talk big because mine survived =P

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just googled Gray Oak Bonsai and found your post. What a great post on one of Alvaro's oak trees. I have 4 of these Gray oaks from Alvaro and 2 Silver Leaf Oaks from him to. I have found the Gray oak older branches to be extremely brittle when wiring and if they crack while wiring, the branch will be dead by next spring. My oldest tree just seems to kill of branches on its own. No idea why. My 2nd tree was damaged pretty bad and it lost some major branches, basically have start the tree all over from scratch. But on the good side it did bud out below or at the damaged site! My first tree has bloomed for the 2nd time, last year I had some acorns on it. This is the first year it is sitting out in full sunlight on both trees. I am getting a new tree from Alvaro and I am very excited to get it. My third tree is a tiny little Gray oak tree and you can pick it up with one hand! I am letting it grow where ever it wants, so far no buds on it. Going to make a nice Shohin. I do like Alvaro's Silver Leaf oaks to. I highly recommend them to. Alvaro's Mountain Mahogany trees are great to, just be careful not to cut off to many branches at one time, tree likely to die if you do. I keep all of these in the garage and under lights in the winter. They did just fine with our Colorado winters in the garage. The Gray oaks were still in full leaf in the springs, then about half the leaves just shriveled up and died. Trees went out for the spring and the rest of last years leaves died off while the new buds were extending. The Silver Leaf oak leaves did not dry up and die, in fact it still looks like it did last fall, no new buds on it either!? Last years leaves look perfect, kind of interesting development for an oak. Alavaro says the leaves turn red in the fall. I may have to leave the tree outside longer? Alvaro is a good person to, so is his wife and kids. Met them all at the North Pole. Thanks for sharing your tree.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Lost2301 Great post! Thank you for sharing this info. Alvaro is great to deal with. I just put a shohin gray oak on hold from Alvaro. Been waiting for one for a while. They seem to do well up here in the Northeast but I think with caution specially during winter. Mine now is budding and seems to be going into a second flush. One thing I do not like about this species is the fact that it has about zero autumn color. Leaves as you mention, just dry up and fall. At least from what I have seen thus far.

Thanks also for the heads up on the other species Alvaro offers. Good to know!

You mentioned that if branches are cracked they will be dead the following spring. When did you wire said branches?

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think my oldest Gray oak is in its third year now with me. Alvaro used grafting tape on one old branch that was cracked when I got it, it was dead the following spring. I did crack a few smaller branches my self and tried to save them, by using cut paste on the cracks and then using heavy wire around the cracked portion to keep it from moving around, waste of my time as it was dead by next spring. I was just looking at the oldest tree a little while ago. It looks like the tip of the longest branch has died back this spring after budding out. Not sure why? You have a nice website and are a very talented artist. I still feel new, all though its been 10 years now. I might have met you if you attended the 2012 International Bonsai Convention held in Denver. I somehow managed to get a tree into the show in my third year of Bonsai. I like unusual trees. I love your rose, not to mention the others to, I have two under development. You can see one of them at my website. I am going to keep checking this post to how your tree is doing, might pick up some tips.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just googled Gray Oak Bonsai and found your post. What a great post on one of Alvaro's oak trees. I have 4 of these Gray oaks from Alvaro and 2 Silver Leaf Oaks from him to. I have found the Gray oak older branches to be extremely brittle when wiring and if they crack while wiring, the branch will be dead by next spring. My oldest tree just seems to kill of branches on its own. No idea why. My 2nd tree was damaged pretty bad and it lost some major branches, basically have start the tree all over from scratch. But on the good side it did bud out below or at the damaged site! My first tree has bloomed for the 2nd time, last year I had some acorns on it. This is the first year it is sitting out in full sunlight on both trees. I am getting a new tree from Alvaro and I am very excited to get it. My third tree is a tiny little Gray oak tree and you can pick it up with one hand! I am letting it grow where ever it wants, so far no buds on it. Going to make a nice Shohin. I do like Alvaro's Silver Leaf oaks to. I highly recommend them to. Alvaro's Mountain Mahogany trees are great to, just be careful not to cut off to many branches at one time, tree likely to die if you do. I keep all of these in the garage and under lights in the winter. They did just fine with our Colorado winters in the garage. The Gray oaks were still in full leaf in the springs, then about half the leaves just shriveled up and died. Trees went out for the spring and the rest of last years leaves died off while the new buds were extending. The Silver Leaf oak leaves did not dry up and die, in fact it still looks like it did last fall, no new buds on it either!? Last years leaves look perfect, kind of interesting development for an oak. Alavaro says the leaves turn red in the fall. I may have to leave the tree outside longer? Alvaro is a good person to, so is his wife and kids. Met them all at the North Pole. Thanks for sharing your tree.
Grey oaks are "live oaks" which means they are "evergreen" and retain their leaves for the most part until Spring, when new growth pushes most of them off. Some can drop in the fall, depends.

I have noticed that my grey oak from Alavaro does just give up on some old branching then push hard new growth on other older branching. It has bloomed and produced acorns as well over the last two years.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think my oldest Gray oak is in its third year now with me. Alvaro used grafting tape on one old branch that was cracked when I got it, it was dead the following spring. I did crack a few smaller branches my self and tried to save them, by using cut paste on the cracks and then using heavy wire around the cracked portion to keep it from moving around, waste of my time as it was dead by next spring. I was just looking at the oldest tree a little while ago. It looks like the tip of the longest branch has died back this spring after budding out. Not sure why? You have a nice website and are a very talented artist. I still feel new, all though its been 10 years now. I might have met you if you attended the 2012 International Bonsai Convention held in Denver. I somehow managed to get a tree into the show in my third year of Bonsai. I like unusual trees. I love your rose, not to mention the others to, I have two under development. You can see one of them at my website. I am going to keep checking this post to how your tree is doing, might pick up some tips.

Thank you! Yes I have been in your website/blog before. Really good stuff and please keep up the great work! That rose is beautiful! Need to pick your brain in getting rose hips. Thus far I have not had luck with it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As expected the tree is now putting on a strong second flush after its first rough styling. Virtually every single tip is pushing growth. So good to see! Now it will be left alone for the remainder of the year.

After the oak branches were wired and bent, some were turned and their leaves ended up facing downwards in the process. The result was burnt and/or sun damaged leaves. I was not worried and expected them to drop off. The tree went itself through a sort of self partial defoliation.

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

Damaged leaves as a result of changing their orientation towards the sun when the branches were wire and bent.

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool tree!That bark is something to behold.Here is to hopefully some strong growth.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Beautiful Tree in good hands, stoked to see the future of this tree. I clicked on the initial website link but it did not seem to work. Does the collector sell others? Would love to get in contact with them.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks great! Do you have an idea in mind of how you expect the eventual canopy to turn out?

Lars, if I understand you well, I think the sketch shows my design intent. Treated as a double trunk with two apices.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful Tree in good hands, stoked to see the future of this tree. I clicked on the initial website link but it did not seem to work. Does the collector sell others? Would love to get in contact with them.

Thank you Jeremiah! Yes, Alvaro, who is also a member here, has a site with lots of terrific collected material. His site is called Cho Bonsai.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you Jeremiah! Yes, Alvaro, who is also a member here, has a site with lots of terrific collected material. His site is called Cho Bonsai.
Alvaro’s website has changed, for some reason. Cho bonsai now takes you to a Vietnamese website. Alvaro’s is chobonsaiyamadori.com

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm pretty sure he has a picture that I took on his website. However, no worries. Looks like a great resource for material, thank you!!!

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm pretty sure he has a picture that I took on his website. However, no worries. Looks like a great resource for material, thank you!!!
I'm sorry about the picture. I got some of them many years ago. Let me know which one is the one and I'll remove it.

Were you able to see the site? It is a little spotty with Safari but I'm working on it to change the whole site to be mobile friendly.

Top Bottom