Grow boxes

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The Pond Basket is the reason I can no longer afford to make and sell them.

Maybe make them of a little less pricey wood. I think there would still be a market. Pond baskets are just plain ugly. A lot of people like to have their trees in nice looking pots, even if they aren't bonsai pots per se.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Being by nature a thrifty(cheap) scavenger, I use these plastic fruit boxes I get from a produce market. They are perforated on the bottom and sides and work great if you can stand the ugly pinkness.
bonsai.91109.jpg

I've also built a lot of boxes out of redwood fence boards which you can buy very inexpensively at Home Depot.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, what are the dimensions of those boxes? Do they come in different sizes?

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Folks, just be aware that some of these containers/boxes/crates (produce, fruits, bread, soda, milk, etc.) are not trash that you can just pick up. Most are set at the back of stores for pick-up by the supplier...not for disposal. Kindly ask before you take any (even if it is seating next to the dumpster). ;)

Just a friendly reminder.

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Frojo,

I use a heated pipe, because I read that it was better to have a few large holes, than many small ones, as I assume drainage goes.

Additionally, I can get galvanised pipes at 1" dia., and with a simple propane torch just heat and pierce. Since I have quite a few grow barrels [ 1/4 to 1/3 of the 55 US gal. black plastic ] the pipe makes life easy.
Also done out doors with the wind at my back, blowing the smell away.

I also have the use of elevated grow troughs, so I can lazily sit and work - chuckle.
Good Morning.
Anthony

Does anyone have any additional thoghts about hole size and quantity?

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I also like the look of a wood pot, seems more natural to me. With fired clay bonsai pots becoming more and more scarce, I think there are some possibilities with using wood as the pot material, call it an American bonsai pot or whatever, but I've seen woodworkers do amazing things with wood, and it seems to me that there would be more of them in America than clay pot makers. I realize that this would be a big jump from Chinese/Japanese styles, but maybe it's the jump we need.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I also like the look of a wood pot, seems more natural to me. With fired clay bonsai pots becoming more and more scarce, I think there are some possibilities with using wood as the pot material, call it an American bonsai pot or whatever, but I've seen woodworkers do amazing things with wood, and it seems to me that there would be more of them in America than clay pot makers. I realize that this would be a big jump from Chinese/Japanese styles, but maybe it's the jump we need.

Seriously? :confused:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Maybe make them of a little less pricey wood. I think there would still be a market. Pond baskets are just plain ugly. A lot of people like to have their trees in nice looking pots, even if they aren't bonsai pots per se.

There is always the issue of material and time. When I was making them of Redwood I was having to charge $35--$45--$60 for the three sizes to cover material and time which is the reason for the cost. You don't make one of these boxes in five minutes. The average time if it is done in a batch where you can batch cuts all of the elements takes about 30 minutes each. People were not willing to pay those prices.

If I use Pine you might get two-three years out of one planter. Most people would not be willing to pay for the turn over time to replace with another at the same price or some other alternative. Maybe I'm wrong.

I was using Cedar for a while but that stuff comes in such variable thicknesses that I was forced to run everything through a planner in order to insure identical thickness, a vital feature in the construction of these guys.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Being by nature a thrifty(cheap) scavenger, I use these plastic fruit boxes I get from a produce market. They are perforated on the bottom and sides and work great if you can stand the ugly pinkness.
View attachment 33118

I've also built a lot of boxes out of redwood fence boards which you can buy very inexpensively at Home Depot.

In California. If I had access to that material here in Michigan I might still be making them with a ten year life span.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Seriously? :confused:

There are more and more people developing a good domestic ceramic bonsai pots. I picked up one yesterday from one of the new members of our bonsai club. Great pot. As to making a good looking acceptable pot out of wood is not such a good idea for a number of reasons. One of course is durability. About the only wood I know of that will not rot anytime soon is Teak. Working with Teak is not so easy. It is very hard and the wear on your tools is high, not to mention the cost which is also very high. It is also marginally toxic to work with, you have to be cautious and avoid breathing in the dust.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There are more and more people developing a good domestic ceramic bonsai pot. I picked up one yesterday from one of the new members of our bonsai club. Great pot.

I agree and I own several of them BUT he is alluding to wood bonsai pot! :eek:

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
There are more and more people developing a good domestic ceramic bonsai pot. I picked up one yesterday from one of the new members of our bonsai club. Great pot.

I don't see what that would be so shocking or unbelievable. Americans are very crafty and for the most part we have access to the best tools etc for producing anything we can imagine, including ceramics. I just think that bonsai being such a niche hobby in the states that the majority of people making great ceramics who have honed the art have never even contemplated making pots for bonsai. I think if they knew the demand that was out there some of our top of the line ceramists would be making awesome pots by now.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We just had a potter join our local club. I've been encouraging him to start making bonsai pots. He's mostly into ornate glazes however.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
There is always the issue of material and time. When I was making them of Redwood I was having to charge $35--$45--$60 for the three sizes to cover material and time which is the reason for the cost. You don't make one of these boxes in five minutes. The average time if it is done in a batch where you can batch cuts all of the elements takes about 30 minutes each. People were not willing to pay those prices.

If I use Pine you might get two-three years out of one planter. Most people would not be willing to pay for the turn over time to replace with another at the same price or some other alternative. Maybe I'm wrong.

I was using Cedar for a while but that stuff comes in such variable thicknesses that I was forced to run everything through a planner in order to insure identical thickness, a vital feature in the construction of these guys.

I could see durability becoming an issue. If there was some way to preserve the wood without harming the tree we'd be on to something. People seem to build grow boxes that last 5 years+.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't see what that would be so shocking or unbelievable.

Wood and moisture don't mix. Sorry.

I love wood, been working with it as early as I can remember but there are things it is not suited for. No way it can compete with ceramic with the current coating and preservatives we have.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I could see durability becoming an issue. If there was some way to preserve the wood without harming the tree we'd be on to something. People seem to build grow boxes that last 5 years+.

Now you have added another step in the process, the price goes up every time you do this.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

5 years is nothing compared to 1000 year ceramics can last.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are talking about Ceramics as the mould poured stuff. No, that mix of ball clay and talc, was never meant for practical use, even if fired to cone 02.
It was originally a 1920's or so Art Clay body.

With time the bonding breaks down and the body powders.In our climate it would be in about a year or so.

If you are talking about Potters who work with Stoneware, then you have to find someone who can build by hand for rectangles and squares or other shapes that are not wheel thrown.

Cost depends on how much the person values their time.

Plus, it really depends on your own personal taste, if you are someone who really pays attention to pots, then you need the work of an individual, if you are more into the tree, then Lotus International with the standardized [ classical ] work off of the hump mould out of China is more for you.

I fall into the Lotus International stuff.
Good Evening.
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rather than build grow boxes, one can also use the styro foam/ styrotex boxes that the grapes and apples are shipped in.
They last.
Good Evening.
Anthony

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Wood and moisture don't mix. Sorry.

I love wood, been working with it as early as I can remember but there are things it is not suited for. No way it can compete with ceramic with the current coating and preservatives we have.

Thats more than obvious.:rolleyes: I meant why would they be so shocked that americans can make ceramic pots, just as good, if not better, than japanese or chinese pots.

Top Bottom