Growing Pines for Bonsai by Julian Adams

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I currently have Bonsai Today Master’s Series on Pines and was thinking about picking up a copy of Julian Adams book on growing pines. For those who own both, what would you say are the biggest differences?

I was hoping to get some material that covered some of native pines, but not sure if there’s much printed on that since we’re still learning about how our natives respond to bonsai techniques.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Master's Series is kind of a broad overview. If I had to pick one, it'd be Julian's book by a mile - more in depth in terms of horitculture and day to day IMO.

I think I got a mis-print though, my section on diseases is missing at least a page and the page count jumps, so it's easy to tell that something went wrong in printing 😥. That said, the info can be found elsewhere and the rest of the book makes it well worth owning, even my copy!

If I found an easy way to offload them, I'd sell the Master's series books, but the Adams book won't be leaving my collection. Similar to how Andrea Merrigioldi's book on maples has a permanent slot. I actually have a bunch of books to deal with as I think they've outlived their usefulness for me, but yeah, this one is a keeper.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Both have pluses and minuses. Julian Adams book is generally more for the practical starter folks imho. He does go on about Zuisho pines, but rightfully so as he has been the first to learn how to propagate it on its own roots.

Neither has much on natives, for that you’ll need to go online in places like Mirai Live etc

btw If @badatusernames wants to sell his book, check out Amazon. The Bonsai Today is selling for double what Stone Lantern is... which is 4x more than I paid for it!

cheers
DSD sends

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you both!

I definitely could benefit from the practical starter info. My only pine has been struggling and thus I’ve been hesitant to buy more, which is sad cause I know they can thrive well here and I love pine as bonsai. I unfortunately made a very beginner mistake last year of planting into a box much too big and it stayed wet too long. This year I had to do an emergency repot into a double colander because I didn’t see it improving in the box it was in and was already dealing with needle cast.
249BC3BD-6385-479E-BBAD-62B2123B61DA.jpegD1A95571-E3F2-414D-987C-6D18E29341CE.jpeg786CADDE-DB50-47E3-BFDF-B4C461502740.jpeg59C842FF-040D-400B-8021-9DB6BD775274.jpegD43AC623-E247-47E4-902A-934FE91EB07B.jpeg

Anyway, I’ll have to pick up his book then! I know he’s a great guy and been doing this many many years.

Thank you both again!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Both have pluses and minuses. Julian Adams book is generally more for the practical starter folks imho. He does go on about Zuisho pines, but rightfully so as he has been the first to learn how to propagate it on its own roots.

Neither has much on natives, for that you’ll need to go online in places like Mirai Live etc

btw If @badatusernames wants to sell his book, check out Amazon. The Bonsai Today is selling for double what Stone Lantern is... which is 4x more than I paid for it!

cheers
DSD sends

Hah! Sadly mine isn't a hardcover and I doubt I could bring myself to list it for that even if it was.

I've kind of been debating making a library donation of them, but not sure how many folks are checking bonsai books out of the library.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hah! Sadly mine isn't a hardcover and I doubt I could bring myself to list it for that even if it was.

I've kind of been debating making a library donation of them, but not sure how many folks are checking bonsai books out of the library.
If you’re part of a local club, I know ours gladly accepts book donations.

Top Bottom