just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Purple tinted foliage...interesting.
First 2 pics are my flat top budding out...its always bright green from the get-go.
Second 2 pics are my other one, I swear it was more purple the last couple years, upon opening up.....its more copper colored this year.
Still different than the green one.....but not as purple as I remembered....
Still interesting though....I dunno what the difference is.
Pics don't do the colors any justice either....cloudy sky.....hiding the ufos....
20210511_190428.jpg20210511_190447.jpg20210511_190358.jpg20210511_190417.jpg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have several BC including one from Tampa, FL. I leave the others outside all winter but the FL one stays in the garage all winter. These Florida BC reportedly are not as hardy as their more northern cousins or even trees from Louisiana. I keep the soil moist and then put it outside once temps are above freezing at night. If I expect a freeze I move it back into the garage. This tree has always been the last one to bud out, but it always does. So just be patient, keep it in the sun and keep it moist.

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
Not sure what chance your tree has, but you’ll need a full court press plan likely utilizing a climate and humidity controlled greenhouse, or else I’m afraid it’s hopeless even it it bounces back here.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting...I've always heard yours locally are more hardy for northerners. I now slip into zone 4...for winters. But I've a controlled cold greenhouse and my BC does well for me. Mine is from Florida...where everyone says they need protection if brought up north. So yours from Louisiana you would suggest protection as well then to a degree for winters up this way.
Texas actually, but... There is a handful of anecdotes regarding issues... Including Dale Cochoy who was no neophyte that treated it like all his subtropicals and let it go dormant in his unheated basement area and watched ut slowly decline after a few years.
First 2 pics are my flat top budding out...its always bright green from the get-go.
Second 2 pics are my other one, I swear it was more purple the last couple years, upon opening up.....its more copper colored this year.
Still different than the green one.....but not as purple as I remembered....
Still interesting though....I dunno what the difference is.
Pics don't do the colors any justice either....cloudy sky.....hiding the ufos....
View attachment 374033View attachment 374034View attachment 374035View attachment 374036
I get these color variations also, never thought much about it. I guess I'll have to ID which ones are different and where they were from.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Texas actually, but... There is a handful of anecdotes regarding issues... Including Dale Cochoy who was no neophyte that treated it like all his subtropicals and let it go dormant in his unheated basement area and watched ut slowly decline after a few years.

I get these color variations also, never thought much about it. I guess I'll have to ID which ones are different and where they were from.
Wow, that's to bad. I'm fortunate to have a controlled cold greenhouse where my trees have adequate temps for dormancy. I can't imagine an unheated basement that cold...with ambient heat above from living quarters. Wish he was alive so I could talk to him as to if they lost foliage while down there...

Ahhh Texas. Yeah, not sure why I thought Louisiana...other than those are the two states I've heard compared to which are cold hardier.

Tedescojmt

Seed
Reaction score
image.jpgQuick update, seeing some signs of life. Considering taking this tree to my local bonsai club soon to seek further advice for my climate. Thanks for all the help in the meantime!

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So now is where you let it grow out profusely and then train it back (despite what any local club members tell you to do!). You want it to get over its climate shock and gain a lot of strength.

Mild liquid fertilizers frequently and/or top dressing types all through the growing season.

Stella

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
One of the very experienced guys at my club keeps his bald cypress trees submerged in water. These trees needs a lot of water. Maybe try putting your pot in a container of water

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the very experienced guys at my club keeps his bald cypress trees submerged in water. These trees needs a lot of water. Maybe try putting your pot in a container of water
Definitely a solution if you can't keep and/or want strong growth. The root capacity is affected- "water roots" that must be kept saturated at all times and the growth is potentially much coarser. I do it myself since TX conditions can be unforgiving bu anything I would be potentially showing would be in a coarse bonsai mix and watered more frequently.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely a solution if you can't keep and/or want strong growth. The root capacity is affected- "water roots" that must be kept saturated at all times and the growth is potentially much coarser. I do it myself since TX conditions can be unforgiving bu anything I would be potentially showing would be in a coarse bonsai mix and watered more frequently.
Coarser...how so? Mine is submerged. Taken out for photo of course. But I'm not familiar with the species overly other than my own on my bench.

20210531_120728.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am very unclear on when to begin normalizing the wet feet on BC for wintering over. ??

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For a shohin size tree one would not consider that finely ramified. I predict it will be an issue. Maybe I will be proven wrong.
I cut the entire tree back not long ago. When I changed direction and created the weeping style. For a better image...the branches all had to go. In my minds eye...for scale and the movement I wanted. So it's not nearly as long in development since that period. 😉

I'm quite smitten with where it's been taken so far. Time will tell...but it's been admired by some pretty big names in the hobby already. So we shall see.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am very unclear on when to begin normalizing the wet feet on BC for wintering over. ??
Unfortunately I don't have a formal process, I kind of let the natural ebb and flow of our climate dictate... mimics the natural state of the bayous. At some point we're dry enough for long enough that I start to water them then I plunk them on the bench...

Gary Marchal used to say it was a "different kind of root" but it may just be the cellular structure has adapted to "easy water". It would then have to develop more on the cellular level to take in moisture and "toughen" up a bit to prevent drying out. Like moving a plant from true hydro/exposed roots to soil...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Sekibonsai ... I assumed coarse was in foliage. You're saying ramification then. I wire mine as soon as I see a frond extending past a single frond realizing it will be a branch. And remove any not in the proper place for scale of tree.

So maybe with not allowing it to just grow unhinged..and controlling so early. I will see different results.

First few years I just observed growth...studying...to learn how to tackle said tree. This was why it needed that hard cut back.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut the entire tree back not long ago. When I changed direction and created the weeping style. For a better image...the branches all had to go. In my minds eye...for scale and the movement I wanted. So it's not nearly as long in development since that period. 😉

I'm quite smitten with where it's been taken so far. Time will tell...but it's been admired by some pretty big names in the hobby already. So we shall see.
I wasn't implying it wasn't a nice little tree but the best illusion of age is brought out with well ramified branches and, in turn, reduced leaves... BC are a bit reluctant to begin with and leaving them in water just makes shoots grow large and strong rather than tight and slow. Its a challenge for sure!

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the term interchangeably for branching and foliage. A lot of times it goes hand in hand. BC are most happy when their toes are cool and wet. Explosive growth with long "feathers". Challenging to make a really exceptional shohin- that's why you never see them and it makes yours that much more special.

Don't think I've EVER seen a really tiny one attempted!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Sekibonsai ... I'm constantly keeping this in check. I think it was either @Vin or @Mellow Mullet mentioned to do that.

Also one of them knew one with a smaller bald cypress than my own.

You just can not to lot allow it to run free. They grow like mad as you know and its hard to reel them back in to scale if you let your guard down on such a small tree. It's small container I presume helps to a degree...keeping things in check. I would imagine a larger root base and pot would be even more challenging to take these under control. I like attention to detail...and thus...to get the movement I've chose to add. It needs wired while shoots are tender.

Top Bottom