Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This could take a while, lol

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, I don't see it must have been a while ago, it was like a professional photo so I click-search and it was an ad for some site but the person claimed it was in their home.

Reaction score
Rainy weather is good for Chinese elm. If you have it in decent soil, get ready to see it growing a lot!
Thanks very much for the information! I have placed it outside for the day and there don't seem to be new black spots. This is working but would a grow light work? As I like having it near me during the day. I would still mist it and water it quite often

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks very much for the information! I have placed it outside for the day and there don't seem to be new black spots. This is working but would a grow light work? As I like having it near me during the day
If you have a light with UV strong enough to keep the elm alive, you may get your eyes damaged if you keep staring at your tree.
PS: Staring at it won't make it grow any faster, ramify any better. Take a look at it and keep that in your mind if you wish. You can even take a picture and look at it on your phone. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I will try and decide what to do thank you very much! Have a great day

(I just want to clarify that I don't want to mess with anyone it was a genuine question sorry for any confusion)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks very much for the information! I have placed it outside for the day and there don't seem to be new black spots. This is working but would a grow light work? As I like having it near me during the day
It's possible to keep it indoors under a light, but you'd need a pretty stout light. If your windows face south and have good sun exposure, even glazed that would help, but you'd still need some powerful lighting to keep the tree healthy.
This might be an option for winter. I successfully kept a variety of sun loving trees in my north facing window this past winter with only a handful of cheap lights to supplement. Chinese elms can go without a winter dormancy period, though I hear they do much better with it. I don't own one myself so I can't give you much detail.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pictures of the tree?

Outside is the best. Name a tree that naturally grows inside? Lol.

But it needs that climate and weather. Make sure you water it so the soil is damp, but not waterlogged, give it plenty of sun, and be patient. It will do well.

Look up threads on here of other chinese elms to help understand your tree!

Is this your only tree? Get fifty more so you dont kill the one tree with love!

Sorry for the nuts, but welcome to crazy, as @sorce Is keen to say.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@iLikeToGrowBonsai - Actually - you do not need a UV component in artificial light to grow an elm or other trees indoors. Visit your local "Under Lights Grow Shop" for latest in marijuana growing lights. Lights bright enough to grow marijuana are bright enough to grow trees like elms, indoors. The technology for under lights growing has advanced so rapidly. Read on line about lights for growing marijuana. These can also be mail ordered through the internet. The grow shop is useful for seeing the lights in person to get an idea of space required and such. Read threads here by @cmeg1 - he has a number of articles on under lights growing of elms and even pine tree seedlings.

By the way Chinese elms are perfectly hardy outdoors year round in Ireland. They will winter just fine if the pot is set on the ground for the winter. I understand the desire to keep a tree indoors, but the chinese elm will actually be healthier with less work if kept outdoors. The Irish winter will give the elm the dormancy it needs to be its healthiest.

There are other species that are better for indoor growing. Jaboticaba, Ficus, are both fairly easy under lights. Eugenia has flowers and fruit. There are many species that you could grow indoors.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There are too many internet sellers claiming elm can be indoors. This is a new claim and was not the case a few years ago. There are few species that can be indoors.

Actually with the innovations developed by the marijuana industry, light is not the limiting factor for growing trees indoors, anymore. Back in 1999 I would say you can't grow trees under lights, but today that is simply not true, technology has advanced beyond that road block.

There are horticultural limits that are tricky, for example, pines need a sharp day-night temperature change, which is difficult indoor in a home, even if you have bright enough lights. So there are reasons pines are hard to grow under lights, but lights are no long the limit.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually with the innovations developed by the marijuana industry, light is not the limiting factor for growing trees indoors, anymore. Back in 1999 I would say you can't grow trees under lights, but today that is simply not true, technology has advanced beyond that road block.

There are horticultural limits that are tricky, for example, pines need a sharp day-night temperature change, which is difficult indoor in a home, even if you have bright enough lights. So there are reasons pines are hard to grow under lights, but lights are no long the limit.
Well, yeah, the lighting quality has gotten better, but what about the cost in set up and electricity consumption (not only direct electrical consumption, but heat dissipation, etc.) I don't know much about this stuff, since indoors is never really going to be a great place to grow bonsai, unless you're willing to dedicate a section of your house to it. Lighting is better, but air circulation and low relative humidity are also big hurdles...

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
then elms would have to be brought outside part of the year to create some sense of dormancy?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Leo in N E Illinois
@rockm

Pines will never push an 18” candle indoors.

Co2 becomes limiting factor as one increases loght intensity.

And,yes……window vented floor ac and a seperate auto running dehumidifier set at 60 rh running year round with my setup……….an extra $120 mnth in electricity……..for hobby is a lot,but for business this is not very terrible costs.

a $30 tank of co2 will last me about 6-8 weeks with the way I run……..usually 3 tanks at once…….set at 600-800 ppm this can last over 2 mnths!
pushing 1200 ppm in a rush……5 weeks

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are doing a lot of seedlings though, what would it cost for ONE light bulb for one tree, or is that light not available?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can find a good led light set up that will definitely keep your elm in a sunny window for under $100, so maybe 130 pounds if I have the exchange right.

If it's in a sunny window, though, you can actually take it a few steps down. I have a couple Sansi 24w lights that I used on my plants/trees in a north facing window over winter, and to go bougainvillea, Barbados cherry, ficus, and jade entirely under lights- no sunlight available at all- at work. The screw into a regular light socket, and run about $15 to $20 on Amazon last I checked. They do get pretty warm, but for the cost to effectiveness ratio they've been awesome. They have 32w ones as well. If you're trying elm under completely artificial light, you may want 2, and don't be too surprised if that's not enough.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's not too bad $100 for the cooler lights, many people in the south would pay $500 for a whole grow window with refrigerator to grow some northern trees... cherry blossoms and japanese maple and FALL FOLIAGE omg...

Reaction score
Hi guys i was wondering i am no longer getting black spots but my new leaves are growing and they are a brownish color kind of gone off avocado mush color does anybody know what is wrong? (It has been outside for the past 4 days so I don't know)leaf.jpg

Reaction score
Hi guys i was wondering i am no longer getting black spots but my new leaves are growing and they are a brownish color kind of gone off avocado mush color does anybody know what is wrong? (It has been outside for the past 4 days so I don't know)View attachment 441899
Just to add, I have massive southern-facing windows but are triple glazed so not much uv is getting in, I have gotten a quite cheap grow light to supplement the light source

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
color is just fine for new growth, they will turn green soon

Reaction score
OK thanks for the help! I thoguth that might be what was happening but was getting worried

Top Bottom