Someone Help My Bonsai!

JaiDoubleU

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,
I have inherited a bonsai tree that I don’t think is doing well. It’s leaves look healthy, but it’s not very shapely. I'm hoping someone help me identify what it’s suffering from (if anything) and provide tips on how best to care for it. It appears to have been pruned rather harshly at some point and the new branches have grown out unevenly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jason

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 47

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is suffering from being inside
May not be possible to take it outside now depending on where the original poster lives. Before worrying about shape at all it needs to become healthier, so I would just follow basic houseplant care (brightest window, water when dry partway down, fertilizing following the instructions on the box). Does this pot have a hole on the bottom?

JaiDoubleU

Seedling
Reaction score
May not be possible to take it outside now depending on where the original poster lives. Before worrying about shape at all it needs to become healthier, so I would just follow basic houseplant care (brightest window, water when dry partway down, fertilizing following the instructions on the box). Does this pot have a hole on the bottom?
Yes, it does have holes

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, it does have holes
Great. Try and be patient with it and nurse it back to health and it will respond better when you do cut it back. If you can keep it going til next summer, that would be a good time to repot it and have a look at the roots.

JaiDoubleU

Seedling
Reaction score
Great. Try and be patient with it and nurse it back to health and it will respond better when you do cut it back. If you can keep it going til next summer, that would be a good time to repot it and have a look at the roots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dusty!

Welcome to Crazy!

It might have mites.

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is a ficus. They can be tricky.
They don’t like to be too wet or too dry. They don’t like to get cold either.
If this one doesn’t make it then please try again.
The secret is to find a really healthy one to start with.
They like bright light and bottom heat. If you happen to have a seedling mat and a grow light you could try that. I’m in Iowa.
245CDAC5-90F9-46DC-AFF7-9E3B590EF8B0.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would try to get it healthy before doing any work to it. If needed you could remove it from this container and put it in a slightly larger container- being very careful not to disturb the roots too much.
this would give you a chance to see what the roots look like. Are they white? Brown? Smelly?
Is the soil a potting mix or a bonsai mix?
If it is soil it will probably need watered less often.

Top Bottom