Inexpensive satsuki azalea

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not all satsuki azaleas from Japan are expensive. Likewise, just because you are buying an inexpensive tree DOESN'T mean you shouldn't expect a strong design. Check out this azalea currently listed on Midori-To-Kurasu.com for $40.

satsuki1.jpg

Would you pay $40 for this tree? In the U.S. this tree would do well at a shohin exhibition.

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
that is a sweet lil tree...I have seen few places to buy satsuki in my area and have looked online as a last resort. I found this place http://sonomahort.com/azalea_info.htm but have yet to order from them. They do not have pictures and that irks me. I really am just looking for stock and not fnished bonsai but if any of you have any ideas or leads....please post them.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, if you are ever visiting the L.A. area they are available at many nurseries for standard landscaping prices. At San Gabriel Nursery they have a ton of them (dozens of varieties). I tend to have trouble with azaleas - their roots are fibrous and tender and they need acidic soil. Though I have been tempted, I haven't bought a satsuki in years.

paddles

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have one, bought as a starter, It's a mass of trunks? at the moment. I'm planing to slowly trim it back to one upright? Over the next 5 yrs or so. I want the finished product to look like this
azalea_bonsai.jpg

Well, I can dream can't I?

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have only attempted an azalea once but here we have very hard tap water so azaleas don't do as well as some of us here would like. I ended up giving the azalea to my grandmother lol

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Outlaw,
I realize the post was from a month and a half ago but if still looking around http://www.miniplantkingdom.com/ has quite a selection of azaleas.

bonsai0987

Seed
Reaction score
hi there im new to this bonsai thing and i like that azalea that you have posted up on here where could i buy something like that at that price so if you could give me some info on where i could get my hand on it that would be great

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always like to shop at landscape nurseries. The stock is often more mature and the prices a bit more reasonable. You're not going to find a potential masterpiece (see the many various posts on this site) Here is an azalea I picked up for under $15. I bought it earlier this winter and haven't touched it yet.

Actually, I planned to post this to get suggestions. I may make it a slanting, wind swept or banyan style. I'm not sure if I should keep to the two branches that look a little like trunks (or maybe, they're small trunks that look like branches). If anyone has some suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• azalea-back-2-2-08.jpg
    azalea-back-2-2-08.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 91
  • azalea-back.jpg
    azalea-back.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

jimj.

Sapling
Reaction score
thinkimg of a Autumn Moon azalea

I think azaleas are very nice bonsai material. I dont have alot of experiance with them but I know they require acidic soil and I water mine with rain water or water from a spring nearby. I am going to try a Autumn Moon azalea from New England bonsai does anyone have a experiance ordering pre bonsai from them are the plants healthy when you order from them ? The reason I am asking is because last year I orderd a Deshojo red maple from another company and it lived maybe a month and died. I think maples are beautiful trees but I will never order another.

JJR

Seedling
Reaction score
I agree that this tree would be a good buy at $40. As far as doing well at an exhibit... That's another story. Looks like a good start, but this tree needs quite a bit of refining. After a few years of work it may be nice, but I would not even consider showing the tree as it is now.

Jon

Top Bottom