Introduction.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alrighty we are talking food. Here's my go by recipe for quick and dirty dish. It's a simple dish but I won a cooking contest with it a few years back.

Blackened fish with shrimp/crawfish/crab garlic cream topping.

3 lbs of fish fillets (salmon, trout, redfish, tuna, tilapia (meh), catfish (meh))
1/2 cup diced sweet onion
1 shallots
4 cloves of garlic crushed and diced
1/2 cup diced red/organce bell pepper
1/2 lb of shrimp/crabmeat/bay scallops
3 tbsp butter (more if you wish)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp cream cheese
Tony Charcherey's or blacken fish seasoning
1/2 small lemon

Direction:
Making the cream sauce:
Put some butter in the pan on high heat and sautee the onion/shallot, and garlic briefly then drop in the shrimp/scallop.
Season the shrimp/scallop lightly because we want the sauce to have natural sweetness. The saltiness should come from the blackened fish.
Cook the shrimp/scallop for 2 minutes then drop in the bell pepper and cook for 2 more minutes. Then lower the heat to low and put in the
heavy cream/cream cheese (and crabmeat if you use crabmeat). Let simmer for 8-10 minutes while the fish is being blackened. When the sauce is ready
it should be relatively thick and make large bubbles when boiled. If it's not thick enough, add a bit more cream cheese.

Blackening the fish
Pat dry fish fillets and coat them with Tony Charcherey's or seasoning to taste.
With a pan (cast iron preferred) on high heat, put butter in pan on and wait until pan is really hot and just begin to smoke the put in fish fillets.
Cook fish a few minutes on each side. The time depends on the thickness of the fillet. When the fish is cooked halfway through,
turn it over and finish cooking on the other side. Squeeze a few drop of lemon on the cooked side.

Plate the fish and immediately top it with the hot cream sauce. Garnish to your liking and serve immediately.
Sounds great to me . As a southerner you may be surprised to learn most Canadian s consider cat fish garbage fish and will not eat it even to the point some fisherman hate the fish stealing food for good gamefish . Some sport fish fir them for the fight . And there is a French based thing to catch Barbtte . Which is Quebec slang for brown bullheads fought in early spring and deep fried they are extra good eating out of the cold fresh water . But if you suggested eating a channel cat they would look at you like you had 3 heads Myself I love Cajun food blackened catfish yum

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is crazy.. considering so many of cultures like these's traditions are fading into non-remembrance...

MOST Native Americans CAN'T speak their tribes language.
Yep it’s stupid especially in my friends case . Someone translated the recipe book into French from Algonquin for the reason of people reading and using them not hiding them

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
been thinking of a ground growing system . To max the benefits and improve the tree removal and or compost replacement Here’s what I’ve got so far looking for improvements defects anything you guys think . Take regular square cement patio stones or some call them patio pavers. You know come several sizes 2 to 2..5 feet square by 2 inches thick stand 4 on end to form a box drive 1x1 stakes into the ground 2 each side to hold them in place . A simple 4 sided frame around the top that’s removable . Dark pavers to absorb heat from sun voila plant tree on board in Center or use hard plastic or not decomposable material to separate it into 4 square deep compartment for say . Developing long roots for ROR style use the top wood frame for anchors to tie down branches or mount auto watering fertilizer system . Etc it’s raised to develop cascades or get thickening lower sacrifice branches away from the trunk over the side so to speak . It warms faster in the sun in spring . Dig time you take the tip off pull the stakes sides come away no digging needed . You have all the roots above ground level . Just put it back together fresh compost root trim just like a repot

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
been thinking of a ground growing system . To max the benefits and improve the tree removal and or compost replacement Here’s what I’ve got so far looking for improvements defects anything you guys think . Take regular square cement patio stones or some call them patio pavers. You know come several sizes 2 to 2..5 feet square by 2 inches thick stand 4 on end to form a box drive 1x1 stakes into the ground 2 each side to hold them in place . A simple 4 sided frame around the top that’s removable . Dark pavers to absorb heat from sun voila plant tree on board in Center or use hard plastic or not decomposable material to separate it into 4 square deep compartment for say . Developing long roots for ROR style use the top wood frame for anchors to tie down branches or mount auto watering fertilizer system . Etc it’s raised to develop cascades or get thickening lower sacrifice branches away from the trunk over the side so to speak . It warms faster in the sun in spring . Dig time you take the tip off pull the stakes sides come away no digging needed . You have all the roots above ground level . Just put it back together fresh compost root trim just like a repot
Definitely a great idea and project.

We are planning a similar set-up at my Parent's land in Interlachen, due to the high sand content of the soils there.

What you have described is quite similar to the "working concept" we are "on" at the moment.

So... I think it's a great idea!

(There exist several differences such as the inner divisions and lining material.. but you get'twat'm'sane.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely a great idea and project.

We are planning a similar set-up at my Parent's land in Interlachen, due to the high sand content of the soils there.

What you have described is quite similar to the "working concept" we are "on" at the moment.

So... I think it's a great idea!

(There exist several differences such as the inner divisions and lining material.. but you get'twat'm'sane.
So what’s different about yours please share

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Smaller, LONGER beds, without divisions(to fit the property)These beds done with the discussed patio pavers, but TWICE-deep.. to combat moisture loss, as well as geographical shifting of the sandy earth.

Lined at the bottom with stainless mesh.. bolted to the foundation slabs.

🤓

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smaller, LONGER beds, without divisions(to fit the property)These beds done with the discussed patio pavers, but TWICE-deep.. to combat moisture loss, as well as geographical shifting of the sandy earth.

Lined at the bottom with stainless mesh.. bolted to the foundation slabs.

🤓
I find of don’t get why so deep and what’s the mesh going to accomplish . Moisture loss you have to consider watering at least occasionally you are going to have to dig them up root prune to get a compact root system and therefore need to have access to water them otherwise it’s like collecting a wild tree with the needed root recovery .

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I find of don’t get why so deep and what’s the mesh going to accomplish . Moisture loss you have to consider watering at least occasionally you are going to have to dig them up root prune to get a compact root system and therefore need to have access to water them otherwise it’s like collecting a wild tree with the needed root recovery .
Haha.. this is just for their landscape... for TREE trees. 🤓

Because the soil is ALL sand. (That's why the deep pockets)

No Bonsai purposes.. just somewhat similar to your idea...

Mesh (more like tight, chain-link) on the bottom to hold NON-sand UP and less integrated WITH the sand.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sand will just add drainage . Have they thought of planting pine often used to stabilize a sandy area . There is a huge forest recreation area here . Was farm land poor crop and soil management then a freak wind storm blew away the top soil in the 1920s seen pics it looked like a desert . Government took over the land planted in red and white pine . Wilderness study area now kind of un natural but cool neat rows of old growth pine

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sand will just add drainage . Have they thought of planting pine often used to stabilize a sandy area . There is a huge forest recreation area here . Was farm land poor crop and soil management then a freak wind storm blew away the top soil in the 1920s seen pics it looked like a desert . Government took over the land planted in red and white pine . Wilderness study area now kind of un natural but cool neat rows of old growth pine
Cool! Pines are a good idea... gotta use zone 9b Pines, though. 🤓

Our reason for the depth, and also not wanting the soil to integrate with the surrounding sand... lies in the shifting that occurs in TRUE sand soils..

Like... this.

AF4B8AD3-A14E-49B4-B799-A4FBC14DB0CB.jpeg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool! Pines are a good idea... gotta use zone 9b Pines, though. 🤓

Our reason for the depth, and also not wanting the soil to integrate with the surrounding sand... lies in the shifting that occurs in TRUE sand soils..

Like... this.

View attachment 441407
I get it now your not making a raised bed but in the ground grow bed zone 9b where are they thought it was up north like you

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been thinking about the new recycled rubber pellet mulch you can buy in bags .it’s available in ideal size for bonsai compost basically slightly irregular shaped chewed up black rubber not really for trees in a final pot . But recently collected trees or as a mix for in ground growing it’s fairly light cheap don’t break down could be washed over a screen to remove any left over organics and then reused It don’t retain water just pure light tough drainage material having trouble seeing a downside

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Been thinking about the new recycled rubber pellet mulch you can buy in bags .it’s available in ideal size for bonsai compost basically slightly irregular shaped chewed up black rubber not really for trees in a final pot . But recently collected trees or as a mix for in ground growing it’s fairly light cheap don’t break down could be washed over a screen to remove any left over organics and then reused It don’t retain water just pure light tough drainage material having trouble seeing a downside
Just don't use it for growing food that's all. It contains metal and organic contaminants with known environmental and/or human health effects. Just look up rubber in tires and you will find out what's in that stuff.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you need SOME level of water retention in the material for it to grow anything effectively, and it will decompose over time, especially in full sun, releasing chemicals you might not want your trees eating. Doesn't seem like the sort of stuff that would make a good growing medium.
As a top dressing, maybe.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fair point I don’t intend to grow food in it just trees . And the bugs that eat the trees can have the toxins 😂😂. I do know that what your saying is true . But for some time people in the USA and Canada have been throwing used car tires into lakes and rivers . Not to pollute object is so fish can use them as protected spawn sites . Multiple environmental groups have raised hell about it . Several studies from government and private industry. . Have proven the tires leach harmful toxins into the water at such a slow rate there is no measurable effect on the environment .

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Fair point I don’t intend to grow food in it just trees . And the bugs that eat the trees can have the toxins 😂😂. I do know that what your saying is true . But for some time people in the USA and Canada have been throwing used car tires into lakes and rivers . Not to pollute object is so fish can use them as protected spawn sites . Multiple environmental groups have raised hell about it . Several studies from government and private industry. . Have proven the tires leach harmful toxins into the water at such a slow rate there is no measurable effect on the environment .
If you are using them as a fill volume for trees then they are just fine. No absorbance or release of water or nutrient but it will occupy the volume much in the same way lots of people use pebbles.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are using them as a fill volume for trees then they are just fine. No absorbance or release of water or nutrient but it will occupy the volume much in the same way lots of people use pebbles.
That is kind of the idea not just volume filler but course particle for drainage see my thread on ground growing I’m trying to come up with a system to eliminate disadvantages of developing in the ground next step is what do I use for soil / compost I’m thinking cheap bonsai soil as per volume needed drainage particles probable DE and organic In equal parts see the tread. Thinking the rubber ad drainage particle at this point unsure of organic. Normally use pine bark but again amount needed can get cedar mulch cheap or pine and peat moss mix 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom