Is my Chinese elm healthy?

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey all,

I hope you’re well. After a few long months things have opened back up. I traveled to my local bonsai shop. I purchased a Chinese elm. I have questions about its leaves. Can any of you diagnose what is wrong with the leaves. A little background, the bonsai shop has been closed for 2 months. So idk is the trees were getting proper care. They are in a unheated green house. I picked up this tree at a good deal, and the bark is amazing! What do you all think is going on with the leaves? I am hoping nothing to serious. I asked at the shop, they said it was a sign of over watering. I hope that’s the case and an easy remedy.

also the tag said Chinese elm, but I’ve never seen an elm with such amazing bark. Anyone know just by the bark what type of elm?

Attachments

• 34EC0A42-C389-471E-839F-B974F8289C9A.jpeg
    34EC0A42-C389-471E-839F-B974F8289C9A.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 121
  • D79C95AC-F825-49F8-971D-3ABD9025D901.jpeg
    D79C95AC-F825-49F8-971D-3ABD9025D901.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 9006B0A4-82B5-484E-BDFA-BD7B46BD3E1E.jpeg
    9006B0A4-82B5-484E-BDFA-BD7B46BD3E1E.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 60F5A762-FA10-42F5-87C9-B9E740A6C723.jpeg
    60F5A762-FA10-42F5-87C9-B9E740A6C723.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DA0DE83D-EBB5-41A2-95AB-DC5D5246665C.jpeg
    DA0DE83D-EBB5-41A2-95AB-DC5D5246665C.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 5D2474C3-C5A5-4DAC-9324-BE6A9C88D1AF.jpeg
    5D2474C3-C5A5-4DAC-9324-BE6A9C88D1AF.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 288A24DF-DA47-47E3-857D-7AA3A78AD29F.jpeg
    288A24DF-DA47-47E3-857D-7AA3A78AD29F.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 127

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It’s a corkbark Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia ‘Corticosa’.
This graphic is a bit of an oversimplification, but if it’s not insect damage (check undersides of thr leaves), and it’s not fungal, then try a high Manganese supplement.
AE93D205-1ED0-42D6-9A6E-97D1228E8FB5.png

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That Corky bark Chinese elm goes by a number of different names. I have seen it called Ulmus davidii, U. parvifolia 'Davidii' or just Cork bark Chinese elm.
It is used quite a lot for bonsai because of the bark which looks old relatively quick. Sometimes the bark at ground level rots off which leaves reverse taper but otherwise very good to work with.
The leaves do look like it has a nutrient deficiency so a good fertilizer with trace elements will probably make a difference fairly quick. Overwatering could also equate to nutrient deficiency if they have not kept up with fert properly or if the water has high pH.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also look at the backs of the leaves for dark speckles looking like dirt particles, but are really thrips.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Always great to wake up to some answers waiting for me. Thanks all, I’ll keep you posted on leaves. I’m excited about this tree!!!

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This graphic is a bit of an oversimplification, but if it’s not insect damage (check undersides of thr leaves), and it’s not fungal, then try a high Manganese supplement.
View attachment 315454
no insects on the back of leaves!! That’s relieving.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That Corky bark Chinese elm goes by a number of different names. I have seen it called Ulmus davidii, U. parvifolia 'Davidii' or just Cork bark Chinese elm.
It is used quite a lot for bonsai because of the bark which looks old relatively quick. Sometimes the bark at ground level rots off which leaves reverse taper but otherwise very good to work with.
The leaves do look like it has a nutrient deficiency so a good fertilizer with trace elements will probably make a difference fairly quick. Overwatering could also equate to nutrient deficiency if they have not kept up with fert properly or if the water has high pH.
No insects on the back of leaves. I did see one dead lady bug on the branch. I also saw one ant climbing up a branch. But again no dark spots on the back of the leaves. What is a good fertilizer with trace elements?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Something like Miracle Grow that has micro-elements listed and good old sunlight should bring it back to normal. Ferts several times a summer rather than lots & often. Maintenance of growth rather than strong growth is what I shoot for. Yours is big enough already.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No insects on the back of leaves. I did see one dead lady bug on the branch. I also saw one ant climbing up a branch. But again no dark spots on the back of the leaves. What is a good fertilizer with trace elements?

I have yet to see ants that don't lead to aphids or scale.

You gotta watch them till they get there.

You'll find the problem.

Sorce

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have yet to see ants that don't lead to aphids or scale.

You gotta watch them till they get there.

You'll find the problem.

Sorce

Something like Miracle Grow that has micro-elements listed and good old sunlight should bring it back to normal. Ferts several times a summer rather than lots & often. Maintenance of growth rather than strong growth is what I shoot for. Yours is big enough already.

Thanks guys,

I will keep a look out as well and put some treatment on it to make sure to stop the bugs before they start. Thanks for the info on the miracle grow. I will give it a good treatment. I also have HB101. Do any of you all use that fertilizer?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
fertilizer

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make sure you include to treat the trunk thoroughly. Cork-types have lots of spots for small pests to shelter.

Re-asses your watering habits.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Sorce
Thanks for the link, i will take a look.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Make sure you include to treat the trunk thoroughly. Cork-types have lots of spots for small pests to shelter.

Re-asses your watering habits.
Will do, i have a moisture meter, so that helps me gauge when to water. I will definitely give the trunk a thorough soak. Let me post an image of the fungicide i use. I wanna get feedback on it if possible.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is the treatment I am going to use.

Attachments

• 1866ED92-B84C-4EEE-995D-6C51EF97ED5E.jpeg
    1866ED92-B84C-4EEE-995D-6C51EF97ED5E.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 72

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neem is a dormant spray. Avoid it's use during the growing season. I avoid it all together.
Three-in-ones are ok, but diagnose the problem correctly so you can focus in on the appropriate action.
Big nursery cans like this hold too much water on the bottom. New roots tend to populate this area. It's not the best environment for tender root tips, too wet.
Nurseries use these big cans to mitigate watering ….like, they want to water once a week at most. Water costs money and it's basically an overhead cost.
I suspect your watering too much. $15 "water meter" is basically useless. In-accurate and most likely can't reach the deepest regions of your container.
Apply a light spray of your 3-1 to the leaves and the bark. Be judicious, no waterfalls.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I normally wouldn't disagree with Brian, but I am pretty sure this is a Ulmus parvifolia 'yatsubusa'

We were just talking about cork bark elms on another thread, so I happen to have a photo of a yatsubusa that I took earlier today. Note the narrow leaves, and... the same strange yellow markings on the some of the leaves. I personally don't think it is a disease or insect damage, but rather a natural coloration pattern of the cultivar. The grower I got the tree from actually considered it a type of variegation.

Not going to say that I am 100% confident that there isn't something wrong with my tree as well - other than to state that I have had it a good five years, it is on a bench with a whole bunch of other Chinese elms, and it is the only one with these yellow markings. It gets the same water, soil, and fertilization treatment as all my other elms.

yatsubusa.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I normally wouldn't disagree with Brian, but I am pretty sure this is a Ulmus parvifolia 'yatsubusa'

We were just talking about cork bark elms on another thread, so I happen to have a photo of a yatsubusa that I took earlier today. Note the narrow leaves, and... the same strange yellow markings on the some of the leaves. I personally don't think it is a disease or insect damage, but rather a natural coloration pattern of the cultivar. The grower I got the tree from actually considered it a type of variegation.

Not going to say that I am 100% confident that there isn't something wrong with my tree as well - other than to state that I have had it a good five years, it is on a bench with a whole bunch of other Chinese elms, and it is the only one with these yellow markings. It gets the same water, soil, and fertilization treatment as all my other elms.

View attachment 315734

Shot of the bark?
cameras.gif

Top Bottom