It's time to post your best tropicals here!

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A ficus, not sure on proper ID, many have made suggestions. Started upright. Due to a "happy little mistake" its now a semi-cascade. Let it go the past few months aside from getting rid of long runners and plan on letting it run wild into next summer, so its lost what little definition it had and the.. apex? Main cascade branch? needs a chop. Its growing towards the viewer and the leaves are huge but it has a nice replacement right behind it that follows the flow. Oh well. its going to run free for a little while before any adjustments are made. I hope to find a proper semi cascade pot for it and get it looking right

20201128_153052.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
best is relative

here’s one ficus

SVKPERW.jpg

here’s another

wV8zA0b.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
here’s a willow leaf in cleaning up that isn’t loving being inside for winter. i’ve had these completely defoliate in response so i got cheap UV lights from amazon, and comparatively this is doing fantastic. my retusas don’t drop their leaves the same way.

qTNEPkh.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
here’s a willow leaf in cleaning up that isn’t loving being inside for winter. i’ve had these completely defoliate in response so i got cheap UV lights from amazon, and comparatively this is doing fantastic. my retusas don’t drop their leaves the same way.

qTNEPkh.jpg
None of my other ficus drop leaves inside, but the Willow leaf always throws it's leaves down in disgust when brought in.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Brazilian Raintree “Maggi” gifted to me in 2008 and purported to be 16yrs old at that time.

Nice BRT, love the trunk!
Seems healthy and happy.
Unless it is a question of location, it doesn't look like 16 YO to me; after 15 years they are usually very thick and more chunky, not as elegant as yours is now.
But... I may be wrong, of course!

PS-The reverse taper occurring on the trunk around the 4th branch could have been avoided by chopping off one of the branches that grew almost at the same height, a common problem with BRTs.

SSwizard

Seed
Reaction score
Nice BRT, love the trunk!
Seems healthy and happy.
Unless it is a question of location, it doesn't look like 16 YO to me; after 15 years they are usually very thick and more chunky, not as elegant as yours is now.
But... I may be wrong, of course!

PS-The reverse taper occurring on the trunk around the 4th branch could have been avoided by chopping off one of the branches that grew almost at the same height, a common problem with BRTs.
I have had it 12 yrs. It has grown but as you say the reverse taper in the trunk is obvious from certain angles. When I first received it I attempted some reshaping. The die back on BRT is a bit concerning so In was conservative. I believe it to well over 20 yrs old.

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
Well, today it started to bloom again, which is always a pleasure for my eyes!
View attachment 347625
Hi,
lorapetalum is certainly beautiful!

I just bought one and starting blooming, too. This is the first time I take care of lorapetalum. Can I ask you a question? Two weeks ago I saw pink leaves started popping out and then only one flower showed up. After that, only pink leaves keep growing on the branches. There are no more flowers. Did I do anything wrong? Does the flower bloom slowly after leaves grow out?

Thank you.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hi,
lorapetalum is certainly beautiful!

I just bought one and starting blooming, too. This is the first time I take care of lorapetalum. Can I ask you a question? Two weeks ago I saw pink leaves started popping out and then only one flower showed up. After that, only pink leaves keep growing on the branches. There are no more flowers. Did I do anything wrong? Does the flower bloom slowly after leaves grow out?

Thank you.
Hi Joyce, where are you from? Here they bloom full in Spring and by the end of the summer, otherwise only new red/purplish leaves appear. At least here in Brazil.

Top Bottom