Japanese White Pine Restyle

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice progression Brian! Love to see those things.
White pine my personal favorite, but there's only one thing that doesn't fit the design that in my opinion is that the tree is much to wide.
It would look great with a wider and bigger trunk under there, but that will take you decades. So if it was mine I would make the shilouet a lot slimmer so it would fit the trunks thickness.
But.....just my opinion nevertheless great tree always nice to see good white pines.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice progression Brian! Love to see those things.
White pine my personal favorite, but there's only one thing that doesn't fit the design that in my opinion is that the tree is much to wide.
It would look great with a wider and bigger trunk under there, but that will take you decades. So if it was mine I would make the shilouet a lot slimmer so it would fit the trunks thickness.
But.....just my opinion nevertheless great tree always nice to see good white pines.

Totally agree, and that is the plan...but no growth in the interior means it's going to take some time.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Spring '14 update...

Attachments

• IMG_5081.jpg
    IMG_5081.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 125

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great progress, Brian! It's been about 3 1/2 years since your first post.

JWP is slow...

Which is why I prefer JBP!

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice and healthy. Great job Brian!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Nice development. I Like the way the bottom branch is extending...it reminds me of a pine at the last Kokufu.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Had to take the time to go back and look at the first pic of the tree. Has come a long way, and is getting nice and full. Love white pine...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wonderful tree and thread. Few questions for you. You wired in the fall of 2012 and removed in fall of 2013? or was the wiring done in 2011 and then removed in 2013?

And what are your plans for this season now underway, heavy feeding and re-wire in the fall?

And as always, thank you for sharing your progression and knowledge with all of us.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wonderful tree and thread. Few questions for you. You wired in the fall of 2012 and removed in fall of 2013? or was the wiring done in 2011 and then removed in 2013?

And what are your plans for this season now underway, heavy feeding and re-wire in the fall?

And as always, thank you for sharing your progression and knowledge with all of us.

Thanks. I wired it in October '10 and removed wires in October '13.

Last year it was repotted, and this year it will be allowed to grow freely. This fall, I'll check progress on the grafts and begin the process of shortening some branches to tighten up the foliage. That's going to take a few years.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks. I wired it in October '10 and removed wires in October '13.

Last year it was repotted, and this year it will be allowed to grow freely. This fall, I'll check progress on the grafts and begin the process of shortening some branches to tighten up the foliage. That's going to take a few years.

Just to understand things clearly a redesign or a drastic change is not something that can take place over night in your opinion?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just to understand things clearly a redesign or a drastic change is not something that can take place over night in your opinion?

Somehow I get the sense you're trying to create a "gotcha" moment. I'm not interested...particularly if you intend to compare apples to pineapples.

If you have something to offer, please feel free to share it. I'm interested in all feasible ideas to advance the compaction of this white pine's foliage. Do you have a solution to share?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Somehow I get the sense you're trying to create a "gotcha" moment. I'm not interested...particularly if you intend to compare apples to pineapples.

If you have something to offer, please feel free to share it. I'm interested in all feasible ideas to advance the compaction of this white pine's foliage. Do you have a solution to share?

I just asked a simple but, if you put your personal prejudice aside, a crucial question: Just to understand things clearly a redesign or a drastic change is not something that can take place over night in your opinion?

I don't think this is a question you would take a side glance at if it was asked by any one but me. Why is it such an insult that you would be asked to address the issue of the time involved in achieving the redesign of a tree, or even your thoughts on it.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I just asked a simple but, if you put your personal prejudice aside, a crucial question: Just to understand things clearly a redesign or a drastic change is not something that can take place over night in your opinion?

I don't think this is a question you would take a side glance at if it was asked by any one but me. Why is it such an insult that you would be asked to address the issue of the time involved in achieving the redesign of a tree, or even your thoughts on it.

I am not insulted, but I am skeptical of your motive. You're 57 years into bonsai, asking this on a nearly 4-year-old thread; showing an old Japanese White Pine that I've left wired for longer than many people on this forum have even done bonsai.

So again, If you have something to offer, please feel free to share it. Perhaps you'd like to share your opinion on drastic change and overnight redesign?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am not insulted, but I am skeptical of your motive. You're 57 years into bonsai, asking this on a nearly 4-year-old thread; showing an old Japanese White Pine that I've left wired for longer than many people on this forum have even done bonsai.

So again, If you have something to offer, please feel free to share it. Perhaps you'd like to share your opinion on drastic change and overnight redesign?

I am curious as to how you are going to handle bringing the Pines growth into better scale with the trunk?

First of all I was not aware of how old the post was I do not always double check to see if this subject or that subject is in it's second decade any more than you read a post carefully enough to know a tree was in a resting period after redesign had begun the year before. Then you added the insult and commented that after 30 years of development I should find something else to do?

I have tried to let this go but after your obvious, doubiousl, and insincere virtuals of the same tree, on one of my threads, it is quite obvious you are not willing to do so. It seems that you think I am too FRICKIN stupid to know you just threw a pie in my face.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am curious as to how you are going to handle bringing the Pines growth into better scale with the trunk?

First of all I was not aware of how old the post was I do not always double check to see if this subject or that subject is in it's second decade any more than you read a post carefully enough to know a tree was in a resting period after redesign had begun the year before. Then you added the insult and commented that after 30 years of development I should find something else to do?

I have tried to let this go but after your obvious, doubiousl, and insincere virtuals of the same tree, on one of my threads, it is quite obvious you are not willing to do so. It seems that you think I am too FRICKIN stupid to know you just threw a pie in my face.

And there it is........the GOTCHA.

You wanted your pound of flesh for my daring to offer 1 post commenting on your shipmaku. I knew it was coming, even though nothing in that post was insulting, dubious, or insincere, nor was I questioning your intelligence, or how you spend 30 years. You simply cannot take criticism; fine, noted.

It's particularly interesting that you mentioned insincerity. You responded to my post stating you "appreciate" the virts, were "humbled that you would take the time", and even that you hoped to "...still maintain a civil relationship with you guys", then you manage to behave so uncivilly. I think you're the one throwing pie. Please stop wasting pie.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And there it is........the GOTCHA.

You wanted your pound of flesh for my daring to offer 1 post commenting on your shipmaku. I knew it was coming, even though nothing in that post was insulting, dubious, or insincere, nor was I questioning your intelligence, or how you spend 30 years. You simply cannot take criticism; fine, noted.

It's particularly interesting that you mentioned insincerity. You responded to my post stating you "appreciate" the virts, were "humbled that you would take the time", and even that you hoped to "...still maintain a civil relationship with you guys", then you manage to behave so uncivilly. I think you're the one throwing pie. Please stop wasting pie.

Yes I did until you responded to my question earlier in this post concerning your plans for and methods about dealing with a redesign and the process you plan on executing it further. You know a Gotcha moment can only happen when you set one up.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Left graft failed, right graft still hanging in there...
I left the branch bent and can try again later with the next shoot back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 76

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Will the same spot be used for the next try, or will you try a different spot?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Will the same spot be used for the next try, or will you try a different spot?
Probably try a little closer to the trunk if the scion will reach. Same spot may not have live cambium.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I wondered if that would be the case. Thanks for the updates.

Top Bottom