Jwp advice on styling & timing

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If what you need to wire is the little branches and twigs, you can wire them now. The heavy stuff is better wired in the fall.
heres a pic of the jwp. it was repotted about three weeks ago from nursery stock, and cleaned up. been fairing well, only have done bottom two branches with any kind of wire. EDIT: image seems small let me remedy

Attachments

• 7C564035-59C3-46AC-A954-1B137C0B7EB3_4_5005_c.jpeg
    7C564035-59C3-46AC-A954-1B137C0B7EB3_4_5005_c.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
you need to put the bb code

2022-02-11.png
img*]

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you need to put the bb code

View attachment 420019
img*]
It’s getting leggy. All your branches are getting to be too long.

Study this diagram:
CC543ABE-B29D-42B9-8A13-0EAC4296A271.jpeg

The needle stuff at the top of the page doesn’t apply, that’s for black pine. But trimming your branches back applies for all pines.

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s getting leggy. All your branches are getting to be too long.

Study this diagram:
View attachment 420020

The needle stuff at the top of the page doesn’t apply, that’s for black pine. But trimming your branches back applies for all pines.
So think i should spend the spring/summer looking it over deciding where i want to go forward with it, and come fall cut it back like what youve exampled?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, fall is the best time for wiring and styling, but the cut backs to shorten those primary branches will help you start to get better interior branching if you start it sooner.

If you wait until fall, the current dominant terminals will grii or w even longer and stronger. You existing side and interior branches will get weaker.

Cutting back now will force the tree to strengthen what’s left behind.

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, fall is the best time for wiring and styling, but the cut backs to shorten those primary branches will help you start to get better interior branching if you start it sooner.

If you wait until fall, the current dominant terminals will grii or w even longer and stronger. You existing side and interior branches will get weaker.

Cutting back now will force the tree to strengthen what’s left behind.
i see, im going to spend today mulling over the cuts to make, im concerned because of the cleaning i did to the branches removing my inner foilage.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i see, im going to spend today mulling over the cuts to make, im concerned because of the cleaning i did to the branches removing my inner foilage.
Why did you remove inner foliage? That’s GOLD!!! You WANT inner foliage!

When styling pines, we suppress the outer foliage in order to encourage inner foliage!

Look at my avatar tree. Yes, there is some negative space between some of the branches, but, for the most part, all the branches have dense inner foliage. Over time, branches will get too long. And to shorten them, we have to cut back to a side branch, and make it become the new terminal. Having lots of “back branches” allows the tree to maintain it’s basic style for decades.

I am always trying to encourage all my pines to keep interior branches.

Last edited:

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why did you remove inner foliage? That’s GOLD!!! You WANT inner foliage!

When styling pines, we suppress the outer foliage in order to encourage inner foliage!
self admittedly rookie mistake when i got it from the nursery, i hadnt thought out how leggy it seems, i was hoping to remove branch length via down wiring.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
self admittedly rookie mistake when i got it from the nursery, i hadnt thought out how leggy it seems, i was hoping to remove branch length via down wiring.
We all learn from our mistakes.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, we hat you should have done was to cut the leaders back, and then used wire to position a side branch to take it’s place. This would shorten the branch and create taper.

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, we hat you should have done was to cut the leaders back, and then used wire to position a side branch to take it’s place. This would shorten the branch and create taper.
after discussing i think im going to err on safety and give it this year to reestablish roots and come back and get it a bit in the fall, and again the next. itll be worth it to do it patiently as i learn the species.

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Suppose that OP did prune back now. Just how far back could he prune all those primary branches? Would he have to leave buds somewhere?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Suppose that OP did prune back now. Just how far back could he prune all those primary branches? Would he have to leave buds somewhere?
You have to prune back to a branch with buds, and preferably, those buds should be fairly robust. Removing all the strong buds on a branch and leaving only small, weak buds will weaken the branch and slow it's development. Removing all the buds on a branch will kill it, generally.

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have to prune back to a branch with buds, and preferably, those buds should be fairly robust. Removing all the strong buds on a branch and leaving only small, weak buds will weaken the branch and slow it's development. Removing all the buds on a branch will kill it, generally.
In Adair's drawing, except for the very bottom branches, it looks like most of the terminal buds were pruned off.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
In Adair's drawing, except for the very bottom branches, it looks like most of the terminal buds were pruned off.
That diagram is for JBP, a 2 flush pine and not JWP, a single flush pine. Building the structure of the branches between the two species is the same (why Adair posted it), but pruning technique is completely different. Do that to a JWP and you may kill it outright.

Indoschino

Seed
Reaction score
How does one go about pruning / treating a Japanese White Pine?

Does the needles / buds reduction to last 2 pairs per branch for JWP differ from Adair's JBP diagram?

Reducing legginess : Top-Down? (Changing Apex leaders, harmonizing the energy) Or Down-Up? (Looking at nebari, and deciding which lower branches to strengthen)?

What special cares are imperative for Single Flush Pines like JWP?

Any experienced Piners able to chime in?

Thanks in advance~~~

Top Bottom