ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's another shohin seminar acquisition - a long lanky Kishu.
I'm partial to the small tree I think I see in the lowest branch, so I'm layering off the top . . .
image.jpeg
. . . could be vaguely tree-ish up here too.
image.jpeg
Two layers at once really:
image.jpeg
Ugly, but hopefully effective:
image.jpeg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I decided I wanted to have this layer in a pot instead of leaving it in just the sphag-n-bag, so I peeked today:

image.jpeg

A few roots showing already, after just a month. I propped the base up at an angle so I could have the layer's split pot be upright. It looks pretty funny with the branch sticking out of a hole in the side of he pot!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I decided I wanted to have this layer in a pot instead of leaving it in just the sphag-n-bag, so I peeked today:

View attachment 98780

A few roots showing already, after just a month. I propped the base up at an angle so I could have the layer's split pot be upright. It looks pretty funny with the branch sticking out of a hole in the side of he pot!
Wow! Those are some quick roots! Good job!

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I covered the soil surface with sphagnum and put it in the shade . . . We'll see. It will be instructive either way, and I'm one step closer to working the tree at the bottom.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also, my sneaking suspicion that the second half of this double layer had bridged were confirmed. I recut and went back to moss and foil for a while . . .

image.jpeg

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
[Juniper nana]
So starting it in the pot in the first place would have had more or a better effect?
Interesting because I'm air layering a juniper raft in a pot.
I couldn't use the spagh method on it though because the pot shape and size was shallow. What difference do you think that will make if any?
Mine has a timed drip watering schedule "me". Greenhouse circulation + ceiling fan on low during the sunniest and hottest hours of the days.
And for the last 2 weeks the bright green foliage hasn't changed, so that tells me it's rooting or at least the rooting is starting to take.
The lower half below the pot foliage, changes shades constantly, and is back budding in the strangest places.
I did do some pruning 3 days before on the lower half before I planted the raft layer.
It's not Kishu so I'm somewhat off topic but not entirely, I'm just looking thru conversation and answers.
What did you use to seal the chop with?

Top Bottom