Least favorite thing about Bonsai ???

frozenlarch

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I consider my trees works of art. In the winter I have to put all of my works of art away and look at empty benches all winter. Like an art gallery with no paintings is my back yard Oct 31-May1(or later).

Total Drag!!

I'm inclined to agree.

The only thing worse than 6 months without greenery, would be none at all.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I actually enjoy wiring and un-wiring once I am in the process because It is totally absorbing and great therapy as I am able to concentrate on it completely and forget all the other stresses of life for a while.
The worst for me is when trees or portions of trees die. I usually blame myself for being impatient and overworking trees.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My least favorite thing is the lack of good material in a certain price range. I'd also have to throw in not having enough time to tend to the trees as much as I'd like.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only thing about bonsai that I don't like is when I don't have time to do it. ;)

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My most routine least favorite thing is second-guessing myself as to proper timing for a certain event, like repotting, pruning, layering, collecting, etc. Most trees have different schedules, and I hate not being able to just do it, whatever it is. When I'm in the mood and motivated, I hate having to stop and redirect.
I also hate finding insect problems,or horticultural issues on my crop. Sucks.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
At the risk of being called a grump again, it's being pulled away from my trees for silly questions like this.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At the risk of being called a grump again, it's being pulled away from my trees for silly questions like this.
Well, Jim, this MUST mean that you have the internet calling you while you are literally pruning your trees. I'm pretty sure the trees didnt tell you to go online and look up "dumb questions to respond to so I can waste my time yet again", now did they?

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What's your least favorite thing about Bonsai ???

For me, I gotta say it's removing all the wire from a tree
that has been fully wired !!!

That is what students are for. !! Lal ( laugh a little)

Have to concur with Saw on this one. Wiring fells like creation, building layers, designing.

Cutting wire off is boring, distructive (slightly, cmon guys you know )

My first timers to come work with me get the ole, to learn to wire, you must take off wire.

Works for awhile

Hope none are reading this

100_2276.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wood ticks in my yamadori hunting grounds. They are out in force at the same time of year collecting can be done. One day I found over 50 on my dog and about 30 on myself. We rarely get bit but have to stop and check every 10 mins or so. There is a small risk of both Rocky Mountain spotted fever and lymes disease. I tuck my pants into sox, shirt into pants and wear a very stylish baby blue balaclava tucked into shirt, quite the sight on a hot spring day I can tell you. All clothing is bagged before getting into the car. Still the critters can show up in the house and yard days later.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had to stop bringing the dog because of the ticks, also the terrain is usually to steep and gnarly for a dog.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trying to fit 10 lbs. of tree into a 5 lb. pot......

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I understand the reasons behind it, but the high price of quality material, nursery grown or collected, is my least favorite aspect of bonsai.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am from NY, although I wasnt born here. I laughed at NYBonsai's post about time and patience. So true but Ive learned to live with it.

Least favorite things:

The whole time factor and the fact that at this point in my life, there will be some trees Ill never see "finished"

Wishing I had started bonsai 20 years ago.

Weather extremes that make me worry about the trees and force me to move them in/out of the garage repeatedly in the spring. Also the heat extremes in the summer that make me worry they are gona get fried.

Losing a nice tree. Lost one this year that had a very nice trunk and had the potential to be something really nice in the future. Was the first loss that really made me sad. :(

Not having enough room for more trees. :p

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Honey-Do's" that stack up when I have a lot of bonsai work to get done... My wife doesn't allways have the same priorities I do... women can be funny like that ;)

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, our zones are awesome, we get the winter off bonsai wise , give us more time to go skiing!
Monte

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, our zones are awesome, we get the winter off bonsai wise , give us more time to go skiing!
Monte

True but bonsai growth/changes literally take twice as long, my trees spent six months in winter storage this year. (early deep freeze and late deep freeze, not a normal year)

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd have to say the only negative thing I've found is that it has distracted me from other hobbies and activities... sleeping among them.

Top Bottom