Mame contest idea

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The one in the blue cascade pot that is weeping..le hat species is that?
Oh you mean the really tiny pot......
No idea........
Some type of supertough something.....starting to leaf out.....you may be able to tell me once it does

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well I thought only one of my bougies survived the winter but just noticed the second one is waking up now too so that is a bonus. My ficus cutting doesn't appear to have taken, none of the cuttings are showing any sign of life so I think I'm down to two entries now. Going to wait until summer then see how they go in proper pots.

This winter has taught me that I really need to have a greenhouse that I can heat on the colder nights and one that wont blow away in the wind which I think is the bigger challenge.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...This winter has taught me that I really need to have a greenhouse that I can heat on the colder nights and one that wont blow away in the wind which I think is the bigger challenge.
Really? How low the temperature gets at zone 10b I wonder?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some works in progress.....sorry for you Amerkins because my tape measure only goes by centimetres.....anyway your continent needs to get with the whole metric system......
It takes about 4 to five years to develop a really nice tree....more if the tree has stress.
I can see there are six different trees on those photos.
May I ask which of them are the three candidate for the contest trees?
Haven't got enough time to search previous posts of you.... so if you have stated this before, please ignore my question.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The Lonicera was the first one to be repotted early in April.
Has been pruned and from now on I am hoping it will get dense and compact.
We'll see.... :)
The pot is an ordinary one but it has a distinct feature, a small sea shell on one of its corners.
If the tree ever flowers I think its white blossoms will complement the white shell.

April_Loni.JPG

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The other two were repotted yesterday. A little later than the first because Bougainvillea and Olea as well like to be repotted in hotter weather.

The Olea has been pruned but it needs wiring.
I will do this after the tree has recovered from the repotting stress.
Looking forward to future compactness.
It is into a hand made pot by my friend Elena Stathopoulou.

April_Olea.JPG

And here is the Bougainvillea into an ordinary conical square pot, deeper because the tree is a flowering species.
The form is closer to broom and I will style it based on that.
No pruning for this yet.

April_Boug.JPG

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Really? How low the temperature gets at zone 10b I wonder?

Well this last winter was particularly bad, for the first time since I have been here it got to minus temps. It's not exactly normal here but the damage was done at about 1 & 2 Deg C which was made worse by the relentless winds. Normally it is rare to get to zero and is manageable.

A greenhouse should be a good buffer zone for my tropicals and would probably keep my bougies in leaf all year round. Plus a wind shelter.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My two entries are looking pretty sketchy. They were fine, then kind of started going down hill. I think they're sick and tired of being inside.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 2 of 3 thriving (tropicals) But my creepy Virginia creeper hasn't shown life yet.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well my crepe myrtle didn't make it through winter. And I haven't touched my Norway maple yet. And I just opened my airlayer today (It seemed to late in the year to separate last year)
But I opened it to find that it just calloused up, no roots but it didn't bridge the gap
IMG_7341.JPG

Anyone know why that might have happened?

So I carved away at it again and this time I used sphagnum moss and saran wrap like I should have the first time.
IMG_7343.JPG
IMG_7346.JPG
Fingers crossed
PS sorry for the poor photos my phone is broken, I can only use the front camera and it was getting late too

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@TyroTinker sorry for the loss of the Lagerstroemia.
You did very well with the renewal of the air layer and I do hope this time it will sprout new roots.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
As long as the pot is no bigger then 4.5 inch on the longest side its good.
It doesnt matter if it isnt the final pot yet i think these little trees need to be repotted every year anyway.

I missed this, as much as I would love to reveal the pot at the final stage I get the feeling that making up a little training pot whether it be out of wood, plastic, terracotta or what not may defeat the purpose of keeping the trees alive in a mame pot for the duration. Stoneware would behave differently and would truly represent the trees survival over the contest. At least that is my thinking. I'm torn on this. In a good way though. That said I do see the benefit of reducing the pot size over time to a smaller pot, one pot I was considering does worry me that the initial shock may be too much.

I have one pot chosen and naturally the tree I wanted it for has had winter dieback but I think it will work with the other tree anyway so just have to change my tact.

Last edited:

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The mini Thai's have both now been hacked back, roots cut and into decent soil.
Going to be interesting in further cutting back the roots next year for the pots.

View attachment 149729

For some reason I was positive that these two were my entries but in going back and checking turns out I only entered the one on the left. lol
Oh well, still going to work the other as a mameish one so all good.

For the update thread do they need to be in the pot yet?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For some reason I was positive that these two were my entries but in going back and checking turns out I only entered the one on the left. lol
Oh well, still going to work the other as a mameish one so all good.

For the update thread do they need to be in the pot yet?

Part two:
prepare it and get it in the mame sized pot.
1 year and 3 months
(20-08-2017 -- 20-11-2018)

no it doesnt have to be in the mame sized pot yet it does by 20-11-2018

you have entered this trees i pulled out of the entry thread:
1 Bougainvillea Mini-Thai.
2 Ficus root cutting
3 rough start

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol, rough start?

I have just the one entry left the bougie.

Post #6 in the entry thread:
2x bougie

First up a Bougainvillea Mini-Thai......

View attachment 147813

Secondly is a Bougainvillea Alexandra.....

View attachment 147814

and post #10 entry thread:

My third entry has already had a rough start, it was a casualty when I over ferted a few trees so looks real scruffy now. All I did was get the old soil out and freshened it up with cat litter and pine bark to try and flush it out and it has responded well enough.

If nothing else and it survives I will have the dodgiest before pic for the before and after comparison.

View attachment 148783
See, it lives.

View attachment 148784

For now.

and then page two entry thread post #25

This is my replacement entry for the Bougie Alexandria as I have decided to withdraw that one due to unsuitability.

This one is a Coprosma.

View attachment 152644

this is what ive all got out of the entry thread ;)
now you get the rough start :p

Top Bottom