Mame contest idea

USDA Zone
7a
How does watering work with mame trees? I'd imagine that they would dry out at a stupid fast rate.
You can set the pots in larger pots and let the roots escape through the drainage holes. It works well to get the trees through summer. I'm sure this technique has been around forever but I learned of it through @jeremy_norbury.

defra

Masterpiece
USDA Zone
8b
You can set the pots in larger pots and let the roots escape through the drainage holes. It works well to get the trees through summer. I'm sure this technique has been around forever but I learned of it through @jeremy_norbury.

As addition to this you could also place spaghmum moss on the small pot that helps a bunch too

defra

Masterpiece
USDA Zone
8b
@VAFisher
Nice tree's you got, you are setting the bar high !

Also thnx allot for adding the extra progression pics it realy shows why mame trees are such fun with such small material where the comment would be grow a thick trunk first with these little tree's building of primary branching starts rather quick and shows fast results with normaly uninteresting small cheap stock

USDA Zone
7a
@VAFisher
Nice tree's you got, you are setting the bar high !

Also thnx allot for adding the extra progression pics it realy shows why mame trees are such fun with such small material where the comment would be grow a thick trunk first with these little tree's building of primary branching starts rather quick and shows fast results with normaly uninteresting small cheap stock
Thanks! I'm definitely enjoying them. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's progression.

USDA Zone
9A
I just found out about this. This is so cool. Of course I'm not going to even try to enter so I'll just follow along for fun.
I got a cutting of bald cypress that I'm going to attempt to put into a mame sized pot this spring. It wont' be much of a bonsai but it will be a lot of fun!

USDA Zone
Got this guy into an appropriate size pot which has much more volume than the 5 inch trainer. Not sure he is happy about it but...
I'll get pics of all three posted in the update thread soon. IMG_20181009_111059750.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
defra Contests 13
FilipMerynos Tropicals 6
defra Contests 31
Johnathan Tropicals 5
defra Contests 58