Mame contest idea

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Many of us grow trees only in pots, plastic, terracotta...seedlings, cuttings...these shouln't be disqualified I think.
I'd say that it's better to get things completely clear from the beginning in order to avoid misunderstandings. That was my point.
I have no reason to disagree that the tree in question shouldn't be disqualified.
I think Darlene @Cadillactaste has a valid comment regarding the "before" of the raw material and the "after" photo.

Reaction score
I don't have a photo of the F. pumila from the box store. Here is what they look like:

pumilanc.jpg

Here is the photo from the "show us your mame thread", where it was just potted:

pumila.JPG

And here it is, 5 minutes ago, with around three more leaves:

pumila current.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with you. ladies, both. The things should be documented well.
But there's planty trees that have some history, origin etc. Many trees grown with a question mark, then a decision to reduce hight, chop them for something smaller comes. Hmmm, but they have already been trained, wired however it can have no other impact than a used trunk size. Food for thought. @defra ?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with you. ladies, both. The things should be documented well.
But there's planty trees that have some history, origin etc. Many trees grown with a question mark, then a decision to reduce hight, chop them for something smaller comes. Hmmm, but they have already been trained, wired however it can have no other impact than a used trunk size. Food for thought. @defra ?
I think the more we over think...the more complicated it gets. I would think raw stock...that has not been worked by a person. No previous bonsai techniques to it...no root work and such...no? Or would it not already have a head start if it's been root pruned and others have not and root work? Honestly...I think say...a cutting that has nothing more than rooted is considered raw stock...an air layer...you are removing a section that may have been previously worked...but, air layering is a skill of its own...so...it's already been classified as okay. A lot of gray areas for ones to question...my material I actually bought for the flaw...no good nebari...root cutting that is raw and not been worked. I feel in all honesty that is fare material. My goji...I feel is not fare to place in the contest. Even though I've not so much as put one piece of wire on it yet. Other than water and fertilize it's just grew on my shelf once it woke up. But...it's to me...Mame size and has good bones in my opinion...if you like that style. But in the air sort of look.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the more we over think...the more complicated it gets. I would think raw stock...that has not been worked by a person. No previous bonsai techniques to it...no root work and such...no? Or would it not already have a head start if it's been root pruned and others have not and root work? ... ...
Exactly!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The health of the tree having one root prune in and growing healthy surely has benefit over one who has not root pruned and will need to do it. So, when placed into a Mame pot...if it has been pruned to get into the bonsai pot. Then, less stress when placed in a Mame pot...no? Don't seem fare. Unless the pot it's in...is HUGE and it wasn't overly root pruned?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't have a photo of the F. pumila from the box store. Here is what they look like:

View attachment 147164

Here is the photo from the "show us your mame thread", where it was just potted:

View attachment 147165

And here it is, 5 minutes ago, with around three more leaves:

View attachment 147166

Promising project. F . pumila doesn't like direct sunlight and the feet too wet.
I think the more we over think...the more complicated it gets. I would think raw stock...that has not been worked by a person. No previous bonsai techniques to it...no root work and such...no? Or would it not already have a head start if it's been root pruned and others have not and root work? Honestly...I think say...a cutting that has nothing more than rooted is considered raw stock...an air layer...you are removing a section that may have been previously worked...but, air layering is a skill of its own...so...it's already been classified as okay. A lot of gray areas for ones to question...my material I actually bought for the flaw...no good nebari...root cutting that is raw and not been worked. I feel in all honesty that is fare material. My goji...I feel is not fare to place in the contest. Even though I've not so much as put one piece of wire on it yet. Other than water and fertilize it's just grew on my shelf once it woke up. But...it's to me...Mame size and has good bones in my opinion...if you like that style. But in the air sort of look.
I think this is the idea of the contest, you are right.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Promising project. F . pumila doesn't like direct sunlight and the feet too wet.

They're all indoors, I chose these tropicals for a reason. ;)

These would never survive outside. Mame-sized non-succulents dry out and perish, even with four waterings a day here in the summer.

Strong (proven) LED grow light, and straight lava keeps any of them from being too wet. I've found out that allowing them to dry slightly after watering and wrapping the pot in a plastic bag to up the humidity will cause Ficus and Bougainvillea to start shooting out roots rapidly. They're periodically unwrapped, watered, allowed to dry, re-watered and then wrapped again to discourage fungus and rot. The lava is coarse for the pot size, I can see between the particles and out of the drain hole in the bottom of the pumila's pot.

All three of mine in the contest thread are pretty much at the same step, establish a stronger root system. Two just happen to be in their final pots. My Bougainvillea will have exposed roots, so the old nursery pot rootball had to go.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Before the post in the entry thread i recieved a pm from the poster of the mentioned tree with the question if it would qualify for the contest i told him i tought it would be fine.

Why ?

Its in a pot larger then a mame size pot its actualy a chopped trunk wich has to be developed from scratch and still will be a fair challenge to do so and keep it alive trough the contest will be the same challenge for everyone

@Cadillactaste your goji would be allowed to

About the photos with a date stamp to see if it aint cheating i do trust people to be fair if they arnt the only one they will fool is themselves

Also its up to the voters to vote for what they think is the best entry and best progression in the end so if one think the entry of the tree we are talking about isnt fair they wont vote for it.

I dindt put up to much rules and restrictions so it would be a contest anyone could join

My apollogy's for my shita grammar lol

If anyone has seccond toughts if something is acceptable pm me or post the tree in this thread first

----------
Example:
I got this potentilla chopped and potted some time ago and it already is going the right direction i think this tree has to much of a head start if i would entered it
rps20170522_225643.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They're all indoors, I chose these tropicals for a reason. ;)

These would never survive outside. Mame-sized non-succulents dry out and perish, even with four waterings a day here in the summer.

Strong (proven) LED grow light, and straight lava keeps any of them from being too wet. I've found out that allowing them to dry slightly after watering and wrapping the pot in a plastic bag to up the humidity will cause Ficus and Bougainvillea to start shooting out roots rapidly. They're periodically unwrapped, watered, allowed to dry, re-watered and then wrapped again to discourage fungus and rot. The lava is coarse for the pot size, I can see between the particles and out of the drain hole in the bottom of the pumila's pot.

All three of mine in the contest thread are pretty much at the same step, establish a stronger root system. Two just happen to be in their final pots. My Bougainvillea will have exposed roots, so the old nursery pot rootball had to go.
I can't see where you live from your profile, just thoughts from 6a zone.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Before the post in the entry thread i recieved a pm from the poster of the mentioned tree with the question if it would qualify for the contest i told him i tought it would be fine.

Why ?

Its in a pot larger then a mame size pot its actualy a chopped trunk wich has to be developed from scratch and still will be a fair challenge to do so and keep it alive trough the contest will be the same challenge for everyone

@Cadillactaste your goji would be allowed to

About the photos with a date stamp to see if it aint cheating i do trust people to be fair if they arnt the only one they will fool is themselves

Also its up to the voters to vote for what they think is the best entry and best progression in the end so if one think the entry of the tree we are talking about isnt fair they wont vote for it.

I dindt put up to much rules and restrictions so it would be a contest anyone could join

My apollogy's for my shita grammar lol

If anyone has seccond toughts if something is acceptable pm me or post the tree in this thread first

----------
Example:
I got this potentilla chopped and potted some time ago and it already is going the right direction i think this tree has to much of a head start if i would entered it
View attachment 147171

I'm not worried about a time stamp. But was told the photo was one shared weeks ago. Only made me think...a current photo as rules always applied in past should apply. No time stamp needed to know it was shared weeks ago. ;) That's all...

So a much larger pot...So it's upsized and not a lot of roots removed then I'm assuming. Okay...if a lot of roots removed, then when reduced again for Mame pot...it would not possibly sulk as much as one who goes directly from large pot to small with a heavy root prune. That means ones need to choose a species that handles severe root prunes easily. Which is what I did...mine shouldn't skip a beat. :cool:

Your photo...I don't see the difference in yours than my own Goji other than yours is thicker? I guess it is your deferral as to if ones can register their tree. If one is unsure...they then run it by you. I'm still feeling the goji unfair...I guess I will wait to see what others submit...before making a final decision based on my own entry of the Goji. But appreciate your being generous...my cutting for the contest...I will share once I get good photos of it. The pup chewed up my white background poster board. Lol need to go by another one.

I seen some white something going on upper top left of your photo...pests? Might want to take a closer look...

I'm in this contest for the fun of it...and an excuse to add something to my collection. :oops::D It's going to be fun...let us all just have fun and enjoy the ride...going to go check the date of in pot...I'm hoping I can share photos of my deciduous tree in leaf...or budding out to a degree for a photo for the contest at least. Since the final is a silhouette shot. Which...I think is still cool! :cool:

I do appreciate your heading up this contest...to shed light on Mame trees that are somewhat overlooked. It is a different playing field. Their needs slightly different...so a good contest for us indeed! Thanks again!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's a give And take there....

A tree out of a mame pot can develop more this year...

So while TT got em in pots....
He is sacrificing a bit of stronger growth.

Then there is the part where he went first...
So we know what to beat.

No worries...

All fun yes?

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's a give And take there....

A tree out of a mame pot can develop more this year...

So while TT got em in pots....
He is sacrificing a bit of stronger growth.

Then there is the part where he went first...
So we know what to beat.

No worries...

All fun yes?

Sorce
So right Sorce!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think...the one having it a pot...a smaller bonsai pot gave ones pause...with it being the second step in the contest. I hope many join the contest...this is for fun! But it just makes ones question what they have for material with I think a broader playing field with material. That said...defer the tree to Defra and get the okay if you are questioning your material or feel others may. Simple as that...with us not really grasping all of The ins and outs.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
.with us not really grasping all of The ins and outs.
What's there to grasp?
Use a tree that hasn't been trained for mame yet.
Whether it's bought,dug or stolen.
Get it into a little pot next year.
Win the contest 2 years later.
If someone jumps the gun and puts it into a pot early then it is better for the rest of the contestants. Because they lose out on all of the good growth that is lost in a pot. @sorce is right.
The way I look at is like this.
Don't care what the other contestants are doing.
Rely on your own skills you have learned and will learn in 3 years.
Put your best foot forward.
And go look for trees that are ready and fit the size requirements to be mame bonsai.
Small leaves. Fine twigging. Good backbudding. Can take drastic root work.
Not all trees fit this criteria.
Ones that do will almost all be deciduous trees.
Elms,cotonester,trident maples maybe kingsville boxwoods. Things like that.
Go back and look through all of Jim Lewis' threads. Check out what he used and did. He was good at the little guys. And I know you miss him so slip into a JKL mindset and use this to honor him.
Sounds cool if you think about it doesn't it Darlene?
Channel your inner JKL and kick some mame ass!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dang gone it @M. Frary ...make me tear up. I so respected that man!

I was thinking the tree in a pot...not a mame pot. So reduced roots but not harshly. Had not seen a photo. The one is on my ignore. Hearing it's a mame pot...he's at a disadvantage for sure. I've no problem with his tree then. His tree will recover as our own will when roots reduced for said pot.

But if I go hunting up old posts...I may need more material. Lol

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang gone it @M. Frary ...make me tear up. I so respected that man!

I was thinking the tree in a pot...not a mame pot. So reduced roots but not harshly. Had not seen a photo. The one is on my ignore. Hearing it's a mame pot...he's at a disadvantage for sure. I've no problem with his tree then. His tree will recover as our own will when roots reduced for said pot.

But if I go hunting up old posts...I may need more material. Lol
See?
Now you are getting It!
Channel that scabby old JKL and get out there and kick some butt!
If you don't name one Jimmy I will!

Top Bottom