MIRAI YATSUBUSA ELM

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Segio, You are doing an excellent job training your Yatsubusa Chinese Elm bonsai!

Thought I’d show you my Yatsubusa Chinese Elm, which is the mother stock plant of thousands of new specimens. The plant is one of my cuttings and the B&W photo was taken when I planted the tree next to the garage (18’ tall) around 1990. So this the size one can expect from a tree only about 35 years old, planted in a garden. And, don't forget I live in the frigid north Upstate New York. Just think what the size it would attain in warmer area....

Note the tall height and heavy trunk with rough corking bark. Periodically I remove branches 8-10 feet in length which shade the bonsai below.

Many years ago I had a Golden Japanese Back Pine garden tree planted to the right of the Yatsubusa Chinese Elm. I gave it to a friend for his garden and when dug the tree he accidentally cut off one of the surface roots from the elm. Well, it became an ideal root cutting and trained it to a cascade bonsai. It is on my right in a square dark blue Chinese cascade pot.

View attachment 261020
View attachment 261021View attachment 261022View attachment 261024
Almost seems odd to see a full size one! Very cool.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Segio, You are doing an excellent job training your Yatsubusa Chinese Elm bonsai!

Thought I’d show you my Yatsubusa Chinese Elm, which is the mother stock plant of thousands of new specimens. The plant is one of my cuttings and the B&W photo was taken when I planted the tree next to the garage (18’ tall) around 1990. So this the size one can expect from a tree only about 35 years old, planted in a garden. And, don't forget I live in the frigid north Upstate New York. Just think what the size it would attain in warmer area....

Note the tall height and heavy trunk with rough corking bark. Periodically I remove branches 8-10 feet in length which shade the bonsai below.

Many years ago I had a Golden Japanese Back Pine garden tree planted to the right of the Yatsubusa Chinese Elm. I gave it to a friend for his garden and when dug the tree he accidentally cut off one of the surface roots from the elm. Well, it became an ideal root cutting and trained it to a cascade bonsai. It is on my right in a square dark blue Chinese cascade pot.

View attachment 261020
View attachment 261021View attachment 261022View attachment 261024

Thank you Bill! I had admired this elm among the many other trees in your landscape when I was there taking your master class a few years back. I remember at the time asking Alan what it was. This tree and your many elm bonsai definitely inspired me to get this one from Ryan. Thank you for the inspiration always!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those leaves are so damn tiny!!!
maybe the size of the tree makes them look that way but by proportions this tree looks huge.. bark so old.. it’s exactly what we aim for with Bonsai, no?
This suits a black background so extremely well too.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leaves finally turned and one of the very last trees to do so in my garden. Looking forward to do further improvements and refinements next spring.

Incredible!!!

My Beautyberry was the first to turn this year, and my trident was the last.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those leaves are so damn tiny!!!
maybe the size of the tree makes them look that way but by proportions this tree looks huge.. bark so old.. it’s exactly what we aim for with Bonsai, no?
This suits a black background so extremely well too.

The small leaves definitely add a great sense of scale. But the tree itself is quite big at around 42" (106 cm) tall from soil level. What originally attracted me to this tree was that it looked like a tree I had seen in nature specially old oaks. The bark is quite incredible!

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another beautiful tree. Keep the updates coming, love to see your trees.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Super tree, absolutely stunning in those pictures. Probably even more so in real

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Super tree, absolutely stunning in those pictures. Probably even more so in real

@Djtommy Thanks! Yes it is way better in person. Photos barely capture its hugely dimensional quality and physical presence no matter how I try to photograph it. It is a true beast of a tree! :eek:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just starting to bud. The tiny green buds make a beautiful contrast against the extremely rough bark. Just recently cleaned and wired where necessary to redirect or reset some of the branches. Some of the thicker gage wires that were applied last year will remain until they start to bite in. Skipping repotting this year as water still drains freely. Most likely it will need it next year. The tree is developing quite nicely and a thread graft that was completed last year at the back is also doing well. Hoping this to be my entry for the Nationals in 2022 or 2024.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Man,that’s an elm....I see at least 9 trees there.....air-layer it!

jk
this Bonsai is the bomb.You do not see too many prime examples as this yatsubusa....just wow dude......totally grand daddy oak style or gnarly old tree of some species.I see many granddaddy trees like this in nature of many species really.

Top Bottom